cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting Attributed to George Luks?

Hello,

I just picked up this painting which doesn't have signature.

On the back it says it's attributed to American Painter George Luks.

The document on the back says it was sold by B. Lewin Galleries in Palm Spring.

If you have any information or know anybody I can contact to have it appraised would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

IMG_8214.jpgIMG_8220.jpgIMG_8219.jpgIMG_8218.jpgIMG_8217.jpgIMG_8216.jpgIMG_8215.jpg

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Painting Attributed to George Luks?

And while I'm here, I'll add this:

Nothing has been a greater boon to fraud in all areas of collecting than the American mania for "Certificates of Authenticity."  Don't study.  Don't learn.  Don't know the market.  Don't hone your own instinct and intuition through experience.  Nope.  Just rely on those COAs.

It means people don't look closely at what they're buying, or have bought, because they're busy reading the COA.  It means even more drek and phony stuff can be got past collectors.  It's hard to fake a painting (or coin or sports card or whatever) if that thing is is going to be closely examined by someone with a clue.  It's easy to fake the COA, so keep the focus on that.

It's like a magician distracting you with the handkerchief in his left hand while his right hand picks your pocket.

The more you encourage people to rely on COAs, the more you discourage the actual learning that should be at the heart of any collecting and the delight of any collector.  It is also knowledge and experience that is any collector's best defense against being the victim of fraud.

Thus endeth the sermon.

-

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Ok,

Here are the photos of the back.

Let me know what you think.

There is a label attached. It's damaged. Maybe it was on the old frame?IMG_8224.jpgIMG_8230.jpgIMG_8228.jpgIMG_8227.jpgIMG_8226.jpgIMG_8225.jpg

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

It's a linen canvas and looks to be from the 50's-80's so just that makes me think not Luks. It's a decent work, maybe a later follower/copyist but not a period piece given his dates.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

And as Luks was an American and that the stretcher looks to be European, I would look elsewhere for an attribution.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

The label may be from a different painting entitled simply "Nude."  It's oddly placed. I can't make it out but there looks like what could be a signature to the left of the metal piece.   Does your canvas exactly match the measurements given on the label?

Rita

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

Taking a second look at all this I wanted to mention that even if a rep from Lewin came on here and said the attribution holds up... I still would not believe all this as being an authentic Luks. Top authenticators don't rely on hokey COAs like we see here, they go much deeper in a hunt for facts. And forgers go to extreme measures to  dress up their wares. There is no proof that this is what is being purported but we do see glaring evidence that someone was just mucking about on this one.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Oh my ...

For some reason, this thread popped up again in my feed, and I took another look and did another google search.

This time I found this result:

lacemaker3_0-1690756591460.png

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

At least we now know that it is purporting to be  "a hand painted reproduction" by someone who calls himself "George Luks".

I'm still wary. 🙄

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@bouchan52 

I was looking to find a reason for this to be authentic. COAs are a garbage form of provenance, true, but it wouldn't be the first time an enthusiastic seller gilded their legitimate lily by adding flourishes like a COA or even adding a signature, hoping to boost sale price. I was hoping to give you some good news. 

Sadly, I can't. 

Below you can see a comparison of a B. Lewin label for Luks. It's possible that the label on the COA piece is from a different time, and gallery location (P.Springs)  explaining the label differences I see: 

Artist Geo. vs George

Media Oil vs Oil/Canvas

BOLDED Artist, Media, Size & Title prompts

Merel/Brandon vs Helvetica font for the above prompts the fonts are different (look at the M in Media.) 

Also there is a real art to making copy look like it came off a real typewriter. The ink transfer is seldom very even when authentic. Letters appear lighter or darker and can be "blown out." When a printer is used to imitate real type, it's crisp, homogeneous and easy to spot. The Beverly Hills label shows what you'd expect from a typewriter. 

Additionally, the Palm Springs paper is bright and new while still being nearly worn through. Prior to the 1980s, acidic paper was standard - causing yellowing, curling and brittleness over time.  

Lastly, the lack of the gallery location doesn't freak me out, but the missing line for provenance/origin does. See the line on Beverly Hills that reads EISS? That's a note to the gallery staff indicating the collection/auction house/or imports company it came from before they had it. 

Taking a second to appreciate the effort (failed though it may be) that went into the reproduction of this label, notice they nailed the weight and font of the gallery header and even perfectly mimicked the # symbol (above right) that's not a wingding you can get in a font suite. That's tedious & meticulous work.  

Screenshot_20230730-172051~4.png

Screenshot_20230730-173927~2.png

Screenshot_20230730-185035~2.png

I'd be upset with the person or auction this came from. I'm very curious (if you're willing to share) how it came into your hands, for academic and future reference. This was a simultaneously half-а$$еd and elaborate endeavor to create "authenticity." And I'd like to know how to avoid being in this position. 

Terribly sorry. Please let us know what else you can share and what you are considering doing next. 

Mae

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

And the typed portions of the Palm Springs label uses upper and lower cases, where Beverly Hills is all caps'd. 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Thank you so much for your time and research. This community is amazing.

I'm still going to enjoy this piece.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

You should. Regardless the artist, it's real paint on real canvas, well executed and in a nice frame. What's not to like? 

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

That's a heck of an eye you have. I wouldn't have noticed any those things. 

Message 28 of 28
latest reply