cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "1 people have this in their cart" mean?

Today is the first time I have seen this on one of my listings. I chatted with Ebay and they said it was a new feature but not sure what it means (besides the obvious). Do buyers typically add items to their cart before hitting the BIN key? I had thought about lowering price and sending an offer to my one watcher but wondering if I should just wait now. Curious as to any of your experiences. Thanks.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@gurlcat 

Here is a screenshot of one of my listings. I think I started seeing it within the last few weeks, but I cannot be sure. It seems like every week I notice something different on the listing pages lol

Screenshot 2024-05-17 151555.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

That means a buyer has an item in their cart. They are probably deciding whether or not to buy.

It isn't a new feature. I see it a lot especially when I see "Listings eligible to send offers" they either have looked at the item, watched the item or have it in their cart. 

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

Ebay re-seller who doesn't want to give the item a "search boost" by watching it, but would still like to enjoy the benefit of a seller offer.  The water is cold and full of sharks.

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

Some buyers who are planning to buy multiple items from a seller place them in their cart. They then request an invoice for the total with combined shipping.

Placing the item in their cart does not reserve the item. Someone else can buy it. If someone else buys it, the buyer who has it in their cart cannot.

Sellers do not know an item is in a buyer's cart unless they request an invoice.

The message may be new, I have never seen it. The cart is not new.

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

@fastkc -Where did you see it?  Like did you have the listing open, or was it somewhere in the hub near the listing, or ...... ??

If they were smart they would show BUYERS how many people have an item in their carts.  Etsy does this, and yes once or twice it has lit a fire under my butt to go ahead and purchase a thing before it's gone.  

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 4.23.55 PM.png

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Hahha. Very interesting. 

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

@fastkc wrote:

Today is the first time I have seen this on one of my listings. I chatted with Ebay and they said it was a new feature but not sure what it means (besides the obvious). Do buyers typically add items to their cart before hitting the BIN key? I had thought about lowering price and sending an offer to my one watcher but wondering if I should just wait now. Curious as to any of your experiences. Thanks.

I'm sure I've seen this on eBay many times, I know that it is a common marketing technique used on many ecommerce sites.

For a OOAK listing the target is anyone coming to the listing and to get them to be concerned that they need to make a move before someone else scoops it.

For a multi-quantity listing it's to point out that other buyers are ready to buy not just look and leave.

I don't know if it's typical but I always add to cart, I usually end up adding quite a few things then go in to the cart and delete the things I don't actually want to buy (now or ever).

An "Add To Cart" button is ubiquitous online, for many sites it's the only way you can actually buy something.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Yes. The message pops up in a red bubble just like "XX Have Sold" etc. 

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

I happened to open the listing to check my revisions to see if I had dropped the price before.  I had one watcher on a BIN.  After clicking said listing it shows up as a red bubble. 

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

So you are saying it is visible to other possible buyers? I thought maybe it was just something I could only see in MyEbay. 

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

I'm pretty sure I have NEVER seen it as a buyer, not on eBay, and I shop or at least window-shop here almost every day.  Now, I have see "_______ watched in the last 24 hours" on listings.  But about people having it in their cart, no. 

If you can find a screenshot I'd eat crow and be very happy to see it because it would be a good sales-getter.  

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

I am a buyer only for the past 18 years and ALWAYS put items in my cart before proceeding to checkout in case I want more than one of YOUR  items or want to do  a SINGLE checkout action and pay for all items in my cart from multi sellers at once since I use ONLY PayPal and do not want multiple logins there either. It is not a new  feature at least from a buyer's perspective unless "new" is measured in years. I do NOT remember the last time that i hit a BIN selection.

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

@gurlcat 

Here is a screenshot of one of my listings. I think I started seeing it within the last few weeks, but I cannot be sure. It seems like every week I notice something different on the listing pages lol

Screenshot 2024-05-17 151555.jpg

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@fastkc 

Yes, it is visible to other possible buyers.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

HOLY COW, thanks for grabbing that!  
-I just now noticed that when I opened one of my listings I got a red bubble that said '8 people have VIEWED your listing in the past 24 hours.'  -That's new to me too.  I have been seeing the ones saying how many started watching in the past 24, but views, no.  

Message 15 of 43
latest reply