cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to describe these plastic beads

These beads are clear plastic and they are a geometric facet. Any help with descrpition ?? Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

What does the clasp look like? Any mold lines?
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

There is no clasp and no mold marks. They are on cotton string and knotted in between each bead. They also seem to change colors from red to green to topaz?
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I have never seen any beads this shape before.

Because they seem to be special it might be worthwhile to figure out what exactly they are. Since there are no seams my two thoughts are Prystal Bakelite or Amber.

How did you determine that they were Plastic? By the warmth of the beads? Or the weight? The cut seems very intricate. Are they regular cuts or do they look hand done?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the response! I looked closer under a better lighted magnifying glass and voilà!!! I found the clasp and I believe they are indeed individually carved because there are differences in the holes and the beads. The 409 test says no bakelite
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I determined they were plastic because of their light weight.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Do you have a Black Light? If this is Amber it may fluoresce.

This Site gives information on Amber:

http://www.viavaleron.com/category_s/1828.htm

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thank you! I will check them under the black light.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I  hope that you can get a positive result from the Black Light.

When I look at these beads they remind me of the old wood faux covered wells that were lawn art. (Where the block rows were offset.)

Keywords I have used to google have been Antique (Cherry or Cognac) Amber along with Round Faceted Barrel Beads, Offset Faceted Beads. I haven't used Puzzle yet as a keyword but will also give that and Block a try too.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply