cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE OF FRAUDULENT MESSAGE...CONGRATS. YOU CAN CLAIM A GIFT.

A MESSAGE has Been Appearing at the Top of My eBay Page that says

"CONGRATS. YOU CAN CLAIM A GIFT." If you make the mistake of following the directions

they give and Answer their SURVEY...which requires your Credit Card Number...you will be SCAMMED and they will Use your Credit Card Information Fraudulently. This has been reported more than once.DSCF0937.JPG

Beware and DO Not RESPOND to that MESSAGE.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

When you are on that webpage, is it a ebay.com page in the address?

Posting ID
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Hi devon@ebay kyle@ebay elizabeth@ebay - can you have this escalated? Google Ads Choice (or whichever service is providing the banner in the OP) is leading to credit card scams according to the OP's report.

To @trbl13 : beware of giving out your credit card info. You can avoid seeing those advertising banners if you install an ad blocker on your browser.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I never click on those they are schemes to get your $$.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I don't know about you all, but I wouldn't put my baby in a metal ceramic anything to warm him/her. 

(wink, wink)

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@trbl13 

Thank you for the valuable head’s up!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I know some people that responded to such offers only to have their card number stolen.   It's a great ruse to get CC numbers.  Beware.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@gwens*4saleitems* wrote:

I don't know about you all, but I wouldn't put my baby in a metal ceramic anything to warm him/her. 

One wrong person listed it in the mugs category and 2 others copied, probably used the sell one like this link.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hi devon@ebay kyle@ebay elizabeth@ebay - can you have this escalated? Google Ads Choice (or whichever service is providing the banner in the OP) is leading to credit card scams according to the OP's report.

To @trbl13 : beware of giving out your credit card info. You can avoid seeing those advertising banners if you install an ad blocker on your browser.

Wow - I'd love to see the code for that page.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@trbl13 wrote:

A MESSAGE has Been Appearing at the Top of My eBay Page that says

"CONGRATS. YOU CAN CLAIM A GIFT." If you make the mistake of following the directions

they give and Answer their SURVEY...which requires your Credit Card Number...

@trbl13 : Just curious: what excuse did they give for wanting your CC number in order to claim a "gift"?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Probably some nonsense about needing it for 'processing fees' or something.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I can't understand why in the world anyone would give out their credit card # to some random website offering a "free gift"

I don't think the average person is that gullible but I guess if they post enough of those ads and get 1/1000 hooked they can steal enough money to make it worthwhile

People need to remember it's a jungle out there and inevitably it's the slow animals that get eaten first

BEWARE, indeed

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

That little blue triangle on the right edge of the screen shot is associated with AdChoices, but usually says AdChoices to the left of it.  This may mean nothing ( I doubt it)...regardless, the banner is not a valid entry on the page.  The page's code would be interesting.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I can see where this scam could capture a few people trusting that it was a legit ad on Ebay.  Scary stuff.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hey @wastingtime101! We will be sure to have this sent over to the correct team and thank you for letting us know!  

Devon,
eBay
Message 15 of 16
latest reply