cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I obligated to do combined shipping?

I have a buyer that won two separate listings and requested combined shipping. What are the rules regarding this? I personally don't want to do it, can I refuse?

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

You aren’t required to combine shipping. You can ship the items separately, depending on what you sell, sometimes combined shipping isn’t appropriate/safe.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 55
latest reply

You aren't required to ship both items in the same box, and even if you do, you aren't required to offer the buyer a lower rate.

However, if your shipping costs are the same for two items as it is for one, it's hard to justify charging for two.  If he is careful, the buyer is entitled to leave whatever feedback he feels is appropriate.

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

Thanks for the replies. The items in question are a couple swim trunks my little guy doesn't wear anymore. They ended up selling for around $2.50 each. Shipping on each item is $3.50.  Because I consider these low dollar items I may give a dollar back, but that's it. Because eBay fees are also applied to shipping right?

Message 4 of 55
latest reply

@bigbluesky555 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. The items in question are a couple swim trunks my little guy doesn't wear anymore. They ended up selling for around $2.50 each. Shipping on each item is $3.50.  Because I consider these low dollar items I may give a dollar back, but that's it. Because eBay fees are also applied to shipping right?

Yes, the FVF is 10% of the total amount of the sale. You need to ship each one separately if you aren't willing to combine shipping. The total FVF if the total of both sales is $12, is a $1.20.

I would suggest you price your items higher and not use shipping to make up for low auction prices. $7 shipping for 2 pairs of toddler swim, trunks isn't reasonable when both can be shipped together for $3. R

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

Just a thought: This was mentioned before, but I want to emphasize,  some buyers WILL mention it in Feedback, especially if it is light-weight combined items (and also dock you in *stars given* for shipping costs).

I find offering combined shipping is a great way to get return customers. But of course it is your choice. If you are dead-set against combining, then you might want to 'make it official' and turn that option on, so at least sellers will know up front (I've never done this as a seller, but I've purchased from a few that had that notice, not in listing, but on the cart page). Also, Ebay does include the shipping cost in calculating percentage of fees. Personally, I don't feel that is the buyers job to cover. So you might want to start the auction a little higher next time (meant to be helpful). Depending on the weight of 2 pair of shorts going first class (whether they are cotton or denim, ect) you might have it right with the dollar refund anyway. 

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

@gew6463 

Depending on the weight of 2 pair of shorts going first class (whether they are cotton or denim, ect) you might have it right with the dollar refund anyway. 

They are swim trunks that can ship together for no more than $3, since they are toddler trunks they can probably ship together for $2.66

So no she’s not anywhere near right with a $1 refund 

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

I didn't think so, but I was giving the benefit of the doubt since I didn't know the material type. I ship mostly first class, but rarely ship clothing. 

Message 8 of 55
latest reply

As everyone else has said, you don't have to combine shipping if you don't state that you will do so in your listings.

However, there are advantages to doing so, in that if you're trying to get buyers to buy more of your stuff, it encourages them to add more items to each transaction. If you're trying to move a bunch of related items, it can be a helpful strategy. Plus, buyers feel like they're getting a good deal, and happy buyers are easier to deal with than unhappy ones.wink

I believe that eBay charges the final value fee on shipping and handling according to what your buyer actually pays, not a theoretical total based on lumping together everything bought in the transaction. So if you give a combined shipping discount and, say, charge your buyer $4.50 instead of $3.50x2, you would pay based on $4.50, not $7.

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

I'm curious; how can you ship so cheaply? I'm not trying to be nosy, but the only way I can ship for $2.66 is if it is 4oz or under (First class mail), and that's including that I get 24% off shipping costs (powerseller). 

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

You should state in future listings that you do not offer combined shipping. Most sellers do offer it and buyers tend to expect it. If I had made this purchase from you I would still pay $7.00 for shipping because I did not ask before purchasing. That being said I would never buy from you again and I would leave feedback stating why. 

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

I personally don't want to do it, can I refuse?

You can refuse.

Buyer can post an opinion regarding your refusal.

Message 12 of 55
latest reply

Buyer can post an opinion regarding your refusal.

Worse, buyer in a foul mood can usually detect defects which a happy buyer would overlook.

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

@bigbluesky555 wrote:

I have a buyer that won two separate listings and requested combined shipping. What are the rules regarding this? I personally don't want to do it, can I refuse?

Can I ask why? It's not like they're 2 items that would not be feasible to ship together (like a golf club and a pyrex bowl)

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

I combine if someone orders 3+ items. I don't combine if someone orders two. Two CD/DVD puts me over 3.5 ounces which takes me into First Class Package rate of $2.66. If I don't combine the two, then it only costs me $2.20 ($1.10 each) for First Class Letter rate. The difference is huge when you deal with these inexpensive items.

On my other two accounts, I offer flat rate shipping, no matter how many are purchased. I can ship 1 to 4 for the same cost, so if someone buys 5, I'm willing to eat the additional cost.
Message 15 of 55
latest reply