cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going above and beyond

EB-18840_Community_SellerEng_eBayForBusinessSocialPosts_April2024_RW14_Combined-Community_UGC-Seller-Quotes_FINAL.jpg

The image was posted by eBay in a forum that does not allow replies.  To me, this is why they don't want feedback.  The quotes in the image, are not going above and beyond, in my opinion.  They say things that I have always done at the minimum.  In other words, these are things that are expected when you sell, not only on eBay, but on any site.

To go above and beyond, I add a little something extra with the order, a gift that is unexpected.  Usually, I try to make it related to the item.  I also try to hand create art for the labels and personalize it.  I can't always be creative, but I always, at least, describe items accurately, respond to questions, and ship the same or next day.   I also pack items for shipping.  In other words, I prepare the package contents for weather and to prevent damage enroute.  I anticipate the box will be left in the rain, or will be dropped or another box will fall on it, or the shipper will throw the box.  I pack accordingly so the item is in the same condition as expected when it arrives.

When I read the posting from eBay, I was hoping to read about what sellers do to stand out from the crowd.  The content of the posting was, well, a joke.  I found the ideas to be common sense and not anything that I would consider gong above and beyond.  Maybe sellers don't want to share their secrets, if that is what they consider their methods of doing extra to be. 

Does anyone want to share what they do for the buyer that goes above and beyond "meets expectations"?  Or maybe you are a buyer who received an item from a seller that went above and beyond.  What was it that made it stand out to you?

Kevin A
Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Going above and beyond

I use real interesting stamps for postage and not a generic dull eBay shipping label for postage.

I hand print write all my packages and envelopes addresses because it looks cool.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

lol, grade school.

I include a chocolate chip cookie with every order.

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies are so good.🍪

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

@lesubjonctif wrote:

The quotes in the image, are not going above and beyond, in my opinion.

I'm also wondering if they're real. I can't seem to locate either seller ID on this site, neither a feedback page nor any items for sale.

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

I didn't even consider that they might be fake,  but yea,  that fits eBay's M.O.

Kevin A
Message 6 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

Is it Amazon? LOL.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I use real interesting stamps for postage and not a generic dull eBay shipping label for postage.

I hand print write all my packages and envelopes addresses because it looks cool.

I managed to acquire four sheets of commemorative forever stamps and have started putting a stamp on a letter (with stamps) to mail. If I use a stamp, I have to hand write the address (and my return address in NY since I don't have cool labels with Chit Chat's warehouse address on it).

I just ordered 2500 business cards today with my eBay store URL and eBay ID on it. There's also a photo of a coin and a stamp on the business card (from my gallery of images I took of stuff I'm listing... took me an hour to clean it up for the business card).

C.

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

@a_c_green 

I'm also wondering if they're real. I can't seem to locate either seller ID on this site, neither a feedback page nor any items for sale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think they were suspended. lol

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

I put in a one-gram size flower of some outstanding Sativa genetics I have developed.

I offer free hand car washes for six months.

I offer free babysitting for pets (no scorpions, spiders, or poisonous snakes) and no kids under the age of 21.

A gift card to Montgomery Wards or Woolworth's.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

@lesubjonctif 

Good post - good topic.  I agree that delivering excellent service should be the norm for selling NOT the exception.  Going above and beyond to me and what I do is refund the shipping overage, I am fine with the shipping end of a transaction being a break-even proposition and profit is then based solely on the item.

I just wish eBay would not have recently made the partial refund process a 4 page multi-step ordeal when previously it was all on ONE PAGE ... but that's a topic for another day.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

@mr_lincoln wrote:

I agree that delivering excellent service should be the norm for selling NOT the exception.

Disregarding whether the quotes (or the authors) are real, I would say that what they're describing are the buyers' expectations. Standard Operating Procedure rather than grand insights, in other words.

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

Judging by some of the sellers who come to these boards I would say that there are plenty of sellers who are barely willing to do the minimum rather than "above and beyond" or even a middling attempt at good customer service.

Before there was eBay or the internet there were plenty of retailers (usually but not always just the clerks) where the minimum or less was the modus operandi.

That said, the vast majority of eBay sellers do make an effort to provide quality service but in retail one idiot can do a lot of damage especially these days when buyers have lots of alternatives.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

@lesubjonctif wrote:

I didn't even consider that they might be fake,  but yea,  that fits eBay's M.O.

What?  If they are "fake" [which IDK if they are], how is that "Ebay's M.O."?  Are you saying that Ebay posts fake stuff?  I'm sorry I don't understand.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 43
latest reply

Going above and beyond

it is online with the way eBay is not straightforward with information when there is a question raised.  They are not straight up lying, but the truth is convoluted.  

Kevin A
Message 15 of 43
latest reply