cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please to Identify Side Opening Asian Vase - - - Is it called something in particular?

Hello!

Another item that is giving me a headache insofar as how to describe it. . . . . it seems to be a side opening Asian vase or mantel vase that can accommodate a long-stemmed dried floral arrangement or reeds or a branch of some kind.   The reason it does not seem to be a traditional vase with the opening at the top is because that would make the bird scene upside down. 

Numerous google searches for "side opening vase" resulted in not a single vase that shows a side opening.   I'm at a loss.    Your thoughts, community wizards?

Thanks in advance!

xoxo

Front with opening at sideFront with opening at sideBack with opening at sideBack with opening at sideSide openingSide openingTopTopBottomBottomSide opposite openingSide opposite opening

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help Please to Identify Side Opening Asian Vase - - - Is it called something in particular?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Help Please to Identify Side Opening Asian Vase - - - Is it called something in particular?

Epic work @orphie1402 !! 

For those too gunshy to click the link provided above, here are the images and description: 

Screenshot_20231027-040958.png

Screenshot_20231027-040946.png

I had no idea these existed, so I'm really glad I saw this!!

Thanks!

Mae

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

A new one on me.  And here's one from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Museum:

https://museum.dea.gov/museum-collection/collection-spotlight/artifact/opium-pillow

-

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

OMG!!! In a million years I would not have imagined its purpose.  Thank you so very much!  And it might be valuable.  To think I've been pushing it around on lower shelves where it easily could be a target for cats' rough-housing.  I definitely will list this as I've no need to stash opium nor to use a hard object as a pillow!! 🙂

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I was just setting out some Halloween candy and came across some of my son's opium.

Oh wait, that was his vegan licorice.😃

Message 6 of 6
latest reply