cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being punished for following eBay's procedure.

Accepted an offer on an item, buyer never paid so I did as eBay suggests opened the non-payment case then the "buyer" mysteriously pays I ship the item out now they mysteriously have a problem with the item, why must I be punished for following proper protocol? It's clear many buyers get angry when you open a case on them and if the item is cheap enough they will go ahead and pay to dodge a well deserved non-payment strike and to punish the seller for merey following protocol.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Being punished for following eBay's procedure.

Why should a buyer automatically be assumed to be a liar?

Why should a seller automatically be assumed to be a liar when they say there was no stain?      

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

This is simple.

Please return the item in the next 30 days for a full refund.  And then say nothing else.  They are just looking to get some money back-don't fall for it.

Even if they complain and open a dispute-that's still the answer.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

None of that is required or necessary.  The buyer knows they won and need to pay.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@divwidowrote:

This is simple.

Please return the item in the next 30 days for a full refund.  And then say nothing else.  They are just looking to get some money back-don't fall for it.

Even if they complain and open a dispute-that's still the answer.

My whole point is I shouldn't have been put in this situation in the first place, eBay forces me to anger people with their policies and they know it, if someone is already a psycho vindictive scammer a UID is an invitation to up the ante especially if the item is fairly inexpensive, was I just supposed to wait an untold amount of time without a response? It seems odd that someone can't see the messages asking for payment or asking if they want to cancel but they appear within mere seconds if a UID is filed.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I propose they pay the return shipping for allowing this liar to slip on by without the non-payment strike he deserved.

I went through this with a buyer who won a dozen items!  I communicted a lot, but had to open the dispute before the 30 days elapsed on the first purchases.  Immediately upon opening the disupte, this completely non-communicative buyer messaged me back with a hostile threatening rant, paid, and left me 13 neg.s for prior transactions that I'd already shipped.  eBay wouldn't do a thing.

I had to go all passive-agressive on them and threaten them that I'd get them kicked off eBay (an idle and useless threat I could not actually back up) to get them to do 13 feedback revisions.  We eventually exchanged f/b revisions for cancelled transactions, but because of the situation, I made them do one revision at a time, with one cancellation at a time following each revision. 

A truly ugly situation caused by eBay's procedures.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

So your buyer gets their knickers in a twist because you filed a case, and now you're getting your knickers in a twist because your buyer files a case.

Sounds like two people need to untwist themselves and stop taking a business transaction personally.

Buyers know they need to pay. If they don't, or can't, they should have the decency to either let the seller know, or respond to the seller if the seller inquires about payment.  If they don't, then they should accept the unpaid strike because they failed to live up to their responsibility to pay.  Failure to do what you're supposed to do has consequences.

Sellers need to stop taking this stuff as a personal assault and just deal with the transaction in a businesslike manner.

In your case, the UID should have nothing to do with the return from a business standpoint. Treat it like any other return.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@divwidowrote:

None of that is required or necessary.  The buyer knows they won and need to pay.

I never said it was required or necessary. 

The OP said he followed eBay's procedure, but only mentioned the third step of that procedure. 

I listed the first two steps and asked whether the OP had followed the entire procedure.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@ted_200wrote:

I don't recall ever seeing this suggestion from eBay, but that is indeed what I do anyhow.

It is right there on their "Resolving Unpaid Items With Buyers" page:

"Here's what you can do if a buyer doesn't pay:

• Get in touch with the buyer to find out why they haven't paid
  • Send the buyer an invoice to remind them to pay
  • If the buyer doesn't respond to your message or invoice and still hasn't paid ..."

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items?id=4137

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@luckythewinnerwrote:

@ted_200wrote:

I don't recall ever seeing this suggestion from eBay, but that is indeed what I do anyhow.

• If the buyer doesn't respond to your message or invoice and still hasn't paid ..."

Well, good. 

I never liked the sound of the eBay "payment reminders", and turned mine off since they will pester buyers I already have agreed can wait to pay, which is why I've always taken those additional steps... generally two invoices, and two Messages... before I open any UIDs. 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@luckythewinnerwrote:

@ted_200wrote:

Sounds like they need to mention that a buyer can pay at the last second and lie about the item to cost you return shipping.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

When a buyer wins, they get an email to pay. They get the bell icon and the item goes into their cart. 

24 hours later, eBay sends a reminder. EBay should continue on that every 2 days, and then when a seller files for the NPB that should be it. Too late to pay now.

But taking it to a formal case for non payment and threatening the buyer that if they don't pay......

Yes, you will get people to pay that had no intentions, but at what cost? When the case is opened and the buyer hasn't paid in a week, with how many reminders from eBay, why force the seller to either wait another 4 days or have a buyer that is upset that they were coerced to pay for something they don't want.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 26 of 27
latest reply