cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Decline a Return, buyer claims "Doesn't work or defective"

Hey there ebayers! Maybe someone can guide me in this situation? This was my first sold item and I already got a request for return.

Buyer purchased a rifle scope ($725), model SWFA 1-6x24. Numbers mean scope magnifies from 6x down to 1x. Buyer claims at 1x magnification scope makes sight picture smaller than necessary, which is partially true: at minimum magnification sight picture does look different than unexperienced user might have expected. That is how optics work to actually LOWER the magnification. Clearly buyer had never had this type of scope.

However claim "Doesn't work or defective" is not true - they just did not like the item. 

How do I confront this claim and decline the request? 

I had selected No returns or exchanges, but item is covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee as my return policy. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you do want the item back, accept the return & issue the prepaid label.
!!! You can deny the return but not the refund !!!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Accept the return.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

No eBay rep is going to understand or agree with your explanation. If you deny the return, the buyer will end up with the item AND the refund.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

You can simply issue the buyer a full refund if you wish to decline the return. It’s better to do it yourself rather than ask eBay to step in & do it for you. Got return policies applies to buyers remorse. The money back guarantee overrides all of your policies when it comes to an item that is not as described. “Defective or doesn’t work” falls under “not as described” so again if you don’t want the item, just refund the buyer. If you do want the item back, accept the return & issue the prepaid label. You can deny the return but not the refund.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

And you just might get a rock back insread of the scope. New sellers are targets for scammers selling high dollar items.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@dougsue123b wrote:

And you just might get a rock back insread of the scope. New sellers are targets for scammers selling high dollar items.

With respect to receiving the return of a very costly item, perhaps you can request the mail article be held at the post office ,you then verify security cameras function, and open the parcel in the presence of a USPS employee, should you suspect that you may receive a rock.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

The best answer .
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Although this may be late , I would ask the buyer to take the scope to a local dealer and compare it to a similar one to see if they work the same .

If your explanation is correct thet would be able to see that .

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@schtaals wrote:

What do you mean, "if you want the item back"? It's a $725 item, you want to just give it to the buyer?

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@dougsue123b wrote:

With respect to receiving the return of a very costly item, perhaps you can request the mail article be held at the post office ,you then verify security cameras function, and open the parcel in the presence of a USPS employee, should you suspect that you may receive a rock.

Just so you are aware, neither ebay or paypal will accept videos and the post office may prohibit you from recording.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Being you are just starting out before you list an item you should indicate if you acept returns in your listing , I would highly recomend acepting the return just so you dont start out with negative feedback. I always acept returns as long as the returned item is not damaged from its original send. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

You can just video tape opening the the box yourself ! 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

hopefully its insured in case its damaged in the return !
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

the reply was -If you do want the item back, accept the return & issue the prepaid label. You can deny the return but not the refund.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply