cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping vintage dolls

I have vintage dolls in their original box. Because of their size I have a hard time finding boxes. Can i write the box in bubble wrap and then thick brown paper several times around? What are the chance the box will get squashed. 

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

shipping vintage dolls

Unless the original box is somewhat sturdy there would be a good chance that they will get crushed.

I don't sell dolls, but I often build custom size boxes by sourcing larger cardboard.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

shipping vintage dolls

Unless the original box is somewhat sturdy there would be a good chance that they will get crushed.

I don't sell dolls, but I often build custom size boxes by sourcing larger cardboard.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

Chances are 100% that the box will be crushed and you will have unhappy buyers.  Boxes are easy to find.  Go to any store and ask.  There are also plenty of free USPS priority boxes if that is your shipping choice.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

One way to know is to pack one up the way you are thinking and do some tests. 

1. Throw it across the room as hard as you can into a wall. (Simulates the truck unloaders and the backstop your package hits before it falls onto the conveyor)

2. Drop it 4’ onto concrete. (Happens all the time)

3. Drop a 20 pound package on top of it corner down.  (Again, happens all the time went going into a bin)

4. Stack a few dozen packages on top of it of all different weights and sizes.  (Simulates it being on the bottom of a bin while in transit)

I think you will find the answer to your question is no. 

I have sold many vintage dolls. Depending on how rare, sometimes I double box with a several inch clearance all around. 

MIMB mint in mint box. If the box is in excellent condition it adds to the value.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

@vmliferesources wrote:

I have vintage dolls in their original box. Because of their size I have a hard time finding boxes. Can i write the box in bubble wrap and then thick brown paper several times around? What are the chance the box will get squashed. 

I'm not a vintage doll expert but I'd expect that a collector who buys a vintage doll in its original box expects the box to be in as mint condition as possible. 

Not packing properly will wreck the box and you'll be getting NAD claims. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

When I have a larger unusual shape, I will cut a custom box out of a large piece of cardboard. You are also allowed to cut/tape/combine priority mail boxes as long as you are shipping priority mail (do not use special rate boxes such as flat/regional/etc rate). Also, do not use priority mail products as filler. 

A box wrapped in bubble wrap and then thick brown paper is giving me comedic images of your buyer holding a shredded and tattered box.

I can carefully cover a flat box with brown paper that will survive shipment. I would not try the brown paper over bubble wrap.  On the other hand, I have double boxed many ceramic cookie jars, large piggy banks, original boxes, etc that safely shipped without issue.

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

Go to www.uline.com. They have a virtually unlimited selection of boxes in every size you can possibly imagine.

They do require quantities of 25 but you did say DOLLS (plural).

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

In addition to what everybody else said about the item having a high chance of arriving damaged without an outer shipping box @vmliferesources, carriers advise that it's a bad idea to ship anything wrapped in paper. It very easily gets caught, torn and shredded, and it can cause equipment issues when pieces are ripped off and get pulled into USPS sorting machinery.

What size is the original doll box?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

Go to any gas station with a deli in your neighborhood and ask them for boxes. It’s a great source for many different sizes. Graphics can be hidden by cutting the box and flipping it inside out. 

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

Go to your grocery store when they are stocking shelves.  This is usually the day before weekly sale change; late afternoon early evening hours.  You can find nice 12x16x8 boxes from refrigerated bagels, avoid garlic, onion and everything flavors.  Walmart's bakery section is tops for even bigger sizes that should work for dolls in boxes.  They stock sporadically every day.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

Rockstar!!! Wow, I am very impressed that you responded to my question!

Box is 25x10x7

Thanks for your time!

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

thank you. good idea!

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

thanks!

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

good idea. thanks!

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

shipping vintage dolls

i priced the shipping too low so I guess I am just going to have to eat the costs. I probably need to do calculated

I don't understand how some sellers offer free shipping. 

Message 15 of 38
latest reply