cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Within US

is everyone getting a lot of overseas buyers with US addresses? And when did they start charging us a fee because the buyer has the item shipped within the US but they are registered in another country. I had no idea they were charging us for this until I accidentally stumbled upon it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down.
Wilson Mizner
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Shipping Within US

Yepper.  I found out just like you did..I think last year or year before.  I didn`t realize it either, but guess it has gone on for quite awhile.  😠

And my 1st 3 sales of this year fell into this

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

I get a lot of glass and pottery sales with this. But now I am thinking of only shipping via EBAY, usually the American address is a shipping co. I've had to refund money ( over 2 weeks after it got to the '"American " address because of breakage).  If I lose some sales because of this, it's worth it to me.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

@nostalgic_charm 

The International fee is not new, Pay Pal also charged the fee.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

paypal would charge the fee because the payment was coming from a foreign country. Ebay has zero reason to charge us for it because it doesn't cost them anything.

Wilson Mizner
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

How much is the fee?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice this before! I just looked through my transactions, and yep, sure enough... fees I didn't even know about. It's only 1.65%, so I'm not going to complain too much though. I don't ship internationally at all, so they have to use their shipping service, and to be honest a lot of people overseas pay a lot of money for good costume jewelry. I'll take the trade off. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

I think that the fact that it is a hidden fee and is not even stated in the fee structure list is what makes it irritating. I sold an item for $200 and the fee was $3.61 just for the overseas fee. So that can add up pretty quickly

Wilson Mizner
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

@nostalgic_charm wrote:

paypal would charge the fee because the payment was coming from a foreign country. Ebay has zero reason to charge us for it because it doesn't cost them anything.

Buyers that use freight forwarders are from foreign countries and that's why the extra fee.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

@nostalgic_charm wrote:

I think that the fact that it is a hidden fee and is not even stated in the fee structure list is what makes it irritating. I sold an item for $200 and the fee was $3.61 just for the overseas fee. So that can add up pretty quickly

It's not a hidden fee, it says right here on this page

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Have a great day
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

I only ship to the US.  I have had some sells like this too,  recently a pair of earrings.  I noticed when they made a best offer that they lived outside the US.  Hmmmmmm……I have never noticed the fee but I do see it there ^^^

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

The fee eats into your profits, but sometimes overseas buyers pay more too, so it evens out.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

Yes and it burns me, they're registered in another country and use a US address to get around the blocks we put on our shipping....So we get stuck with the fees, even though they are minimal. I just went threw a "thing" today, they restricted my account because they charged me for a label on an item I shipped 6 weeks ago! I never liked that they waited until the overseas items were delivered before they took the label cost. It's not like we can say hold back "X" number of dollars from our payout to cover the cost of the label. They took my pending funds, it wasn't enough to cover the label and they said my charge card failed. Personally I doubt it, the card is paid in full every month... anyhow I just stopped ALL international shipping tonight, see how that goes. OK Rant done, didn't mean to hijack the thread..

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

I truly don't understand why anyone would be upset by this.  The fee you are getting from eBay is for a foreign money exchange.  It wouldn't matter who you were doing business with, eBay, Etsy, PayPal any internet business charges that type of fee.  I too have my sites marked as no international shipping and because I'm not shipping internationally neither eBay nor the buyer is committing an offence.  The only reason that I stopped shipping international is that international postal service is generally iffy at its best.  Since I as a seller I am responsible for the items I ship UNTIL THEY REACH THE MAILING ADDRESS ON THE ACCOUNT, I chose not to ship internationally.

Now the way that the above system works is TOTALLY in my favor as a seller.

1.  The people that use this system generally buy higher-end items.

2.  They generally make payments with-in 24 hours, if not faster.

3.  I am only responsible to get the item to the in STATE address listed on the account.  It makes no difference if it is a mail box delivery service or a street address.  When it arrives it is then out of my hands.

4.  If you get a good reputation among these buyers, they pass your name on to others who then purchase more high-end items.

The only down-side of the sells is that they rarely leave feedback, but I can live with that.  I will say that since I know that the items I sell to these international buyers will be handled in ways I can't control, I do make sure I have overly securely packaged them.

Bring on the international buyers as long as I can ship to an address here in the states.  The nominal fee that is charges for the money exchange rate is more than covered by the purchase of higher-end items and repeat buyers, IMHO.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Shipping Within US

Definitely agree with you on this one Sandy! As long as I don't have to deal with shipping internationally myself (and I don't,) I am a happy seller!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply