cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Police warning over Shallotte, N.C. antique mall hand grenades

This is a very sad news item. I'm sharing it here because we've had relevant questions on the board in the past. Another live grenade may have been sold to a collector at the same venue last June. It's still untraced, so it doesn't hurt to spread the word:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/us/Grenade-kills-Virginia-child.html 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Police warning over Shallotte, N.C. antique mall hand grenades

c*me*4*lefton*info
Trailblazer

I hope the Feds pursue criminal charges. Ignorance of the law which makes possession or sale of explosives illegal, no matter how naive or "innocent" an offender is, is not an excuse to avoid prosecution from my perspective. Make an example of them I say.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yes, and we've seen grenades here, and cannonballs, and explosive devices, posted here by people who didn't even know what they had, much less about the danger.  Scary, that.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

c*me*4*lefton*info
Trailblazer

I hope the Feds pursue criminal charges. Ignorance of the law which makes possession or sale of explosives illegal, no matter how naive or "innocent" an offender is, is not an excuse to avoid prosecution from my perspective. Make an example of them I say.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@c*me*4*lefton*info wrote:

I wouldn't wish on anyone what that seller (or the mall owners) must be going through right now, but yes, there needs to be some accountability. I found an obituary of the kid online, it is tragic:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/heraldcourier/name/asher-hurley-obituary?pid=197427529 

Hopefully the police can to track down the missing grenade. And for anyone with one of these WWII relics in the attic who comes across this thread - please, play it safe, take no chances.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

“we all felt that the grenade was inert."

There should be a higher standard than feelings.  The mall and its insurance company failed by not having and following a clear policy in regards to ammo and firearms, etc. The dealer rents space from the mall and takes their cue from the mall rules. The lawyers will sort it all out/ Poor kid.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Exactly my reaction.  On what basis was it determined that the grenade was real but was was inert?  And by whom?  With what expertise?  When?  

And who is "we all," by the way?  Most mall owners / operators / managers have little, if any idea, what all the tenant-vendors have on offer at any given time.

And the "we're sorry this happened" verges on the offensive. 

You're sorry it happened  if someone's car in the parking lot was dinged by your delivery van.  You're sorry it happened  if a book fell off a display stand and bruised someone's toe.  You're sorry it happened  if the handle came off the shopping bag you gave someone and their purchases spilled out on the sidewalk.  

You should be a lot more than sorry it happened  when a 12-year-old dies from wounds inflicted by a hand grenade.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply