cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not answering messages for sales outside of ebay

Not that it makes much difference to me because it affects me little, but just want to make sure I didn't have a stroke or something..... Maybe I need medical attention..... I hate false memories.... last time this happened I confessed to the Lindbergh Kidnapping.....

Does anyone else remember years ago someone (maybe Griff or another blue) telling us - answering a message about sales off ebay could be a sign you are selling off ebay and that we shouldn't answer the message, just ignore the person/message?

For anyone who missed it the bots are catching and taking actions against sellers IF someone contacts you with personal info or anything that can be used for the "porpoise" of selling off ebay AND you cancel the listing because the bots are interpreting that as proof you are selling off ebay. There has been a couple times in the past a buyer has contacted me about an item and I deleted the listing because it was at that moment I notice an error/issue of some kind.

The new policy is you should answer the message and clearly state whatever is applicable (depending on what they send) and do not cancel the listing... I'm not sure what to do if you accidentally drop the item and it breaks or whatever... raise the price to 1,000,000 I guess and let the listing run it's course.

Well whatever the old unwritten instructions were, make sure everyone knows about the new unwritten policy.... these aren't written anywhere... right? other unwritten rules:

1. Don't talk about a no hitter in progress

2. Don't admire a homerun (wow there are a couple posters who do that)

3. Don't call a pass play with a large lead.

4. Always get it in writting (wait .... what?)

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The blue who said that most likely doesn't know that sending a reply opens the seller to continued conversation with the user.  He did say it isn't mandatory to reply....erm..and mention was made that ending early and not relisting are "signs" of off-site sales...but that action that can (ahem) affect account standing is taken only after review by a real live human being

reallivehumanbeing.jpg

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

There is a lot of varying opinion on this depending on who you talk to. I was told by the "special team" that I should reply and let them know that they will be reported for trying to take sales off of ebay.

I told them that is ebay's job, I am not here to teach other users about ebay's rules. The most I am willing to do is to let them know that we will not take sales off of ebay per ebay rules.

Epon is right in that once you respond to someone you cannot block them from further communications

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

epon - you forgot an *ahem*

but that action that can (ahem) affect account standing is taken only after review by a real (ahem) live human being

@ebbyisme

It's a called a Catch-22, That's a right, a Catch-22

(sorry Joseph Heller )

You can't put contact info, (eventhough, there are times when talking before the sale is vital.

BUT NO.. ebay thinks it is an off site sale, need to make frieght arangements, so sorry.

Same for ending a listing after contact by a member.

ie  I had a "special fitting" listed.

A member sends me a message, I have the PN wrong it is not special.

it is not a 100 buck part, just a common 5 buck part.

So I end the listing, to research it.

In ebay's eyes I took it off site.  But I did not, It was a bad listing.

End a listing after a message, with no response to the member.

Well ebay thinks that was an off site issue also.

So I see at least three different ways ebay can slam you for false off ebay, never happened.

For the love of Mike, we all know off ebay, is an invitation to be scammed.

Like buying a car with itunes cards.

I was born in the dark, but not last night.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply