cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Aquamarine - Presidium Gem Tester II

Hello Sellers and Happy Day to All!  I am trying to confirm that a pair of earrings are aquamarine.  I have a Presidium Gem Tester II and I cannot find any information on where this gem would register on the tester.  Is there someone here selling jewelry, aquamarines, that can help me with this?  I have tried and tried to figure it out and I just can't find any information on the web that I can make sense of.  If someone could send me a picture of what you know is aquamarine and how is registers on the Presidium tester, I would really appreciate the help.  Thanks so much everyone!!!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Help with Aquamarine - Presidium Gem Tester II

Thank you for telling me this about cleaning with nail polish remover.  I did not know!!!

Does alcohol work, like alcohol wipes you would use for glasses to clean stones adquately for testing?

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Hi. Alcohol often works, if it is strong enough (at least 75%, I'd say). But, it depends on what type of oil is on the gem. BTW, if you ever test opal, make sure to rinse it with a little plain room temp water afterwards b/c they are sensitive to chemicals.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Impossible to tell from a photo, but from the overall look, my gut tells me that they're not aquamarine.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Right my rough aqua tests as Emerald

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

The presidium is not a 100 percent accurate test for a variety of gems. We are jewelers but not Trained Gemologists. Only trained gemologists with the right equipment can test certain gems accurately. The Presidium is good for identifying diamonds as long as that Presidium also tests for moisannite because that comes up as a diamond on some of their products that do not also test  for moisannite. It can identify emerald, any of the conundrums like ruby sapphire fairly accurately. On top of this the machine has to be regularly calibrated.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Sorry, corundum is the term for the rubies and sapphires. 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Yes, the only way to know it. Not just the Presidium.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Aquamarine & Emerald are Same Family gemstone verity ( Beryl Family) , If your tester indicates Emerald that can be Aquamarine

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hi there, 

I'm new to gem buying and have found my Presidium tester great, plus my husband is a Geo.  Once you know the background of the gem which you can get from Google or books it simply has a category as mentioned. Aquamarine sits with Beryl, Emerald etc. If its not on the Presidium then you need to find its family. It works well, note the test the first indication on the PGT 11 is the most accurate. So if you test a gem say a Ruby it should hit the Ruby, sapphire line fist then it can slowly move down (backwards), the manufacturer states that the first part of the reading is most accurate.  Another point to note, heat ( your hands) will change the reading so try not to touch the gem before testing it. I use a metal pin to hold the smaller gem still then test. 

Lastly,  the photo of the Aquamarine earrings.  I have been a huge fan of Swarovski Crystal's ( they are actually glass), these look exactly like the Swarovski earings shoes they sell.  They use the name Aquamarine to indicate the colour, not the stone. Colours Emerald are not Emeralds just simply Emerald in colour. This pattern is from their vintage range. Google it and you will see.  If you purchased online be sure to read the small print. 

Good luck!

Message 24 of 24
latest reply