cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account restricted because "we've found a possible discrepancy in your details"

Hi, I received this message in my eBay inbox-

"We understand this may be inconvenient, but we’ve identified a possible discrepancy with the information provided at registration and need your assistance. Until we're able to resolve this matter, your account will remain restricted and you will be unable to buy/sell items, or engage in member-to-member communication.

To help remove the restriction, please provide a color image of your passport. If you do not have a passport readily available, please provide an alternate government-issued ID (front and back). 

Go to the following secured link to upload your documents:
https://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/mudcwf?deptName=GSS

Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Please make sure that your submitted documents are current, valid, readable, and unaltered.
- Your name should be visible and match your current eBay account registration information (name and address).
- It may take up to 3 business days to review your information.
- Any subscriptions you have are cancelled, and you will have to reapply for them after the restriction has been removed.
- Do not make any changes to your account until this matter is resolved.

For further information, please see the Payment Terms of Use on our website.

Thank you for your cooperation in resolving this matter as quickly as possible.

Regards,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email."

Anyone else in Australia had this issue? I've provided my drivers licence details upon registration and was verified and bank account was correct and now all of a sudden they want my passport. I've made sure it's legit because they have $142 of money they've froze while I wait till they sort this out and cancelled all my listings. They said 3 business days but it's now been 4 business days, I've read some stories from other people overseas waiting 3-4 months to have this sorted out. Any help with timeframes of anyone in Australia that have experienced this would be grateful.

Thanks guys

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Account restricted because "we've found a possible discrepancy in your details"

@paba-4650 wrote:

Any help with timeframes of anyone in Australia that have experienced this would be grateful.

@downunder-61 

downunder-61 might be able to help you.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Re: Account restricted because "we've found a possible discrepancy in your details"

@paba-4650  Hi there, you can use 3 types of photo id for the managed payment requirements here in Australia.

Driver's License

Australian Passport

18+ Card if you do not have either of the above.

You can also check with other Aussies on our home boards - https://community.ebay.com.au/

Always check up top at the left under your name once you sign in, and you will see G'day Mate - then you know you are on the Au bords, these are the US boards 😊

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Americans are pants at figuring out our own country's foibles.  Probably better to ask on the Aussie eBay boards. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

@paba-4650  Hi there, you can use 3 types of photo id for the managed payment requirements here in Australia.

Driver's License

Australian Passport

18+ Card if you do not have either of the above.

You can also check with other Aussies on our home boards - https://community.ebay.com.au/

Always check up top at the left under your name once you sign in, and you will see G'day Mate - then you know you are on the Au bords, these are the US boards 😊

@downunder-61 

Did you check that link that was given to them.  Does it appear to be legit to you?  I clicked on it and couldn't tell anything as it wanted me to login which is NEVER a good idea from a link in an email.  Any kind of email.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Yeah I've already lodged what they need and the chat just keeps giving me the run around saying it's "high priority" and it's now the 5th business day. It isn't a scam because my account is restricted and I can't do anything until they lift the restriction. I just don't understand why they say 3 business days when it's clearly going to take longer than that

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

UPDATE:

Well it's now 22 days since the restriction was applied and 3 escalations and calls to supervisors etc and nothing, no outcome just silence and I've sent the correct ID and what they want 3 times and they say I don't need to send anymore documents. I give up and I think I'll go to the ACCC or look for a lawyer to sue them. The cheek of them too while the suspension is current, they send me an e-mail congratulating me on becoming a "Top-Rated Seller". What a sad joke this company has become.....wish there was another site as big as them and with their features that you could use in Australia. eBid isn't that good, Amazon is pathetic, Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace are full of scammers....it's just unfair!! @downunder-61 

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Oh no, that is terrible to hear. I am sorry for you, but also worried about my own situation now. I received the same message as you and had my account restricted on Monday, August 29th. Unfortunately they owe me $627.00 from a sale. It's extremely frustrating that they gave no explanation as to why this happened. I have been a buyer/seller with the same account for probably 20 years. Well, I hope your issue gets resolved soon - let us know if it does.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@screendance wrote:

Oh no, that is terrible to hear. I am sorry for you, but also worried about my own situation now. I received the same message as you and had my account restricted on Monday, August 29th. Unfortunately they owe me $627.00 from a sale. It's extremely frustrating that they gave no explanation as to why this happened. I have been a buyer/seller with the same account for probably 20 years. Well, I hope your issue gets resolved soon - let us know if it does.

@screendance 

You are a new seller with only two transactions under your belt.  

What message did you receive?  What exactly did it say?

Ebay has had a rule for many years that pertains to New Seller and sellers that have been away from selling for 90+ days. The following is the policy that outlines why your money is likely on hold.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

This will be in play, but if there is something else like you need more information so they can verify your Managed Payment account, then you need to get that taken care of.  Below is the direct CS link for the Payment Team.

For the Payment Team
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

This happened to someone I know and the discrepancy was actually something minor. It was something like accidentally typing in wrong date or year of birth.  For example, typing in October 10th as date of birth when actually date of birth might be October 20th (accidentally hitting 1 instead of  2). That was the reason eBay requested "official" documents from the person I know.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

I have been a member since January 26th, 1999, and have bought and sold many items over the years. It's true that I have only sold 2 items in the last 90 days. However, this is not a payment hold or dispute. The message I received was identical to what the original poster received:

"We understand this may be inconvenient, but we’ve identified a possible discrepancy with the information provided at registration and need your assistance. Until we're able to resolve this matter, your account will remain restricted and you will be unable to buy/sell items, or engage in member-to-member communication.

To help remove the restriction, please provide a color image of your passport. If you do not have a passport readily available, please provide an alternate government-issued ID (front and back)..."

I sent a photo of my passport within an hour of receiving their message. Their original message said it would take 1-3 days to process. It has been 3 days, and my account is still restricted. 

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@screendance 

I doesn't matter how long you have been a member or if you have 100% positive FB when it comes to getting qualified for Managed Payments and for the money hold policy for new sellers and infrequent sellers with more than 90 days away from selling.  Holding your funds has nothing to do with a dispute.  You may want to revisit the links I gave you as nothing was said about any disputes.

OK so your current issue is properly signing up for Managed Payments.  Since you have not heard from them and tomorrow is Friday, I would strongly encourage you to contact Ebay on Twitter or Facebook.  The better trained CSRs seem to be there.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.

https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/

If when you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant, type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

For the Payment Team

I hope they can get everything cleared up for you tomorrow.  Good Luck.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Maybe you made a mistake and posted the wrong links? Both of the links you gave me use the word “dispute” right in the first paragraph. Nor do either say anything about 90 days. Once again, my issue is not a dispute or hold. My customer already received the item, on Wednesday. Regardless, thank you for the tip to try Facebook or twitter. Maybe I’ll have better luck there; I have spoken with an eBay customer support person on the phone twice, and both times they were unable to give me more information or explain why my account was restricted. 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@screendance wrote:

Maybe you made a mistake and posted the wrong links? Both of the links you gave me use the word “dispute” right in the first paragraph. Nor do either say anything about 90 days. Once again, my issue is not a dispute or hold. My customer already received the item, on Wednesday. Regardless, thank you for the tip to try Facebook or twitter. Maybe I’ll have better luck there; I have spoken with an eBay customer support person on the phone twice, and both times they were unable to give me more information or explain why my account was restricted. 

The links I gave you were labeled.  I had stated "Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service."  And the links provided are for that.

Now if you are talking about links I gave you earlier in the thread, you simply need to take a moment and read past the first few lines as important info in held there.  You are an infrequent seller and do qualify to have your money held because of that.  If you have other problems going on, you haven't explained those yet.

Yes I have no idea why the CSRs you get when you have Ebay call you back never tell sellers about the policy for held funds on new sellers and infrequent sellers.  But they are really consistent about it.  That doesn't mean that what I shared with you is not correct.  

Try taking your problem to the Twitter or Facebook link I gave earlier.  The CSRs there are far better trained.

Ebay has had a rule for many years that pertains to New Seller and sellers that have been away from selling for 90+ days. The following is the policy that outlines why you money is likely on hold.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

I don't think we are on the same wavelength here, but thank you for trying to help. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply