cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I ?

Hello friends,  

Spotted at the antique store while looking for uranium glass.    Is it a shoe or maybe hat clip?    It doesn’t quite look like a clip earring.   It doesn’t have the teeth for a fur clip.  It’s marked “ Trade. “ 

The owner of the store said she thought it was a pendant and they clipped it on a necklace.   I don’t know about that,  plus she was shocked that it glowed.  She said she didn’t know jewelry glowed.   I told her they used uranium glass in jewelry too.  She has owned this antique store for 25 years.   She is lovely but I don’t think jewelry is her thing.   She also said I think it’s from the 20-30s.   I asked her what made her think that and she said because of who I got it from.   Hmmmm 

Anyhow....I’m most interested in what y’all think.  

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

What am I ?

5D7B455D-9AAF-44C6-B8EC-2B4BFEA9BA62.jpegTradeTrade

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

5964DDE0-428C-43CA-B84D-A883A9F8ADFF.jpeg94280C6C-DE98-4069-AC45-DF80DCF86DED.jpeg

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

Boom babyBoom baby

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

One more thing,  it’s pretty small,  about  1/2  inch.   I though it was a single cuff link before I saw the clip.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

I think that's exactly what it is.  Or a cuff button anyway. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

Could be a collar button or cuff link.  Looks like custard glass (which will glow) intaglio piece.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

Not sure if this will help? I used to use this Site to ID pieces in my collection.

Cufflink King 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

Thanks Crow !   I’m actually learning about cuff links.  😊 Very  interesting. 

I’ve been looking around and I have seen NO cuff links that look like this yet.  Maybe it used to have a chain attached to another piece or something?  Haven’t seen any button cuffs or collar cuffs like it either,  but it certainly is that 

If it is one of those,  it’s ashamed it got separated from its match.  Oh well I think it’s cool anyhow because of that gorgeous glow.  Maybe I can figure out an upcycle project for it.  ♻️♻️♻️

Has anyone ever seen the marking “ Trade “ before?  What’s that about?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

Do I see the word "MARK" under smaller part of the clasp?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

Hi - I believe that it’s a collar button with a butterfly clasp. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

Some appear to have specifically designed with longer “stems” so they’d work on the back side of the collar, where there were more layers of fabric to connect.
 4FD113C1-8109-45C4-A4AB-F821DA2E79E3.jpeg995E0C41-709A-4FF9-8289-FC74C4F98037.jpeg

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

Could it be a Buckle of some kind. Maybe shoe, boot or glove or bridle?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

@don-franciscos-sister that makes better sense than my late guess.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

What am I ?

Good eye Crow,  looks like “ Mark “ in the photos and makes sense....trade mark.  💚

I did think it was possible it could be a hat or shoe adornment.  

Off to check out collar buttons.  It does resemble those shown.  Definitely makes a snap noise when closed.  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply