cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer ask for free shipping during counter offer?

Hello,

I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I posted an item for sale as a BIN listing. It wasn’t selling so I sent out an offer to the watchers. Someone submitted a counter offer; which I accepted right away. the buyer sent me an email, quite upset saying that the offer was for 21$ AND free shipping. My listing didn’t have free shipping initially; I don’t offer free shipping on any of my items. Just a personal preference. I did message the buyer back and said I apologized but I don’t offer free shipping. I received a message back that was not very nice and that she’s basically expecting me to now send the item with the free shipping. 

What should I do? Do I take the hit on this one because she said she wrote it in the message for the counter offer and I accepted it? If I do the free shipping I’ll lose quite a bit on the sale. It wasn’t a high priced item and the profit was very minimal to begin with if at all; if I cover shipping and handling I’ll lose over 10$. But I don’t want a bad rating?

what should I do in this circumstance? Can I just cancel the order or will that hurt me as well? I’ve never had a buyer request free shipping on this platform especially during a counter offer? 

any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks happy new year!

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@fiddleandfir   Shipping is NOT part of the "offer" system.  While it can be negotiated that's normally done before the sale.  That Buyer is just trying to nickel and dime you.   Cancel the purchase and choose Problem with address then add them to your BBL and ignore any additional messages.  If you want to call eBay and report them you can and explain they were asking for more then what was in the offer flow.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

a buyer can add free shipping to any offer so be careful and read each offer and look over all the details.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

As the buyer paid after you accepted the offer you are now obligated to ship the item. If you cancel the order you will take a defect and open your self up to natural feedback. It would be better to take a slight lose and learn from the mistake.

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

Personally, I would just take the hit and ship the item. You might want to add her to your BBL, later on.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

@fiddleandfir   Shipping is NOT part of the "offer" system.  While it can be negotiated that's normally done before the sale.  That Buyer is just trying to nickel and dime you.   Cancel the purchase and choose Problem with address then add them to your BBL and ignore any additional messages.  If you want to call eBay and report them you can and explain they were asking for more then what was in the offer flow.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 47
latest reply

The buyer hasn’t paid yet, she messaged before paying...so you recommend doing the same thing and taking the loss? 

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

Sorry meant to say....”do you recommend doing the same thing and taking the loss”
Message 7 of 47
latest reply

offers do not affect shipping. If she doesn't pay for the item open a case. you don't have to cancel anything. you're not here to give your stuff away,

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

This happened to me (only) once, and I ate it. I have been mindful of 'comments' in offers ever since. I did not know this was an option... can't the seller be 'tattled on' by the buyer?

@soosin@fiddleandfir ?

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

If you go back and look at her counter-offer can you see where she actually added free shipping to it?  If so, I think you have to honor it or take a defect from eBay, which could damage your ability to sell any more. 

If you don't see anything on the offer that says she wants free shipping, then I'd say no, you can tell her that cannot be a part of the agreement, but be polite about it no matter how rude the buyer is. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 10 of 47
latest reply

@Mtgraves I was wondering the same thing but was hoping that because she hasn’t paid yet, I would be able to cancel without issue. I’m hoping that because it’s not part of the offer system, as @mr_lincolin said, that it won’t hurt me to cancel the order. 

I’m trying to find her counteroffer to see if she put “free shipping” in comments. I don’t remember seeing it but I could’ve missed it.

Does anyone know how to find the original counter offer she submitted? I can’t seem to find it. I have the email I received when I got the offer and it doesn’t say free shipping anywhere; but I don’t think the email includes the comment section...

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Your offer only applies to the item price. Shipping costs and all the other terms specified in the ...

In fact, there is an option when setting up the listing to automatically accept or decline offers set to particular parameters. Any message left has no bearing on the feature... and, so, can ONLY apply to the price, not including shipping.

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Very interesting. And, @fiddleandfir , it's been my experience that the comments in buyers' offers magically disappear after you punch that button. THAT is why I've used such caution! Once burned, lesson learned...

I like the post that dares her to pay for them (unpaid item)... I'd never considered that, but I'd try it!

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

You an find the offers and the details from the original listing page, then going to Purchase History. 

Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 14 of 47
latest reply

I've never had the notes disappear, they have always still been there if I have gone back to look at something. 

Message 15 of 47
latest reply