cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I track electronically delivered item? (files that I email)

I sell a writing service.  Once and order is paid for and the project is complete I email the file to the buyer.  I though about snail mailing a receipt to obain a tracking number, but it cost $6.50 for the cheapest option at the USPS.  

I am afraid a buyer will reveive what they pay for, and then claim it was never delivered if I don't do this.  

Are their any ways to prove I emailed the file to the buyer in case this happens?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Sending a receipt by mail offers no proof that the item that was paid for was actually delivered; unless, of course, you include a thumb drive or CDROM with that receipt.

There are outrageously overpriced options from UPS, I think, which allow you to send a "secure email" to a recipient and get confirmation of delivery.  You can also send them a private link to a web server with a unique URL, and if you have minimal control of the web server, you can verify the IP address of the host that downloaded the link; that IP can usually (but not always) be narrowed down to at least a zip code.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@soldiersupport wrote:

I sell a writing service.  Once and order is paid for and the project is complete I email the file to the buyer.  I though about snail mailing a receipt to obain a tracking number, but it cost $6.50 for the cheapest option at the USPS.  

I am afraid a buyer will reveive what they pay for, and then claim it was never delivered if I don't do this.  

Are their any ways to prove I emailed the file to the buyer in case this happens?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

First Class Package rates start at $2.61 if you print your label online. That includes tracking.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Two words:  You don't.   More words:  Services are not eligible for tracking unless you provide a physically delivered package -- not e-mail, not letter, not flat.  In addition, you may be violating eBay's policy about digitally delivered "products."  Much depends on the listing category; eBay's requirements are very strict.  (No, I didn't check your category.) Mailing a "receipt" with tracking can lead to a SNAD -- the buyer receives a receipt, not a product.  I suggest you snail-mail an actual manuscript -- invest in paper, a printer and suitable envelopes -- via First Class Mail or Priority Mail. (Media Mail is OK, too, if you want 4th class service.)  A USB drive probably is more expensive.   By the way, I hope your writing services exhibit more accurate spelling and grammar than your query here. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply