cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo restriction?

My account has been restricted just because I listed a bamboo melamine bento lunch box. How was I supposed to know that I can't list this? Then why are all the stores selling this if this is a restricted product? So now I have a 3 day selling restriction on my account. Great, thanks so much Ebay, you suck.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Bamboo restriction?

I don't understand the penalty. Why doesn't eBay just block the listing, inform the seller of the violation, and move on. While it is ultimately the seller's responsibility to know, I am sure in many cases it's just like this who knew you couldn't list that for international sale?

This is the second post in the last week or so where the actual restriction was shipping outside of US. Why doesn't eBay just make the seller modify the listing and remove international?

Obviously repeat incidents or more serious violations are different. If what the OP says is true, this is hardly worthy of a suspension. Listing takedown and warning should suffice.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Bamboo restriction?

@bluecowthrift 

eBay isn't here to see your post.

There must be a bit of information yet to be divulged.

Was this a brand name box? 
Is Melamine a trademark or copyright?

Did you take your own pictures? write your own description?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

Did you offer overseas shipping? Bamboo melamine is banned in several European countries:  https://www.tuvsud.com/en-us/e-ssentials-newsletter/consumer-products-and-retail-essentials/e-ssenti...

Yes, as a seller you're supposed to be aware of these things.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Did you offer overseas shipping? Bamboo melamine is banned in several European countries:  https://www.tuvsud.com/en-us/e-ssentials-newsletter/consumer-products-and-retail-essentials/e-ssenti...

Thank you for sharing that.  I have no idea what bamboo melamine is, nor did I know it was banned.  Learn something new on here almoat every day!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

@katzrul15 wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Thank you for sharing that.  I have no idea what bamboo melamine is, nor did I know it was banned.  Learn something new on here almoat every day!

You're welcome!

I actually found that out last year, I was wanting to replace my old ratty plates with some new ones and was researching the newer types made with bamboo and wheat straw and that popped up. I went with the wheat straw and the old ones are now doing their duty serving the feral cats 🙂

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

I have got to get out more.....lol

(We still use correlle plates/bowls and fiesta ware.....lol

The wheatstraw is cute in the pastels....it's like I have been living in a cave!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

I agree with Southern Sweet Tea that it was do to you having worldwide shipping. 

Lots of things you cannot ship worldwide.  Some countries have ban on certain types of woods, some countries have ban on certain knives, others have ban on food and vitamins. then you take a company like Nike and you will get a vero takedown if you list them worldwide because  only certain ones are copyrighted in certain countries and never all countries so they nail you for it.

You really need to think if a certain item is worth risking listing worldwide just to try to make an extra dollar on it.  there is so much you cannot list worldwide as time goes on and it seems to be getting worse. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

@dryophelia wrote:

@bluecowthrift 

eBay isn't here to see your post.

There must be a bit of information yet to be divulged.

Was this a brand name box?  Bento is the brand name and it is copyrighted world wide
Is Melamine a trademark or copyright? No melamine is a material - unbreakable like hard plastic

@bluecowthrift  bamboo melamine is restricted in a lot of  countries, so eBay will err on the side of caution which is why your listing was removed.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

I thought 'bento' is a type of box.  Like a box that serves food.  How can it be copyrighted?

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

My concern is if the item I am selling is in stores available to purchase, then am i supposed to look up every item on ebay's policy list before I post? I understand if it is something obvious like ivory or chemicals or what not but it wastes time and I think it's unfair to penalize someone just because they were unaware it was a violation. And the restriction builds up overtime once you get 3 day, the next time is a 7 day restriction. I wish ebay would just block you before posting something that violates their policy.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

Good reason to turn off international shipping again.  Man has eBay tried...It is not worth it.  Run from international buyers.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

Even though many Euro countries have banned Bamboo fibre goods, it wasn't that.

ebay removed 2 kids bamboo fibre dinner sets a friend had listed (USA ship only) because they claimed they'd been recalled.

Not the first time ebay has overreached.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

I don't understand the penalty. Why doesn't eBay just block the listing, inform the seller of the violation, and move on. While it is ultimately the seller's responsibility to know, I am sure in many cases it's just like this who knew you couldn't list that for international sale?

This is the second post in the last week or so where the actual restriction was shipping outside of US. Why doesn't eBay just make the seller modify the listing and remove international?

Obviously repeat incidents or more serious violations are different. If what the OP says is true, this is hardly worthy of a suspension. Listing takedown and warning should suffice.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

Thank you~ Yes, the other times were also the same, I also didn't know I couldn't sell a UV wand sanitizer, a navigation card, a children's swim floatie, etc it's unintentional stuff that I didn't realize I couldn't post that could violate ebay policy so everything builds up to 3 day restrictions to the next time 7 day, it hurts sellers who are trying to make a living. If ebay could develop and maintain something that could highlight certain words/items to be unable to post items like they do velcro, that would help and not hurt sellers in the long run.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Bamboo restriction?

OK, for once, I agree.   Who knew that?  How would we know that?

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply