cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Competitor Makes Some Big Changes

ebay competitor Mercari announced some big changes today. The best summary I've seen is here:

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/mercari-shifts-fees-buyers-returns-any-reason/

Will this impact ebay's strategy going forward, or will it have little or no effect? I don't know, but it will be interesting to see what the next ebay Seller Update contains....

Message 1 of 183
latest reply
182 REPLIES 182

Re: Another Competitor Makes Some Big Changes

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

One thing that WILL happen (for any buyers that stick around after seeing the additional fees) will be even MORE haggling and low balling offers (which Mercari is already known for).

Yes, exactly - that's one of the points I was trying to make - Mercari has a haggle/discount culture and this change will only lead to more haggling and low balls, even on items where the seller has discounted to cover the buyer fee.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 106 of 183
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I wonder if sellers are still being hit with the selling fees even though the buyer's have paid them already?

@toomuchstuffagain35  according to Reddit that would be a big yes! Some say they have been told by customer support that they will be refunded but...Mercari has declined to comment on reports of double charging as of this morning. 🤷‍

I wouldn't ascribe malice to what is probably just incompetence - that site is kind of a mess to begin with and I can see them skrewing up this roll-out.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 107 of 183
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I wonder if sellers are still being hit with the selling fees even though the buyer's have paid them already?

@toomuchstuffagain35  according to Reddit that would be a big yes! Some say they have been told by customer support that they will be refunded but...Mercari has declined to comment on reports of double charging as of this morning. 🤷‍

I wouldn't ascribe malice to what is probably just incompetence - that site is kind of a mess to begin with and I can see them skrewing up this roll-out.

@chapeau-noir yeah, I took the no comment more as them probably scrambling to figure out how to minimize damage from a rollout that is not going as planned than any sign of malice. 😂

I definitely believe it's most likely just wires getting crossed somewhere when the switch got flipped but just like if it were eBay in this situation instead, my advice would be transparency and proactive sitewide/public communication (including specific details of how refunds will be processed and when) rather than individual customer service reps telling individual sellers information that those sellers are understandably a bit skeptical of, especially if other people on social media say they were told something else.

It's definitely a giant mess and not helping ease anyone's minds about the change for sure.

Message 108 of 183
latest reply

@valueaddedresource Just curious. I know the Mercari announcement explicitly says seller fees will NOT apply to new listings , but will continue to apply to old listings.

Does the announcement EXPLICITLY state that the new buyer fees ONLY apply to new listings, and will NOT be applied to existing listings?

Message 109 of 183
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@valueaddedresource Just curious. I know the Mercari announcement explicitly says seller fees will NOT apply to new listings , but will continue to apply to old listings.

Does the announcement EXPLICITLY state that the new buyer fees ONLY apply to new listings, and will NOT be applied to existing listings?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques the announcement and policy pages said "Listings created before 8:30 AM ET on March 27, 2024 will be subject to a selling fee of 10% of the item price when a sale is completed unless the listing has been updated on or after March 27, 2024." (emphasis mine)

There was similar "updated on/after" language for the payment processing fee as well.

From what I can gather scanning Reddit, at least some sellers say they dropped their prices yesterday after 8:30AM ET, believing that would count as an "update" and thus the new fee structure would kick in, only to find that when orders came through either the fees were the same as before (only charged to them) or the fees were charged to both the seller *and* the buyer.

In either case, the seller is in a tight spot because they lowered their price assuming there would be no fees and were still charged, eating into their profit.

The apparent inconsistencies in whether it was only charged to the seller or to both and some of the other information shared definitely lean more toward this being a mix up rather than how they intended the switch over to happen, in my opinion, but I'll put a big huge caveat on that and say at this point pretty much all we have to go on is people posting on Reddit so who knows?

I'll also add that that the different help, policy and landing pages about this changed at various times since the announcement.

While the policy pages just have that wording about "updated on/after" (which I can understand most sellers would believe means if they update their listing in some way, ie. edit the price), the "Sell Now" landing page has this: "Starting March 27, 2024 we will be gradually updating existing listings into the new fee structure over the next several weeks."

2024-03-28_18-18-29.jpg

So when the other pages say "updated on/after" do they actually mean updated by Mercari to enable the new fee structure and not anything to do with any updates a seller could actually make? I don't know....and more importantly apparently neither do sellers and if Mercari does know, they aren't going out of their way to clarify.

Like I said...it's a giant mess and honestly at this point I wouldn't even to try to say definitively how it was *supposed* to really work just because there have been so many different actual experiences reported and who knows what's really what.

Message 110 of 183
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@chapeau-noir yeah, I took the no comment more as them probably scrambling to figure out how to minimize damage from a rollout that is not going as planned than any sign of malice. 😂

I definitely believe it's most likely just wires getting crossed somewhere when the switch got flipped but just like if it were eBay in this situation instead, my advice would be transparency and proactive sitewide/public communication (including specific details of how refunds will be processed and when) rather than individual customer service reps telling individual sellers information that those sellers are understandably a bit skeptical of, especially if other people on social media say they were told something else.

It's definitely a giant mess and not helping ease anyone's minds about the change for sure.

@valueaddedresource   Just from timing emails with to go-live on this, they seemed so eager to start this that they didn't bother with much preparation. What's the matter with their project manager? That's their job!

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 111 of 183
latest reply

Sadly, I think they have not shook off that reputation for many. Still.

Message 112 of 183
latest reply

No more of that nonsense I guess. They better also stop being so lazy on there that they do not add much to their item specifics OR their pictures in some cases.

Message 113 of 183
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  I've never sold nor bought on Mercari, but I must admit, the way this has rolled out does not inspire confidence in Mercari's management. 

Message 114 of 183
latest reply

What used to be the largest auction site in Norway started with this practice a few years before it went belly up.

Message 115 of 183
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@valueaddedresource  I've never sold nor bought on Mercari, but I must admit, the way this has rolled out does not inspire confidence in Mercari's management. 

Management acts like they're perma-drunk.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 116 of 183
latest reply

Of course non shipped have no fee.

@robbie31415 

@mr_lincoln 

FWIW

On F.Book marketplace I offer shipping on all my items.  The cost is posted on the first line of my submissions.  However, I did not sign up for their "will ship" program that gives one a Buy Button, and has F.Book handle your money and shipping for a fee.  So there is no increase for me other than PayPal for sales there, and I can send an invoice from my website account for half of that cost as well. 

Right now on Mercari, all I have is "old" listings, so I would be curious to know when/if they would be incorporated into their new scheme.  If it does not require @valueaddedresource to actually  buy anything     to capture those new screenshots, I would be ok with providing her my user ID for a look see.  

I do know that some even older ones that have had subsequent  price increases for shipping, do not appear to  change, and the buyer pays the old price and I still get a current shipping label. 

Message 117 of 183
latest reply

That site is a flipping mess. NEVER would I sell on there.

Message 118 of 183
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Of course non shipped have no fee.

@robbie31415 

@mr_lincoln 

FWIW

On F.Book marketplace I offer shipping on all my items.  The cost is posted on the first line of my submissions.  However, I did not sign up for their "will ship" program that gives one a Buy Button, and has F.Book handle your money and shipping for a fee.  So there is no increase for me other than PayPal for sales there, and I can send an invoice from my website account for half of that cost as well. 

Right now on Mercari, all I have is "old" listings, so I would be curious to know when/if they would be incorporated into their new scheme.  If it does not require @valueaddedresource to actually  buy anything     to capture those new screenshots, I would be ok with providing her my user ID for a look see.  

I do know that some even older ones that have had subsequent  price increases for shipping, do not appear to  change, and the buyer pays the old price and I still get a current shipping label. 

@ittybitnot the screenshot showing the fees for the buyer is from the check out screen after adding to cart but before entering payment info and completing the order so no it doesn't cost anything and anyone with a Mercari account should be able to test it out. Feel free to send me your ID privately if you want me to take a look.

As far as when your old listings will be moved over to the new fee structure, they've said all listings will be updated "in the next few weeks" but given how this has gone so far I'm assuming you won't get much if any advanced warning or notification when it happens.

Message 119 of 183
latest reply

@masterblasterplanet wrote:

If you take part in the eBay Top Rated Plus seller program (10% discount on FVF fees) and your seller metrics fall below a certain number or percentage, then eBay doesn't have to give you that discount which is great for them.

Ebay gets value from the Top Rated Plus program. It gets sellers who take returns and ship promptly. A group of sellers who are not part of the chronic buyer unfriendly problem which has limit Ebay's grown since Pierre's last days as CEO.

That discount is fully paid for by sellers who are making this site more attractive to buyers.

Personally, I need a greater incentive to agree to the ship time requirement, and I prefer to keep those who do not understand the items I sell away, which no returns does.

When I sold on Amazon, almost all of my returns were on orders placed by early Christmas shoppers in October. They would buy as gifts for collectors without knowing what they had, and what they wanted. They would also find something cheaper that they thought the collector might like. I'd rather sell to the collector and cut out the middle man or woman.

Message 120 of 183
latest reply