cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2022 - 20k Sales reported how much do I have to pay to IRS

I sold about 20k on ebay during 2022 and after paying ebay fees, USPS shipping fees, item cost, gas, etc... I ended up making 2k profit . IRS sent me an offer letter with a Proposed amount due for 5.5k

How come they want me to pay 5.5k on something I earned 2k.... please help...

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: 2022 - 20k Sales reported how much do I have to pay to IRS

@wayuuki wrote:

I filled out 2022 taxes so early without knowing ebay will generate a 1099 on 2022. My accountant said to me to wait until this year for IRS amendment and recently received this letter ( off course they are charging $ 304 Interest ) , but how come they came up with 5.5k proposed amount on a 2.2k net earnings ?

Im not an expert with this tax issues...

That advice was so terrible, IMHO when you file your amended return you should use a different accountant.  You should have filed a revised return immediately when you got the 1099-K for 2022. Now you are paying interest and probably penalties.  

As others have noted, the IRS is asking for $5.5K because of not only interest and probably penalties, but also because they have no way of knowing about your deductible expenses which were not reported (eBay fees, shipping costs, cost of goods, etc.) so they are basing the income tax and also the self-employment tax on the full $20K. Take a look at IRS Schedule C, the Schedule C instructions, and Schedule SE to get an idea of how they look at this.

File the amended 2022 return ASAP to avoid further interest and penalties. And maybe you need to revise 2023 also? 

One last small detail: In your original post, you mentioned gas as a deductible expense, but the deductible expense that you actually will figure is mileage.

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

@wayuuki wrote:

I sold about 20k on ebay during 2022 and after paying ebay fees, USPS shipping fees, item cost, gas, etc... I ended up making 2k profit . IRS sent me an offer letter with a Proposed amount due for 5.5k

How come they want me to pay 5.5k on something I earned 2k.... please help...

Get together ALL the receipts you have for your business activity - Everything - Then contact a tax man or attorney to help you - The receipts that are deemed justifiable will help you and your hire reduce the tax owed and negotiate a settlement...

I know a guy who for years was selling on ebay and I kept telling him you better file taxes on that income - He didnt heed the advice and they came at him 3 years in a row looking for back taxes after the fact - Likely as a way to maximize the amount retained as opposed to coming at him with 3 years of taxes in a lump sum - The one thing he had going for him was he kept receipts, which helped, but he still had huge debts to pay - likely more than if he had just filed as a taxpayer - After all is said and done, it took a large portion of the money he had actually made selling online to settle, effectively making it a near a 100% waste of time..

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

Because you did not file correctly with the IRS, they are assuming that all of your eBay revenue should be taxed. If you had filed appropriately, you would have been able to offset most of this revenue with expenses. That high settlement offer is not a penalty or a tax on your profits, it is a penalty or a tax on your revenue, because the IRS would not know what your profits are, because you didn’t file correctly.if this were me in a similar situation, I would consult a tax attorney as soon as possible, and ask about re-filing your 2022 tax return. Your tax due should be very low – in the hundreds, not the thousands. 

Message 33 of 44
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@chariot_badges ,

Voters voted the way they did because many are sick of people not paying their fair share of taxes.

@wayuuki  -- hear that?

Pay up you deadbeat!

Rich people like you don't pay enough taxes.

Quit complaining.

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

Here is yet another example of not reporting all income, and the failure to do so coming home to roost. This is what happens and was totally predictable for many years.

Those of us sellers who have been faithfully reporting for years our online sales income even without a 1099, less generous expense deductions, have been warning other sellers here that skirting responsibilities and not being into compliance with the IRS is running a terrible risk. For years on this forum, we have warned such risk-takers of what would likely happen when thankfully the playing field was finally leveled.

Sorry to be so blunt, but with plenty of warnings and clear income-reporting IRS language there is NO EXCUSE. Either get into compliance and file amended returns, or pay the mounting penalties when caught... your choice.

Cheers, Duffy 

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

Not receiving a 1099 or any tax form for that matter does not excuse you from any taxes you may owe.  I suggest you contact a good tax pro.

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

That works out to 27.5%. Now you need to do an amended return showing all of your deductions to prove you only made 2200 in profit.

Message 37 of 44
latest reply

eBay sends you and the IRS a 1099, when you file your taxes, the IRS compares what they received as income to what you reported, if they don't match, it may trigger an audit.

Did you report this amount on schedule C or some other way? Did you report and deduct your expenses when you filed 2022 income taxes?

If you filed as above, I would appeal, if you didn't file, filed without reporting expenses, or you didn't report the amount, you can do it now and probably just pay interest and penalty on the 2k you made.

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

$5.5K on your eBay profits?
Or $5.5K on your entire income including eBay profits?

https://www.irs.gov/filing/federal-income-tax-rates-and-brackets

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

@wayuuki wrote:

I filled out 2022 taxes so early without knowing ebay will generate a 1099 on 2022. My accountant said to me to wait until this year for IRS amendment and recently received this letter ( off course they are charging $ 304 Interest ) , but how come they came up with 5.5k proposed amount on a 2.2k net earnings ?

Im not an expert with this tax issues...

@wayuuki 

The first thing I'd do is fire your accountant and find one that knows about filing taxes on internet sales.  While you may not be an expert, your accountant is suppose to be and that was simply horrible advice.

The accountant also should have known that claiming income is NOT dependent upon you receiving any kind of form from any site you may sell on.  All income is to be reported to the IRS.

And don't forget about filing an amended return for the other years in which you were selling on Ebay but didn't claim the sales.  Now that you are on the IRS radar, you need to come clean about everything in the hopes that you don't get thrown into the audit cycle.

Why did you need to file your taxes before the end of January?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 40 of 44
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

eBay sends you and the IRS a 1099, when you file your taxes, the IRS compares what they received as income to what you reported, if they don't match, it may trigger an audit.

Did you report this amount on schedule C or some other way? Did you report and deduct your expenses when you filed 2022 income taxes?

If you filed as above, I would appeal, if you didn't file, filed without reporting expenses, or you didn't report the amount, you can do it now and probably just pay interest and penalty on the 2k you made.

The OP has already said they did not claim their Ebay sales.  Sounds like they never have claimed their internet sales.  They got very bad advice from their accountant.

Message 41 of 44
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@chariot_badges ,

Voters voted the way they did because many are sick of people not paying their fair share of taxes. 

Voters didn't vote for these rules.  The 1099K has always been between IRS and the Congress.

That's true ... but, who voted for Congress?

Can't avoid it.   Deflection won't work.

We voted for this.  

All the tax codes .. we voted for.

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

@chariot_badges wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@chariot_badges ,

Voters didn't vote for these rules.  The 1099K has always been between IRS and the Congress.

That's true ... but, who voted for Congress?

Can't avoid it.   Deflection won't work.

We voted for this.  

All the tax codes .. we voted for.

I was deflecting nothing.  I have no reason to do that.  There is no need for an attitude, we can have a civil discussion.  Your outlook may not be the same as mine, but that is fine too.  I take no issue with it.

You are correct, we all vote for our representatives in Congress, however it is NOT true that they Vote the way those of us that voted for them would have voted for something.  It happens all the time when they vote for things that their constituents are upset by and would not have voted for.

With that said, I take no issue with the 1099K.  I have always claimed all my income in all 25 years that I've sold on the internet, whether this site or others.  So to me it simply has no impact on me personally.  Nor does it others that have done the same.

I do understand and respect that for some it is a new thing to report all their income to the IRS.  And that isn't always because they are trying to skirt the issue of paying taxes.  Sometimes it was honest mistakes and simply not knowing they needed to.  It is not always because they are trying to hide anything.

For those sellers that are only selling a few hundred dollars worth of stuff or even a a bit more.  It is highly likely that once they claim that income on their tax return and subtract all their cost, that the net taxable income isn't enough to cause a big impact in taxes they owe.  

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

@wayuuki wrote:

Correct , that is what I'm doing right now. What I don't understand is how come IRS proposed me to pay 5.5k for 20k sales on 2022 and for which i made net earnings of 2.2k

How is anyone here suppose to know???? ... it is YOUR income.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 44 of 44
latest reply