cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible return scam? Looking for community advice from those with more experience

Hi Everyone,

Today I received a return request through eBay Buyer Guarantee for an order that was listed by USPS has having been delivered and accepted by a front desk receptionist over 30 days ago. I was sent some photos of an envelope that looked similar to the one I sent (if my memory serves), but with no label showing. 

I declined the request and sent a respectful eBay message to the buyer stating the reasoning why (obviously, if it's been over 30 days anything could have happened to the item outside my control). I also know that USPS will mark a package if it's been opened before they deliver. I encouraged the buyer to file a police report with their local PD and to check with their front desk receptionist and USPS. 

Is there anything here I need to worry about? Was this the correct course of action? I appreciate the advice.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Possible return scam? Looking for community advice from those with more experience

@variableresults wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Today I received a return request through eBay Buyer Guarantee for an order that was listed by USPS has having been delivered and accepted by a front desk receptionist over 30 days ago. I was sent some photos of an envelope that looked similar to the one I sent (if my memory serves), but with no label showing. 

I declined the request and sent a respectful eBay message to the buyer stating the reasoning why (obviously, if it's been over 30 days anything could have happened to the item outside my control). I also know that USPS will mark a package if it's been opened before they deliver. I encouraged the buyer to file a police report with their local PD and to check with their front desk receptionist and USPS. 

Is there anything here I need to worry about? Was this the correct course of action? I appreciate the advice.

Yes, since you denied the return, the buyer can file a chargeback with their financial institution they have approximately 6 months to do that.

If they file an INR,  upload tracking into the case showing delivery.

If they file doesn't recognize the transaction, upload tracking into the case showing delivery.

If they file for NAD, upload documentation showing the item was as described.

The first two you may win, the later thats a tough one. 
I hope your buyer doesn't go that route.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply