cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair help - Fostoria cake plate separated

butbluesmyfavorite
Enthusiast
Help! The Fostoria American footed cake plate my mother gave to me has separated, the plate from the stand. It looks like it had been glued (it came that way, there's no broken glass or damage). Can anyone recommend a kind of glue to repair this? Thanks, Rebecca
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Hi Rebecca, I can't think of any glue that would work well at the moment. All I can think of is to warn you NOT to use Gorilla Glue. It might hold but it turns a very ugly brown color when cured. :-( Maybe some clear drying epoxy would work? I know that some very old glass cake stands had their bases attached with wafers of hot glass. I know that isn't helping you but you might have to consider professional repair for your keepsake. Maybe someone else in group has some good ideas about how to attach glass to glass. -- Warmest Regards, Yan PS... Take a look at this. It's from the thistothat site that tells about glues. This one is recommended for glass to glass. http://www.thistothat.com/glue/loctite_impruv.shtml -- Edited by yanny50 at 06/24/2008 9:38 PM PDT
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

gps500reading
Enthusiast
Rebecca -- If it's really a prized possession, you might want to have it professionally tended to. There are many sites on the web for crystal repair. One that I am familiar with is http://www.chinaandcrystalrepair.com/?gclid=CPGL3bHIkJQCFQvOIgodDRMOtQ In fact, I am getting ready to send them 4 goblets for chip removal on the rims. They seem very reasonable and professional. Good luck Cheers~~~~ Geoff
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

gps500reading
Enthusiast
Rebecca -- It's me again: Actually the site I meant to recommend is http://www.crystalrepair.com/. Both are good.
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

butbluesmyfavorite
Enthusiast
Thanks for the help. I'm going to try to glue it myself and if unsuccessful, I may bring it somewhere local - I don't think I'd trust my shipping skills! :-) Rebecca
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
DOGGONE IT, gps! How on earth do you find all of these wonderful sites? Kudos to you! Hedgie
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

gps500reading
Enthusiast
Hey, Hedgie -- Where ya been??? I know you have said that you're not a stem expert :-), but neither am I. If ou get a chance and have the inclination, take a look at the stems I posted in my photograph album. Any ideas?? Cheers~~~ Geoff
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
Hi gps!!!!!!!! Gosh--it sure is great to know you guys have missed me! One of my cats is ill so I've been diverting all of my energies to him. Took a look at your lovely stems & I would swear they are Candlewick (by the stems) except for the fact that the bowls are not flared......... I looked in the back of the Florence Elegant book at some diagrams of Cambridge stems but I couldn't find your stems there either--of course that doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot, does it? GIGGLE! I am looking at Heisey's Yeoman pattern now & am wondering if your pieces have light "thumbprints" on them........... My eyes are not so good anymore........... There is a compote shown on pg. 251 (11th. edition) that has a "balled" stem (only w/2 balls, tho)...... & the colors look as if they could be Heisey...... oh heck--I have a Heisey book! DUH ON ME! I'll try to find it & see if there is anything in it! Meanwhile--I bet someone will find it before I do! HA HA HA HA! HH
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

gps500reading
Enthusiast
Thanks, Hedgie. These glasses are driving me crazy. These are the very same ones we went through the Candlewick discussion about. However, if you go to the two websites below, you'll see that at the first one, my glasses don't match any of those shown, http://www.rubyglass.com/Candlewick/Index.asp and at the second, my glasses don't have the 'wafer' that the site says Candlewick glasses have. http://www.awantiques.com/cancol1.htm There are no 'thumbprints' --- just smooth glass. If you have time to search your Heisey book, that might yield some results. Good to talk to you again, and I hope your kitty is feeling better! Cheers~~ GPS
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Hi GPS, I spent some time looking at my 4 (whoopee!) glass books over the weekend, for myself, for your glasses, and just because. Gotta get more books. Somewhere in there, I read about the wafer thing, so I started examining all of the balled stems more closely. Nada. Did some looking online, too, and couldn't find a thing. Sure hope you can figure it out. What's their history? Bev
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
Gosh darnit, gps! I am still coming up dry! I checked my Heisey book & found nothing altho I'm not impressed w/that book AT ALL! I also looked in my 3 set of Imperial books & have yet to find bowls like yours! As the sites you directed me to show, it appears that Candlewick stems most often seem to have flared bowls! What to do! What to do! I did read (I amazed myself on that one--I actually READ!!! CHORTLE!)that Viking & Duncan/Miller bought some of the Imperial Candlewick moulds after Imperial closed......... I looked in the D-M section of the HMW2 book & found nothing. I checked in the Viking book & saw nothing that resembled Candlewick at all but that book just goes to 1970 or there abouts...... I checked my Fostoria book--did I already mention that? DUH if I did! I'll keep checkin'. My next stop will be my Florence 4-vol. ID Guides. Oh Bev--I FORGOT--I was going to try to send you a personal email on books, huh? Well--the 4 vol. Florence ID guides aren't too bad. The last volume has an index for the entire set & I think, if memory serves, vols. 1, 2 & 3 have an index in the front which list the patterns by companies. Note that these books usually only give one picture for each pattern but do list the colors made & the general number of items made in that pattern. They aren't bad references, I guess, & they have given me some leads............. Onward & upward we go, Crew! Hedgie
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Yo, Hedgie! I'm a little curious --- how did we get from repairing the Fostoria piece to the stemware dilemma to reference books??? :-) Regarding the reference books, my gripe is that you have to already KNOW something in order to find what you seek! Plus, as you said, sometimes only one piece of a particular pattern is pictured, and it's not the one YOU have! It would be so cool to have little flow charts that could narrow the possibilities down to a manageable number, esp. for those such as moi who don't even know where to begin half the time. Paging through books over and over and over takes a bit of time, y'know? For instance, GPS's stems. You go to this imaginary reference and look under stemware. Under stemware, you have some basic stem descriptions to choose from, and under those some more specific descriptions, until Voila! I do have one of the books that has an index of makers, and two with patterns in alphabetical order, but, again, if you haven't a CLUE to start with, it's hard to make any progress. SO, Hedgie, you get cracking on that book, make a million (or two), and give me a cut (say 10%) for the idea! Just think, you could go to a big glass show and go "nyah, nyah, nyah" to those creeps who sent you on a wild goose chase. happy 4th, all! Bev
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

gps500reading
Enthusiast
Bev -- you asked about the history of the glasses. They belonged to my wife's mom and were wedding presents, circa 1947. Also, your suggestion for a "flow chart" is really good, and, in fact, would be a great idea for a computer site. Until then, though, I think it's just pouring over the books and filing away in our memories the details, pecularities, distinguishing differences, etc. It is time consuming, but it is fun, because you learn more while on the search for somethig else!!! And, by the way, I have another set of stems, same history, that will set you all on another chase -- they have braided stems. But, we'll wait for another time hopefully after we identify these. These are approaching the "back burner" stage though! Cheers~~ Geoff
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Ooh, ooh, I SAW some braided stems while I was searching! Tally-ho! bb p.s. You're absolutely right about learning more by poring over books. The lazy way would come in handy sometimes, though.
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
I, too, Bev, like your suggestion of a flow-chart! But what an awesome undertaking that would be! Ever used books w/thumbnails? I REALLY like them! How did we get to reference books in a Fostoria American post? Ya got me! I just go w/the flow, ride w/the tide which is very unwise of me......... SIGH! I wish I could say that years of research & reading tend to teach one where to start looking for a specific pattern, shape, color etc. but I am proof that study has no impact whatsoever! 'Cause I, too, saw braided stems in my search yesterday, gps! But do ya think I remember where? Yet another sigh! This time a really big one. I remain clueless n PA! Hedgie
Message 15 of 25
latest reply