cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer made offer and I accepted, then they told me to cancel?

I had a buyer make an offer that I accepted. The next day he sent a one word message just saying “cancel”. I responded asking him to verify he no longer wanted the item. He responded with “I didn’t see it didn’t have the tags”. It’s in the first line of my description that it did not have them. My question is, I’m new to selling and not sure what the best course of action is. This seems like something we could have avoided but not sure how to process this? Any suggestions are welcome.

Logan22
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The buyer asked you to cancel, the best course was as soon as you got that message, to simply cancel, using "buyer request". 

No need to verify anything.  People don't always read, they change their mind, the moon is in the wrong phase, their dog barfed in their shoes - doesn't matter.  The easiest course is to simply cancel for them, making sure that you use 'buyer request' so you don't get dinged.  You will get your fees back and can immediately relist.

You obviously were clear in your listing, but somehow he missed it - be glad they let you know instead of going through a tedious returns process.  

This kind of thing happens.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

The buyer asked you to cancel, the best course was as soon as you got that message, to simply cancel, using "buyer request". 

No need to verify anything.  People don't always read, they change their mind, the moon is in the wrong phase, their dog barfed in their shoes - doesn't matter.  The easiest course is to simply cancel for them, making sure that you use 'buyer request' so you don't get dinged.  You will get your fees back and can immediately relist.

You obviously were clear in your listing, but somehow he missed it - be glad they let you know instead of going through a tedious returns process.  

This kind of thing happens.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

"their dog barfed in their shoes - doesn't matter.  "

You made me laugh....good thing I'd already swallowed the mouthful of whiskey!

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Just cancel the order per the buyer's request & move on. The sale wasn't meant to be this time. 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I have never been able to understand why "New with Tags" is so important when buying on eBay.    When you buy something at the store you remove the tags anyway.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

It is frustrating when buyers pull this. Unfortunately, you have no choice but to cancel. He will get his money back one way or another (claim a seller faulted return, eBay refund or worse credit card chargeback), so you have no real choice when a buyer does this but cancel.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Just for future reference:

If the buyer had clicked the cancel transaction button in their purchase history within the first hour after their offer and then you declined to cancel within the following three days, the buyer never has to pay and won't get a strike, see here.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Cancel and move on. Keep listing, keep selling. Don't worry about the small stuff. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

To the buyer's satisfaction, it would be in the best interests of both of you to cancel the order.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Thank you! I appreciate the response, I just wasn't sure how this worked since this is the first time it had happened to me. Good to know that we can just call it off and call it a day. Thanks again, and take care.

Logan22
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

That makes sense, thank you!

Logan22
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Lol agreed, oh well. 

Logan22
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Ok thank you! I appreciate the feedback.

Logan22
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

OK, that is good to know! Thank you!

Logan22
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Thank you! Agreed, we move on and move forward.

Logan22
Message 15 of 20
latest reply