cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will no longer buy graded currency on Ebay

On April 26th, Ebay removed a listing of mine for a CGA graded 1928F $2 note. A NOTE THAT I PURCHASED ON EBAY A FEW MONTHS AGO. They said it violated their Replica coin and currency policy. If it's printed on both sides, which this note is, then it's not a replica. Then I assume they think it's counterfeit. I've bought and sold quite a bit of currency on Ebay and I would bet that this note is 100% REAL. According to Ebay, their determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence. I'm sure that's 100% ACCURATE!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Are they suggesting you get your money back from the original Ebay sale or just not allowing you to resell on the site?

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

. According to Ebay, their determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence

@wds_collectibles 

Interesting to note that eBay informed you of that.  The CEO loves him some AI, even it is inaccurate in most areas they are applying it, with humans not allowed to intervene.  So sorry for your troubles.  Sell it local for CASH. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Oh we are so setting ourselves up for a big fall.  Ebay like other sites are starting to depend way too much on AI to perform certain functions.  AI is only as good as its programming and AI makes mistakes.  However in some situations such as Feedback removal, Ebay is not allowing members to appeal the AI decision.  

Continuing down this path IMHO will simply cause increased problems in all kinds of areas.  In an effort to save money they are throwing customer service out the window and that will come back to bite them in the future.  Whether it is from sellers leaving because of how poorly they are being treated or buyers leaving because Ebay is useless if they need help, it will become a bigger and bigger issue.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Just not allowing me to resell that note on the site.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Have you appealed the decision or are they not allowing it?

On each Ebay page there is a link to contact Customer Service at the top of the page and again at the bottom of the page.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service. Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is. Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message. It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left. If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options. Not all options are available 24/7. It will depend on staffing available. So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't. Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me. If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@wds_collectibles wrote:

Just not allowing me to resell that note on the site.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that and gives me pause when selling notes.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@wds_collectibles wrote:

According to Ebay, their determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence. I'm sure that's 100% ACCURATE!!!!!!!!!

hahahahaha

Tech companies want us to think that there's been some major leap in technology that is called "artificial intelligence". 

It is nothing new, just faster computers trying to make sense of bigger stores of information.  Tech giants have been trying to use software to replace humans since Microsoft gave us that annoying Clippy in the 90's.  It is still wrong.   And it is still annoying.  The only difference is that today we are getting interrupted and annoyed more and more every day.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Currently available AI has an IQ of 50 or less.

It is likely that you triggered it by not adhering to limits on YOUR vocabulary which other sellers have on theirs.

Even if you manage to get the listing reinstated, the bot will take it down again unless you find the trigger and remove it.

So much of what many coin and currency sellers offer is priced so low that the fees on those items as an immeasurable effect on Ebay revenue and profit, so expecting the use of humans is unrealistic.

It is a terrible situation for many types of collectibles when the items which are bought by new collectors are not worth selling. You have to start somewhere, and be able to trade up in order to become an advanced collector.

You would not fare any better on Amazon.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

I'm not sure I have an option, will look into it.....thanks!

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

That may be my best option, may be my only option.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@wds_collectibles wrote:

I'm not sure I have an option, will look into it.....thanks!

We ALWAYS have the option to contact Ebay.  Whether they will do anything or not is a different story.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I bought a case of Jack Daniels lighters on ebay.

Listed them for sale individually.

Ebay took down my listing because Jack Daniels complained to them that the lighters were counterfeit.

Tough break for me.

Life is full of tough breaks.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@wds_collectibles wrote:

On April 26th, Ebay removed a listing of mine for a CGA graded 1928F $2 note. A NOTE THAT I PURCHASED ON EBAY A FEW MONTHS AGO. They said it violated their Replica coin and currency policy. If it's printed on both sides, which this note is, then it's not a replica. Then I assume they think it's counterfeit. I've bought and sold quite a bit of currency on Ebay and I would bet that this note is 100% REAL. According to Ebay, their determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence. I'm sure that's 100% ACCURATE!!!!!!!!!

Is CGA an approved grading company for currency? If the grading company is not "approved by eBay" it will be removed under the coins & currency policy. The verbage is a template, so not everything applies to your item.

C.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@wds_collectibles 

How long ago was it that you purchased this on Ebay?  That could be a factor.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply