cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions please....

I have this beautiful brooch I have had for a number of years.UB3169.JPG

I looped that thing knowing there JUST HAD TO BE a signature.  Couldn't find it.  I have looped it several times and finally the light was just right and I found the faintest copyright C mark and then thought I saw C in circle --m-z, but it was faint....very, very faint.  My first thought was Jomaz, so I went searching.  It took quite a while and quite a few searches.  But I found the matching earrings!  And they were signed.  I have desided to put the brooch up for sale.  So I have created this picture and want your opinion on it being the last picture in my listing.  

UB3169 -5.jpg

Of course I will explain everything in the listing, but would like to include the proof.  What do you think?  TIA

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Opinions please....

That's a stunning brooch. I immediately thought "Jomaz/Mazer" before reading through your message. If I recognized it, I'm sure expert Jomaz collectors will, with or without qualification. For less expert buyers,  I think your note adequately explains that the earrings are not included in the listing and the photo is only to confirm origin. I would be sure to include that statement in the description also which you probably plan to do - and also include the best photo you can get of the worn mark on brooch - even if it's only the faintest of faint impressions. Being the "knit picker" that I am, I might even specify the source of the photo by saying something like "I found a photo online of the signed earrings that match this Jomaz brooch, which I've included to confirm origin," in the area of green text and/or within the ad, so a potential buyer won't wonder why you are not selling the earrings also.  I love your photo collage!

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

Thank you.  For your input.  Yes, I will explain all of the things you mentioned.  And yes, it is a stunning brooch.  I wish the earrings had been for sale when I found them, but alas They had already sold.  I have looked for four or five years, off and on, but have never found another set.  So I think it is time for the brooch to find a new home.  Who knows, maybe the biuyer of the earrings has been looking for the brooch.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

I agree..include your proof. 

Thos in the know of vintage know that oft times not all pcs of a set were signed.  This will also help educate those new to the biz.

Awesome photo as always. Cat Very Happy

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

@flipping_treasures

It might work if you get a buyer that looks at all of the photos, and reads everything.

I had a listing up for a while, so I updated the first photo. It turned out that update was of a different item. My mistake. All of the other 11 photos were correct. The buyer filed a snad saying that she got a completely different item. She looked at one photo and ignored the other 11. My text also was clear about the item, so if she was truthful, she read nothing, and looked at one photo.

I always think that it is a risk putting any item in a photo that is not included. One reason for snad is does not match photo/photos.

Beautiful brooch BTW! Goodluck in whatever you decide to do.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

Hi Sandy, I think it should work fine, but I would make the last snetence of the paragraph bold and italic. That should catch a buyer's attention!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

Agreed.   One last in bold reminder at the end for sure.   Sometimes buyers see what they want to see, be sure to make it clear.

Would you use the combined photo as your main photo or as a later photo?  I might be tempted not to put it as the primary, even though you've done a beautiful job splitting the frame.   So many people are shopping by phone,  just don't want  any confusion on this gorgeous piece.

Best of luck, I'm sure it will do well.

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

It would definitely be the last photo.  I like the idea of making the last sentence stand out.  Thanks again for your opinions. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

You might want to consider making the very first sentence a statement that earrings are not included, in bold, large font, then a line space and your normal listing.  I know it kind of ruins the flow of the listing, but people are more likely to pay attention if it is the first thing they see rather than the last.

You could also leave out the earring photo, explain the signature confirmation from the earrings, and offer to send the earrings photos on request.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

I had planned on sending the picture.  When ever I have ided a piece by using another matching piece, I include the picture with the sold piece.  This really is the first I have used something like earrings, most of the time it is a patent picture.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

Sandy - how about including text actually IN THE PHOTO saying that earrings are shown to validate maker and are NOT included in this auction? i.e. either edit the photo (which I don't know how to do) or just type up a bold text note and retake the photo to include the note, right there with the photo of the earrings

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Opinions please....

Actually Diane, the second picture IS the picture that I am planning on posting as the last picture in my listing.  That way it shows the signed earrings along with the brooch.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply