cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer says item is not working after 3.5 months, asks me advice on warranty

a buyer contacted me todays about an item he purchased 3.5 months ago and is not working anymore. I accept 30 days returns on all my items. He said he contacted the manufacturer and was told to contact the seller so he is asking me for advice. What should I tell him? I am a pretty new Ebay seller and this type of case is my first. The item was $500, selling on Amazon for $ 1100.  Thank you. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@gclaudika8 

Unless you are an authorized dealer for the item that you sold, you can not provide a warranty, and the manufacturer will not honor any warranties on non-authorized sales.

Since it has been well over 30 days since your buyer had received the item, the buyer cannot demand a return under the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

However, your buyer may be able to dispute the purchase by a  credit card charge-back, which you will most likely lose.

You can voluntarily accept a return; but then you may be stuck with an item which doesn't work.

Not a lot of great options for a seller.

Sorry.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You don't have to do anything for this buyer unless they go to their bank or PayPal and your hand is forced. If they do either of those things PayPal will usually require the buyer to return the item and they have to pay for that... PayPal gives them up to a full 180 days. If they go to their credit card I don't think they even have to return the item and if you appeal the refund they charge you for that...

I would not give the buyer any advice about doing a chargeback or turning to PayPal. What I would do is say I have nothing to do with product warranties and leave it at that. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

PayPal gives them up to a full 180 days.

@kitschy*loot 

I think that PayPal recently restricted their NAD claims to 30 days. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: