cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted offer, but buyer wants more tests before paying.

I accepted an offer from a buyer. I've sent him some verifications and test on the item. He makes an offer and I accept it. Now he's saying that he doesn't plan on paying until I do more tests for him. I've made several sales at this point, but this one listing I've been having issues with from several buyers.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You could ride out the 4 days and cancel on day 5 for non payment and block the buyer. They should have asked all their questions before making the offer, not after. 

You might also look at what the questions that have been asked, esp if they have a common thread and make sure that info in the listing. Also, if you have received several offers from different sellers, average out that amount and list at that price without the make offer. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

which item is it?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

are the verifications and test results paper documents that can be tied to the item (serial number / model/ part number)?

If so, you should have posted photos of them in the listing for potential buyers to see. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Could be that the buyer knows more about how this unit fails than you do.

Could be that this buyer is a PITA and will continue to be one after the item has shipped.

Could be you should wait and cancel for non-payment.

Could be that you will get negative FB if you cancel.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Was it related to this item? https://www.ebay.com/itm/166751889721

That's the only one I can see in your sold items that you accepted an offer on, but I don't fully trust eBay's results.

If it was, what kind of testing did he ask for and was it reasonable?  If the buyer is being reasonable and the sale is worth it, I'll play along, but if they're still making demands after they commit to buy, I'd just stop responding, cancel for non-payment when possible, and block.  Customers that hassle you before a sale are more likely to hassle you after, but sometimes it's perfectly legitimate (we get customers asking for photos we didn't think to take or just plain forgot to take often enough that I don't worry about those).

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

All buyer’s questions should be asked prior to offer acceptance. Now that they have committed to buy, the buyer’s actions could be considered a violation of eBay policy. The Abusive Buyer policy states a buyer cannot insist on receiving something not included in, or promised in the listing. See link below:

What should I do if I think a buyer is making an unreasonable demand?

You're not required to agree to any extras or changes from the terms of your listing. If a buyer is making demands that are not a part of your original listing, you will be protected from negative feedback and defects when you either deliver the item purchased by the buyer according to the original terms of your listing, or cancel the transaction.

To help us identify buyers who are engaging in unacceptable buying behaviors, please
report the abusive behavior - opens in new window or tab.

We encourage you to communicate politely and professionally with the buyer.”

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/abusive-buyer-policy?id=4374#:~:text=If%20a....

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

This has an INAD kind of feel to it. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

In my last response, i didn’t mention that if a seller does feel compelled to report a buyer, it usually is best to do so quietly, without informing the buyer or the community at large (seen some sellers trumpet it in feedback.) My purpose as a seller is to treat my buyers with dignity, even if they are becoming a pain (which rarely happens). 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply