cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auctions always ruined by non-payers: 2018 Panini Trae Young Fast Break Prizm Auto

I'm in trouble with selling one of my NBA cards in ebay auction. When I try to sell 2018 Panini Prizm Trae Young Fast Break Prizm Autographed card in ebay, non-pay scammers always ruin my auction. The accounts are located in Philippine. How many time I add these accounts to block list, another account will bit unreasonable price to be winner and no pay, again and again. I occasionally see other sellers of same card encountered same situation.

Do you have same experience and have any ideas why this card is always being targeted not other cards??

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Auctions always ruined by non-payers: 2018 Panini Trae Young Fast Break Prizm Auto

@hozh012_93 

The way you stop this behavior is to stop running auctions and list all your items at a fixed buy it now price, immediate payment required and NO best offers.  You will get more serious buyers & less headaches.  You know what your items are worth, list them to you specifications & the price you want.  I stopped selling auction style years ago due to what you are experiencing.  Now when I have a sale, I always get paid.  You are here to make money, not chase it.  Sorry for your frustration.

Happy Selling

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

You could also set up your buyer preferences to STOP allowing bidders with X unpaid auctions in the past 3/6/12 months to even bid on your auctions, it would help further if when they don't pay you allow the unpaid item process to go through (rather than cancelling) as this will give the sport bidder a strike.

Of course they can just create a new account...
But it's still a measure I have implemented because I don't want sports bidders on my auctions, however only I can stop this from happening and if I do not avail myself of the tools provided by ebay then these individuals can continue to bother me with impunity.

As well, are you willing to even ship overseas?
If no, simply change your shipping preferences to reflect that, ConUS and Alaska / Hawaii / Puerto Rico ONLY.

I forget what else you can do, but that would be a good start.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@hozh012_93 

The way you stop this behavior is to stop running auctions and list all your items at a fixed buy it now price, immediate payment required and NO best offers.  You will get more serious buyers & less headaches.  You know what your items are worth, list them to you specifications & the price you want.  I stopped selling auction style years ago due to what you are experiencing.  Now when I have a sale, I always get paid.  You are here to make money, not chase it.  Sorry for your frustration.

What? This is still an auction site - They still do auctions here - Maybe the &^%&^ people who run this place should do something about this and every other &*(&(^&*^* thing on this site that's broke or needs fixing...

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 

Auctions are the reason many sellers are not getting paid time after time.  People listing auctions style are more likely not to be paid due to sport bidders and non paying bidders who do this for the fun of it.  They are not serious buyers and the only way to run these types off is do not use the auction style listings.  Myself and others suggest it and it tends to work out.  Most of us don't have time to cater to these childish antics and as you know eBay gives you the tools to work around this behavior by what I just posted.  This is one of them.

Happy Selling

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Sellers can set up their listings so as not to entertain purchases from buyers who have 2 UPI cases in TWELVE months.  It's not a variation of times.  This can be done after cancelling a transaction using as the reason "buyer did not pay".  You message is a little confusing, because cancelling is exactly what the seller should do if a buyer has not paid in 96 hours.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@hozh012_93 wrote:

Do you have same experience and have any ideas why this card is always being targeted not other cards??

I have no idea why some items attract mischief and others do not.

But you should now have a pretty good idea what the going rate is. If so, you could simply list at fixed price with immediate payment required.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

What? This is still an auction site

But it is also a fixed price site. About 80%, if I recall correctly.

Maybe the people who run this place should do something about this

They are. They have been piloting a program here buyers must give a payment source when making offers, which is a step toward making people give a payment source when making bids.

But it has been piloted for a while now, and eBay seems reluctant to make it universal. That leads me to believe that either (a) it is still not ready, or (b) it is not being embraced by the buying public. My guess is the latter.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Maybe the people who run this place should do something about this

They are. They have been piloting a program here buyers must give a payment source when making offers, which is a step toward making people give a payment source when making bids.

But it has been piloted for a while now, and eBay seems reluctant to make it universal. That leads me to believe that either (a) it is still not ready, or (b) it is not being embraced by the buying public. My guess is the latter.

That is not "do(ing) something about this".

All one of these so called "sport-bidders" would need to do is cancel a sale afterwards - The result would be EXACTLY the same - Non-paying bidder.

These are not sport bidders - There is something more hostile and malevolent going on - The scope and ubiquitousness of the problem dictates that.

The only way to fix this problem is to start truly vetting and banning suspicious users before they can create accounts - With the amount of data available, it shouldn't be a hard task - but as many are well aware, based on the sites need for users, especially buyers(any buyers in my opinion, regardless of quality) I guess we should just expect the problem to continue and worsen, kinda like every other problem here, in my opinion...

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I have been having the same exact problem with a 2018 Trae Young patch auto.  In the last hour of bidding two buyers from Philippines bid up the card, then don’t pay.  This seems to be happening on all Trae Young 2018 auto cards.  Have not figured any way around it yet.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Fixed price with immediate payment required would fix the problem.

Have a great day.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Sellers can set up their listings so as not to entertain purchases from buyers who have 2 UPI cases in TWELVE months.  It's not a variation of times.  This can be done after cancelling a transaction using as the reason "buyer did not pay".  You message is a little confusing, because cancelling is exactly what the seller should do if a buyer has not paid in 96 hours.  

Yeah I don't peruse the specifications and preferences every day so I get rusty but thanks for correcting that.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Sadly ebay has no courage at all, I participate in a few other auction sites and how they do things:

First I have to get "authorized" to bid and I do so by submitting credit card information, which they hold and that card will get charged for the winning bid. And once I bid it can not be retracted, I can lower my bid but only to the smallest amount over top of the previous winning bid (so if the item was winning at $20 and I bid $500, then I am winning at $22 and the system will auto-raise my bid as others bid but... I realize that's too much and I get bidder's fright so... I can lower it to... $22) and if I get buyer's remorse I have to hope someone else outbids me because at $22 I am bound by the policies to pay for my item if I win.

Once a bid of mine wins, the auction house charges their 15% fee plus sales tax (this all adds 20% to the price of the item) and that goes direct on my credit card soon after the winning bid has been decided to be mine.

No going back, if I renege on the payment somehow or if I file a chargeback they will ban me from their auctions. Also I am responsible to pick up the item(s) won, if I fail to pick them up they become the property of the auction house and they can resell those items, also pick up time is only a day or two and usually between 9a to 4p or so. Fail to pick up more than two or three times and they also ban me.

They don't play games, and some might think there wouldn't be buyers but that is not true, in fact I often encounter fierce bidding competition on most items I bid on, in fact I don't win much at all.

That is what should happen here.

But ebay?
LOL!

I don't know why they're so scared.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Maybe second chance offer your 2nd highest winning bidder.

Of course those usually don't go over well because ebay has the second chance at the MAX that bidder bid... And that doesn't sit well with most bidders because they figure if the non-payers had not shown they would've won the item far below their MAX bid.

But it might be worth a shot.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply