cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a Repeat Buyer Business for your Store

We've jam-packed Stores with new features built to help you grow your business. Here are some new ways you can drive more traffic and buyer interest to your Store:

• Gain more interest by emailing newsletters offering promotions to buyer groups
  • Activate your inventory strips to attract more buyers 
  • Learn how your newsletters are performing with new reports 
  • Promote your products across social channels

You can learn more about that here, feel free to review and post any questions you may have below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards today the 28th through Friday the 30th.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Store Newsletters

The screenshot in the Seller Update shows different options for Recipients including:

• All Subscribers
  • Followers
  • Recent Buyers
  • All New Subscribers
  • Most Recent Buyers

Can you clarify the difference between a Follower and a Subscriber?

In past versions of store, there was a dedicated newsletter signup. In a chat with Chuck from the stores team a few months ago on this community forum, he said the only way to sign up for a store newsletter is to follow it and that by following any store, an eBay user is automatically (and unknowingly) signed up for the store's newsletter.

To further confirm what Chuck said, the FAQ on the seller update says: "It’s easy for buyers to subscribe by clicking the “Save Seller” heart icon on the listing page or on your Store’s page."

1. If this is the case, then why does the recipients column in the screenshot differentiate between Subscribers and Followers? "Save Seller" is the equivalent of following.

2. Will dedicated newsletter subscription signups be reinstated so only people that truly want newsletters will receive them? If not, how is eBay going to make it clear to buyers that following a seller - or even buying from a seller(!) - subjects them to that seller's newsletters?

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

seller_update@ebay 

This is off topic, but there isn't a thread created to discuss the changes in the User Agreement.  Could we please have such a thread?

What specifically changed in the User Agreement.  Like most I do not have it memorized and would like to know which specific sections changed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

seller_update@ebay 

This is off topic, but there isn't a thread created to discuss the changes in the User Agreement.  Could we please have such a thread?

What specifically changed in the User Agreement.  Like most I do not have it memorized and would like to know which specific sections changed.

Hey @mam98031 thanks so much for your suggestion on creating this thread.  I'll be glad to pass this feedback on to the appropriate team.  

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

seller_update@ebay 
Got a question about the newsletter:
I have sent a few out over the past month, one question of the amount of people who receive the newsletter I have is I set it for all Followers + Subscribers - that total is currently 175 followers (174 at time I sent last newsletter) + 10 Subscribers (being a new feature not many have signed up or subscribed yet)...that total is 185 (184 when sent newsletter)...however, on the Summary page it states Total Reach, after I sent the first newsletter and before I sent the second one several days ago that number said 136 - well 174+10 doesn't = 136 so why isn't it sending to ALL followers and subscribers? After I sent the second newseletter that number of reach is now 262 but again 174+10 doesn't = 126 - the total reach for both newsletters sent should be 368

Also side note: when creating groups, you create them but the system says no groups exist when trying to add them to a newsletter.

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 5 of 30
latest reply

There's an option to turn off e-mail updates from sellers you follow. There's potential that's the discrepancy you're seeing, nuclear. Total followers vs Total followers that didn't disable e-mail updates from sellers they follow? Just guessing. Either way, eBay should provide more clarity around the numbers.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

There's an option to turn off e-mail updates from sellers you follow. There's potential that's the discrepancy you're seeing, nuclear. Total followers vs Total followers that didn't disable e-mail updates from sellers they follow? Just guessing. Either way, eBay should provide more clarity around the numbers.

it's possible but a lot of followers didn't (i think) have that option before as no newsletter existed before. But yeah, it's possible explaination, thanks, didn't think of that

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

seller_update@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

seller_update@ebay 

Hey @mam98031 thanks so much for your suggestion on creating this thread.  I'll be glad to pass this feedback on to the appropriate team.  

@mam98031 if it helps, I posted about the changes I was able to identify in the UA here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Fall-2022-Update-Is-Here/m-p/33250985/highlight/true#M2085879

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

This is interesting.

The option to unsubscribe from e-mail updates always existed, but in the past it was e-mail updates from eBay.

eBay sends out a weekly e-mail that says something like "new from your saved sellers" and you open the e-mail and see new listings from sellers you follow. If you disabled e-mail updates for specific sellers, those sellers would not be included in the weekly e-mail.

I last viewed my saved sellers settings page maybe 2 months ago so this change I just found is pretty recent. They changed the wording - screenshot below. It no longer says subscribe/unsubscribe from e-mails. Now it specifically references newsletters. That's a significant change.

eBay still does not notify a buyer when they click the heart that it will subscribe them to newsletters. That's a flaw in my opinion.

I want newsletter subscribers, but only if they choose to opt-in. I don't want them forced by an unclear eBay setting that hitting a heart icon will automatically subscribe you.

savedseller.png

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

I never checked my settings for that but I obviously am not subscribed to any cause I never get emails from saved sellers (I only have a few anyways, and most of them are not huge on ebay I just know that from outside ebay as they do labels/distro's themselves, most their sales go through their websites). 

There is other things about the newsletter that don't add up... like reports...well how do you access them, i can't, the photo they have on seller update about it, my summary page looks different then the screen they give. I cannot access any report, I also got message last one I sent that states "Outgoing email contains error that needs my attention..." but I can't do anything, see the error etc... seems to me this whole newsletter system is greatly flawed. seller_update@ebay 
IMG_4175_1.jpgIMG_4175_2.jpg

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

There is other things about the newsletter that don't add up... like reports...well how do you access them, i can't, the photo they have on seller update about it, my summary page looks different then the screen they give. I cannot access any report, I also got message last one I sent that states "Outgoing email contains error that needs my attention..." but I can't do anything, see the error etc... seems to me this whole newsletter system is greatly flawed. seller_update@ebay 

Your screenshot shows a status of SENT not ERROR, so there was no error with your newsletter. The info pop-up explains what the different status mean.

The update was pretty vague about reports. Is it just those stats in the upper right with total reach, open rate, etc? I don't see anything in the update about reports being downloadable. Think it's just a high level number overview that you view on screen.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

I never checked my settings for that but I obviously am not subscribed to any cause I never get emails from saved sellers (I only have a few anyways, and most of them are not huge on ebay I just know that from outside ebay as they do labels/distro's themselves, most their sales go through their websites). 

@nuclearomen I think they are using the term "reports" very liberally here.

See that part that says reach, open rate, and click through rate? I think that's what they mean by "reports" - I don't believe those were there when newsletters first rolled out.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

Hey @nuclearomen! Thank you for sharing this information and feedback. We will make sure to get this over to the correct team so they can look into this. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I think they are using the term "reports" very liberally here.

See that part that says reach, open rate, and click through rate? I think that's what they mean by "reports" - I don't believe those were there when newsletters first rolled out.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I think it's more high-level stats than actual reports. It doesn't give any kind of breakdown. Click through rate is a total % for the newsletter - it doesn't tell you which links were clicked or which featured listings/promos generated the most interest as a result of the newsletter.

It's too early to say they're offering reports. They're offering stats and haven't progressed to reports yet. That's fine - they have to start somewhere and I expect if newsletters are heavily utilized then they'll invest more in actual reporting down the line. But it is confusing to label it reports at this stage. It has an implication that sellers should expect more.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

What are inventory strips? How does one activate them?

Message 15 of 30
latest reply