cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Russian Cyrillic artist's name

I need some help with identifying this Russian artist's name on a lacquer boxRussian lacquer box signature - Kiroyan V.jpg

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I am Russian and can read the artist's name as  Кирьян В.П. or Kir' yan V.P.  I ran  the title   зимние напевы  and artist's name through Google looking for Russian references, but didn't find anything. It  means that the artist is not well known.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 25 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

It's just too fuzzy for my tired old eyes to make out, but this may help others:

"Russian lacquer box signature - Kiroyan V.jpg".jpeg

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

It would help if we could get to see the rest of the box (or at least, at a minimum, any other writing).

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Unfortunately, it's the seller's pics, and they aren't very good. Here's a couple pics, one with the title of the work ("Winter Tunes?" and the other the entire lid. Russian lacquer box title Zimnie Napevy - Winter Tunes.jpgRussian lacquer box.jpg

@argon38 wrote:

It would help if we could get to see the rest of the box (or at least, at a minimum, any other writing).

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

The box is still on the way to me. Once it arrives, I'll take better photos and post them. I can't even make out the village from the seller's pics - it's there, but very fuzzy, almost hidden beneath the snow to the right of center.
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I see from the title of your photos that your own reading of the name is "Kiroyan." I must admit I find it difficult to read the name in any other way, but Kiroyan doesn't appear to be Russian. I've scrolled through all the artist names on the Sunbirds site (which is a great resource), but none of them seem like possibilities either:

https://www.sunbirds.com/artists/

So I'm at a loss. We occasionally get a native Russian speaker stopping by on the boards, who may be able to help.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Yeah, V. Kiroyan was the best that I could come up with. I also use the Sunbirds site - it IS a great resource. Also checked "Palekh Artists". Couldn't find anything really close...Kiryanov was a possibility, but I can't imagine anyone misspelling their own name! It will be interesting to see what the village name is (if that's what I'm seeing in the lower right center.

Anyway, thanks for trying. I will post better pics when it arrives - it is due Monday...

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

the title i get 

Russian: ЗиммиЕ НАпЕВы ІІ to english: Winter season II

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@moms**art**window** wrote:

the title i get 

Russian: ЗиммиЕ НАпЕВы ІІ to english: Winter season II

It's just ЗИМНИЕ НАПЕВЫ: the lines that look like "II" are only closing quotation marks. From what I can find, the literal meaning is "Winter Tunes," as the OP says. Perhaps "Winter Melodies" sounds better in English.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I see the first word as 3ИМНИЕ, which (on-line translator) translates as winter.

I see the second as НАПЕВЫ, which (on-line translator) translates as tune, strain, melody, air.

What you use as the Roman numeral II, I see as " (closing quote marks, with the opening quote marks being in the lower position).

For whatever that's worth.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Cross-post.  Late to the party.  Again. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

I wonder if напев might also mean "theme" or "motif," which would make more sense in this context than tunes or melodies. I see that мотив is given as one synonym:

https://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/dic_synonims/86221/%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BF%D0%B5%D0%B2

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Do you mean like "leitmotif"?   Couke be,

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Couke = Could

Sigh.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Do you mean like "leitmotif"?   Couke be,

Yes, exactly. But it's just a thought and I'm too tired to investigate it further tonight.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply