cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay greed

Ebay is really getting greedy. They charge 12.9% of the selling price but they also include the cost of the shipping . How greedy can you get.  I am going to stop selling on Ebay.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay greed

You are correct of course, but it would seem that sellers are quite often totally ignorant of the costs of selling elsewhere. Booths in antique malls. Tables at flea markets. Etc, etc.

Bottom line, listing something on eBay that you can put on a shelf in your home without paying rent, blah blah for the space the fees are reasonable. 

That is why so many sellers that come here throwing fits are still selling here years later.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Ebay greed

But you still have 5 listings up, 2 of which were added yesterday.   What gives?   Idle threats?

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

FYI eBay  has been charging a FVF on shipping since 2011.  eBay c harged 10& & paypal charged 2.9% +30 cents back then.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

It's 15% in some categories.     It's been this way for years.  This is an industry wide practice.  Here is an example will make you realize that lots of companies do this.  Let's say you buy something on Macy's.com and you use your Mastercard to pay for the item.   The item is shipped to NY where shipping is taxed.   Macy's HAS to pay MASTERCARD a % for the entire total including the sales tax and the shipping fee.    Sure Macy's has to pay more fees but you have to do what Macys (and every other successful company does) and that is to sell items for a prices that will cover ALL of the fees.   You do not see Macy's complaining that they had to pay more fees because a customer paid with their  Mastercard.      So stop complaining and start raising some prices to cover your fees.   There is nothing else that you can do.

Also if you want to quit selling on ebay, it will take exactly 6 months after your last sale was delivered for you to officially be allowed to close your account.   All selling platforms do this too.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

Good bye. Good luck.

You are whining about something that has been done now for years. 

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

@rabbit1949 wrote:

Ebay is really getting greedy. They charge 12.9% of the selling price but they also include the cost of the shipping . How greedy can you get.  I am going to stop selling on Ebay.

You forgot to call out that eBay charges 12.9% on the tax buyer pays.   Incomplete post.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/selling/seller-fees

Posting ID
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

If did not charge on da shipping I could list for $10.00 and charge $1000.00 for shipping and get really cheap fees man.

And this is exactly why it is charged on shipping;  seeeee.............

Best to learn all them fees such as they also charge you for, da tax as well, then some times dat international fee might show up even if shipping to same country.... and so on.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

I knew a guy who was complaining about the eBay fee on a collectible auction that ended at $200.  (Started at $99)

I asked what alternative he had.. pay to have a table at a show.. travel cost, possible hotel and vendor table fee. Then you put this item out on that table for $99. People touch it all day and someone finally offers you $75 and you settle for $85. What did that sale actually cost you?  You may have cleared $50 in the end.

But on eBay, their visibility got you $200 minus 15%.. or $170..  $30 we’ll spent!

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

@rabbit1949 wrote:

I am going to stop selling on Ebay.

Okay. Bye!

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

You are correct of course, but it would seem that sellers are quite often totally ignorant of the costs of selling elsewhere. Booths in antique malls. Tables at flea markets. Etc, etc.

Bottom line, listing something on eBay that you can put on a shelf in your home without paying rent, blah blah for the space the fees are reasonable. 

That is why so many sellers that come here throwing fits are still selling here years later.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

This topic again. Good grief. ALL payment processors charge fees on the total amount. ALL OF THEM.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

It's funny when they come in here (Straight out of a time machine from 10 years ago I imagine)  Complaining about the final value fee on the shipping label. Then you're just waiting for the ball to drop and somebody to tell them about the final value fee being charged on the sale tax.  🤓

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

If one doesn't  have enough birthdays ya' jist might not  know who this is

Gomer Pyle.jpg

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

And another one (maybe) bites the dust.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Ebay greed

Never mind, wrong post I was replying to. LOL

Message 15 of 29
latest reply