cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when buyer refused a USPS priroity shipment

A buyer bought an expensive item from me,after I packed and printed the shipping label,purchased insurance from private insurer,I email her and thank her for the business.

Then she said her son placed the order by touching her phone and asked me to cancel the order as she needs the money to pay her monthly mortgage. 

It wa picked up by the carrier so I called our local post office and ask them to track down the driver and ask him to return the package.

He did not show up and this morning I found that it is on its way to the buyer.

Buyer then said she would refuse the package and asked me to refund her less $$ I already spent on shipping and insurance  so she can pay her mortgage.

How long does it take for a refused USPS priority package to come back to me ?

I do not want to refund her before I received the refused package and examine the content.

I do not believe his son touched her phone and placed an expensive order,I looked up her feedback and she was selling similar items and received negative feedback from buyers saying she never ship the item.

I sure do not want her to lose her home,but how long does it take for a priority package to come back to me ,I am in Southwest and she is in CA?  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

There's no way to say for certain, but my experience leads me to believe that the return trip is not given any priority at all, so it takes much longer than the original.

The son's behavior and any potential of losing her home really aren't your concern.  In particular, the foreclosure process takes much longer than the return shipping will take.  I would not voluntarily refund until I received and inspected the return.  I would block the buyer immediately.

Good luck...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

There's no way to say for certain, but my experience leads me to believe that the return trip is not given any priority at all, so it takes much longer than the original.

The son's behavior and any potential of losing her home really aren't your concern.  In particular, the foreclosure process takes much longer than the return shipping will take.  I would not voluntarily refund until I received and inspected the return.  I would block the buyer immediately.

Good luck...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@freeshipusa1 wrote:

• How long does it take for a refused USPS priority package to come back to me ?
  • . . . how long does it take for a priority package to come back to me . . .

Good question, tofu107. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can give you a reliable answer.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Tell her you will refund her when you get the package back. If she refuses the package she loses the money back guarantee.

As to shipping time. Who knows? This is the USPS. You could get it back anywhere from a few days to never. I'd think within a week is reasonable.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Do not refund buyer until you have package back. 

Holiday weekend so so may be a delay in buyer actually getting package to even refuse it. 

I had a similar situation with a buyer a couple of months ago. She refused pkg on 3/9. I did not get it back til 3/22.  And she lived 2 states away. 

Make sure you open "buyer request for cancel" so you get your fees back. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@freeshipusa1 wrote:

A buyer bought an expensive item from me,after I packed and printed the shipping label,purchased insurance from private insurer,I email her and thank her for the business.

Then she said her son placed the order by touching her phone and asked me to cancel the order as she needs the money to pay her monthly mortgage. 

It wa picked up by the carrier so I called our local post office and ask them to track down the driver and ask him to return the package.

Buyer then said she would refuse the package and asked me to refund her less $$ I already spent on shipping and insurance  so she can pay her mortgage.

I do not want to refund her before I received the refused package and examine the content.

I do not believe his son touched her phone and placed an expensive order,I looked up her feedback and she was selling similar items and received negative feedback from buyers saying she never ship the item.

I sure do not want her to lose her home,but how long does it take for a priority package to come back to me ,I am in Southwest and she is in CA?  

Your buyer will lose their  Buyer protection  by refusing the package  From Ebay  .  Draw back is  Paypal will void the tracking  info  ,  However they may back you up if you get the right rep on the phone .

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If it hasn't gotten to her yet, it looked like maybe this happened today?  you should be able to go to  USPS.com with the tracking number.. track a package.. and do a package recall.  That way it won't even go to her... the carrier will see the recall when he scans it to deliver it, if it isn't seen somewhere before, and hopefully, will not deliver it.  That would be the best possible option it seems to me.  I can't believe your post office didn't tell you that you could do that!!!  That is crazy!  When you get that done, just watch the tracking on the package and see where it goes.. hopefully it will turn around and come back to you. If you have trouble getting that done, talk to the post master at your post office, they should be able to help you.

I hope this posts right.. i've never been here before.. LOL  I'm a total newbie here..

Bless your heart... Good luck!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

@freeshipusa1 wrote:

Your buyer will lose their  Buyer protection  by refusing the package  From Ebay  .  Draw back is  Paypal will void the tracking  info  ,  However they may back you up if you get the right rep on the phone .

PayPal won’t back the OP up. Argue all you want but the seller protection policy is clear as day, no proof of delivery to the buyer=no seller protection 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 8
latest reply