cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a buisness mailing policy

I've been getting suggestions and I am very greatful for the suggestions but I've been considering going to media mail because i hear my competition is and has been using and I'm going to my business polices and I see media mail policies in different ways I need to create a media mail business polices on my books then create a second mailing polices. I'm getting fustrated and I just don't know what to do and I am going to be in detail with my items that just might work. any suggestions?

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@shireshann 

"what about the tins being first class mail currently their priority mail? I've been thinking about tins being first class mail."

It depends upon the weight of the tins, plus the shipping materials -- if the total weight is below 1 pound, you can ship as a First Class package; but over 1 pound, they must ship as Priority.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

It seems like you do understand that the tins probably do not qualify as media mail, but the books certainly would.

Don't understand the need to create "mailing policies", but, then again, I no longer sell.

When you list a book wouldn't you list it with media mail and when you list a tin of crayons, wouldn't you just choose another mailing method? 

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Opt out of business / mailing policies. Pick a shipping service and a price (fixed, calculated, or free) based on the item you're selling.

In the case of books, you should definitely be using Media Mail. You won't be close to competitive on price otherwise. One of your books is priced at $3.70, and the shipping cost shows for me as $17.69 (about $13 more than MM.)  The mega-sellers you're up against have the same book for $4 with free shipping.

Put yourself in the buyer's place. Whose book would you buy?

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Many of your items show a shipping price of $23.22 for USPS Priority shipping, which seems to be quite high for USPS Priority -- a more realistic price would be $9.65 for USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope (which would cost you $7.60, if you purchased your shipping through eBay).

Your tinned Crayola items are NOT considered to be "media," so you would not be able to ship those at USPS Media rates.

And most of your book items are either romances or cookbooks, which most buyers would tell you do not justify USPS Priority shipping -- plus both those genres are VERY slow movers, and are discounted very deeply (below your prices) at Barnes & Noble.

You should really consider a more diverse selection of items to attract a wider variety of buyers and browsers.  Hit a few garage sales and flea markets, and load up on inexpensive but sellable inventory.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

Media mail sounds like a good idea and a good solution but what about the tins being first class mail currently their priority mail? I've been thinking about tins being first class mail.

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

@shireshann 

"what about the tins being first class mail currently their priority mail? I've been thinking about tins being first class mail."

It depends upon the weight of the tins, plus the shipping materials -- if the total weight is below 1 pound, you can ship as a First Class package; but over 1 pound, they must ship as Priority.

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

I thought so. 

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

I've been at this quite a while. 
I have maybe 25 policies: they populate a drop down box when I get to "shipping" on the SYI. Since I primarily sell books, I leave it at Media Mail/international First Class with other options allowed for the buyers. When it is a heavy book I have to change it to Media Mail,International Priority with other options. 

I always use calculated. I pretty much always offer free domestic shipping. 

Parcel Select is an excellent option for larger packages, I've saved a bunch of $$ using this option for lots of books. It is also my go to for other items which don't qualify for media rate. 

Sometimes, not often, UPS ground offers a better price than parcel select. 

I always choose the cheapest rate for me within the delivery window chosen by the customer. Generally the customer doesn't make a choice and just buys. 

So set up several shipping policies, and default to what you use most. If you list a bunch of items in succession the SYI form will return what you started with on everything: categories, shipping, etc. So if you list a lot of tins, then list them all at once to save on changing the shipping policy every listing.

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

thank you

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

I'm still new to media mail I've never done this before I just posted my first item to media mail and it could work.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

@shireshann 

"  I just posted my first item to media mail and it could work."

Do you have another site?  I just checked your listings, and your most recent listing is dated March 29, with a shipping price of $23.22.  I don't find any listings showing USPS Media shipping.

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

Perhaps indexing delay ?

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

I started working on it today I'll get it done soon 

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Changed the from proirty to media mail their were a few that didn't qualify for media mail they went straight to first class I need to add more detail and pictures I will work on them again and I'll have to go back to terrapeak again I get busy taking care of my mom

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

they've all been changed to media mail

Message 15 of 48
latest reply