cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny story...

I'm always ready to whip out my business card if I see an opportunity, so I'm standing in the check-out line at the grocery store behind an elderly lady wearing a pretty multi-strand beaded necklace.  I think to myself, "Hmmm...  I wonder if there's more vintage jewelry where that came from?"  Breaking the ice, I say to her, "That's a pretty necklace you're wearing."  She turns to me with a beaming smile and says, "Oh, thank you!  I purchased it at Walmart just last week!"  LOL!  No doubt it probably came from China Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Funny story...

LOL.  Guess you couldn't see the clasp! 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Funny story...

Woman LOLThat is funny, mostly  because  I have never seen any jewelry at Walmart I would buy. 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Funny story...

🙂
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Funny story...

maybe the elderly lady prefers that "strangers" believe her lovely vintage necklace is just costume jewelry, for fear of theft -
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Funny story...

Dream, that's very funny!  

Sometimes I pick up a piece of glass at the thrift store and, to my horror/surprise, what I think is a vintage piece of glass has a Winners label on it, or Made in China sticker.

Phew, I think to myself, thank goodness the label is still on it, because it sure could have fooled me! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Funny story...

One of the lots at yesterdays auction was a "China plate."   Single dinner plate similar to the Famille Rose pattern but not attractive.  I picked it up and found a big "made in China" sticker on the back.  Auctioneer, bless his heart, did mention that.  It went for $9.  

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Funny story...

Cat Very Happy  Now that`s funny!

Just goes to show how convincing some of the newer stuff is.  I`m forever saying to T..  "Nope..that`s new".

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Funny story...

Same here, I am really more careful than ever.  I'm now seeing the enamel on brass flower pins, the back tells me they are new.  Beads and rhinestones are looking like they are glass more than ever.  Sometimes I have to just stand and look at the back and suddenly realize 'my gosh, now they're reproducing this style too'!  When they start putting spring rings instead of lobster claw closures I'll have to be even more careful.  I know there were lobster claws on older things, but not what I usually collect. 🙂  And for the record, I've always had a problem even working them, I don't know why. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Funny story...

I see a lot of spring rings on necklaces that don't look that old - and always with split rings on the other side rather than solid jumps.

flotsamlogo
Message 10 of 10
latest reply