cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

necklace not received by buyer

I sold a rhinestone necklace on March 9th and sent out same day and buyer never received it.  Checked tracking and the post office never delivered.  So buyer opened a case and Ebay reviewed it and ruled for the buyer and charged the purchase price from my account.  I have appealed the decision.  My question to all of you why I am being charged for something the post office lost.  Totally understand why the buyer should be refunded but really think I should not be charged for a lost item.  Anyone else have this issue with Ebay.  First time for me.  Didn't have the package insured.  Guess I'm out of luck.  

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Hi, presumably you had the proof of purchase tracking. If so you make a claim at the Royal mail web site. It is is a faff and they make you wait I can't remember how many days until you can start the claim, but then they are quite quick to sort it out. You should get your item value and the postage back. In my experience the postage is cancelled on the item and if it gets delivered in the future the customer will have to pay.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

What I would do in this situation is open a missing package case with USPS. What does the last scan on the tracking say? Sometimes just opening a case can get a package moving again. After the case is open for a couple days, if nothing has happened with it, I would call the post office that did the last scan, or wherever the package got stuck. Not the 800 number, look up the physical post office number and talk to someone there. You may have to leave a message for someone to call you back, but every time I have done this, they have been really helpful. They can tell me the last place that physically scanned the item. Sometimes there are scans in tracking that are not physical scans of the package, but of whatever shipment it was supposed to be in. Like they scan a whole bin and since the package was scanned as being in that bin, it counts as  a scan on the package itself. 

Otherwise, depending on the value of the package, just write it off as a loss. I hope it wasn't worth too much, because if it doesn't get scanned delivered, you are just out of luck. I think you might just be out of luck at this point anyways since eBay has already closed the case in favor of the buyer. If they happen to find the package, you may request that it be returned to you instead of the buyer, so that way at least you will get that back. Sorry this has happened to you, it really stinks, but USPS has a pretty good track record for me at least. They have actually lost 1 package my whole time selling, a couple times it has gotten stuck or lost for a while, but then eventually shows up somewhere. Best of luck to you!

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

The seller is in the USA.  You are in the UK.  Why would a US seller contact the Royal Mail. Anyway, a seller is always responsible to get the item delivered.  If it's NOT delivered, the seller is screwed if the buyer makes a claim.  This has always been the policy with the MBG.  Now if the item was marked delivered, the seller would not lose the money.   If there is no insurance, nothing can be done.  It's possible that the buyer got it and the mail carrier never scanned it but again , nothing can be done.

To the poster, this one is a total loss.  Print out the page where it says that the buyer refunded and this is one receipt for the DEDUCTION column when you figure out your taxes for 2022.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

You can file on the USPS website, if this is who you used to ship. Open a claim for item not delivered. Takes some time but you get your money back and shipping price. Hopefully you had enough insurance to cover the purchase price.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Just replying to myself: "never bother to try to help, because there is always someone out there who will will be stroppy & rude". Is that how you get classed as Rockstar?

Good luck dins9187 

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

This has happened a few times to me. Yes, they will refund your money if it did not get the delivery scan. It is not a total loss, it is insured and that insurance covers not being delivered. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

The posters reply was not rude. It was correcting non-applicable mis-information 🙂

OP stated "no insurance".  USPS does not refund in such cases.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

If it was priority mail, they refund up to $50, or is it $100 now? if no extra insurance added. So they would get at least that much back. And yes, you were very rude and are giving mis-info.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

OP stated.........  "no insurance".

I have read that with lots of kicking, and screaming there is the ever so remote possibility of getting the "postage" refunded by some avenue of "service not provided" ............................  but as for the item itself, never heard of it happening.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Yes, you are indeed correct that Priority mail would have some insurance. My apologies for my error in that respect.

OP made no statement other than "no insurance".

And no, I am not "very rude". Just stating facts as they pertain to the information provided.

ETA I don't see the item sold, but the other items sold by the OP would not seem to justify "priority" postage ergo likely no insurance.

My reply cover the situation without going into the entire realm of world possibilities.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@dins9187  

If tracking does not show delivered the seller is liable for the refund to the buyer.

The seller has to work with USPS to get a refund. 

If there is no insurance on the package USPS will not refund shipping.

USPS is extremely difficult to get money from, insured, damaged, lost... very difficult.

Just an FYI - (I dont want to seem rude) - Since you let eBay decide and they refunded the buyer you also got a strike on your seller account for not resolving this issue and having eBay do it.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you.  The item may yet turn up somewhere. My PO has been very helpful when something happens. Apparently they get a more comprehensive readout than we are able to get.  If you call the supervisor or go down, they should be able to tell you more. But sometimes, the item is truly lost.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Another Rockstar... The OP did not state "I'm in The US and using USPS" and I am not a mind reader. I tried to help. You don't need insurance in the UK to claim. And there was no need for the tone, which was rude and stroppy in my opinion. 

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

OP did not indicate one way or another if this was an International sale. The post about Royal Mail did contribute valuable information as it did bring up a possible avenue to follow.

If it were International it is possible that there could have been a hold up at customs.

The OP also did not say how they were involved in the claim filed by the Buyer?

When I sold on ebay I have contacted the local US Post Offices to find lost parcels. It was sometimes confusing tracking down the correct delivery Office.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply