Re: Is this an antenna?

No.

I think  it is just a  thing

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

It's part of a neon sign. Do an image search of "Sputnik Neon." There was on the laundromat in my neighborhood.

"All black and white, nice." ~ golders
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

wrote:

It's part of a neon sign. Do an image search of "Sputnik Neon." There was on the laundromat in my neighborhood.

I'm not sure this was ever neon, but I believe you did nail it as a "Sputnik sign":

https://www.google.com/search?q=sputnik+signs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL2bTbrpnZAhWSjVk...

and

https://www.google.com/search?q=sputnik+neon+signs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKrOfCr5nZAh...

I had forotten about those things but, you're right, and they were everywhere -- laundromats, drive-ins, motels, you-name-it.    Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I have no idea what it is.

My guess: it was made in the 1950s-1960s inspired by sputnik. It looks like it was home made so might fall into the folk art catagory. Can only guess the use, a barn topper/weather vane? Flag pole topper? Building ornament?

Do I win?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

wrote:

You've got it. It seems the technical term for them is "Roto-spheres." Interesting article here:

http://www.roadarch.com/sca/roto.html

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

wrote:

I'm not sure this was ever neon

If you zoom in really close you can just about see a lighting filament around the edges.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

If you zoom in really close you can just about see a lighting filament around the edges.

Okay, thanks.  Not something I could see, even zooming in.  It's a nifty thing.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Oops! Make that "lighting tube," since neon lights don't have filaments.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I am old enough to have seen such things above restaurant and drive-in signs and such. I believe you would find an excellent market for it if your wish is to sell.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the link about the Roto-spheres. Interesting read indead!

Cheers

Timeless Objekt

www.timelessobjekt.com

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I like the yellow and the turquoise ones the best. The multi-color ones are just too darn fussy. Wasn't the original Sputnik silver?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

sonomabarn67 wrote:

Wasn't the original Sputnik silver?

It was, indeed. However, it seems the design wasn't based on the satellite - at least, not directly - but on a "commercial for a children's toy or a spinning Christmas ornament." And in fact it doesn't really resemble the original Sputnik very much at all, when you look at it:

sputnik_banner

By the way, this is quite an old thread... I wonder if the OP has had any success with restoring or selling it.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

That's very true. If the orig Sputnik turned up at a antique show or flea, no one would believe it because it doesn't look like the "real" Sputnik seen on ebay!

RIP Laika

Message 14 of 14
latest reply