cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

carved wooden face mask

Can anyone tell me if this wooden mask is north American native or other? and if other, any ideas as to which of the multitude of global tribes it could be attributed? It is UNsigned! (the crook in the proboscis makes me think north American native!). I thank you for your time!

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: carved wooden face mask

Not NA, maybe Guatemala or, or, ...

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Made for tourists.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

It is not a mask.   A mask has eyeholes and is otherwise wearable.   This just hangs on a wall.   It's somebody's vague take on an NA mask, maybe, but it's a decorator / souvenir piece. 

This is a reference site worth bookmarking:

https://masksoftheworld.com/

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

thanx sonoma........! good to know!

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

thanx maxine........! good to know!

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I don't think it is a take on NA, it is from a specific country (that I don't know) prob South/Central American. The same tribe did totem poles that are offered as NA too. And it does have cut outs for eyes... above the painted eyes.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

thanx again sonoma.......!

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

And it does have cut outs for eyes... above the painted eyes.

?

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

And it does have cut outs for eyes... above the painted eyes.

?

I messed with it a bit, and guess Sonoma means these are slits cut out of the wood for eyes... ?

watermarked_15903318554692.jpg

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Correct. I would say that the downward angle of the cuts is acting a bit like an awning and the light can't be seen at that angle. You can see the cut-outs on the front as well above the painted eyes as well. If OP could shine a flashlight (torch) in that area they should be visible.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Okay.   Thanks.   Still bet you dollars to doughnuts no one ever wore this as a mask, though.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

From the front. Yes, not a real mask. I wonder if we could get DJT to wear it! 🙏

eyes.jpg

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I truly can't see any slits on the photos, front or back. To me they look like shadows. Perhaps it's like those optical illusion photos where some people see things as recessed and others see them as projections.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

When they bought it in the airport gift shop on their way back home, I'll bet the buyer held it up to his face and said Look honey, scary!"

Message 15 of 25
latest reply