cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake gemstones. Posing as Painite, Alexandrite, Ruby etc.

I really want ebay to investigate sellers of fake gemstones.   --Both rough and faceted stones, most being sourced from India.    I cut and collect minerals and gemstones, I know that these are not authentic.      These sellers should be held accountable.

No one at ebay seems to care that people are getting ripped off.   

If they don't, I will buy a couple of these stones, have the GIA test them, then 'out' every dealer online who is selling fakes.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

ebay says thet counterfeits are prohibited on ebay so it must be a perception problem

I am usure what outing Indian sellers is going to do since most ebay users would just avoid India all together if you mention gemstones

its like fake  watches and Ukraine..............ebay does  not care about put toegethers.......they just pretend to

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

I agree wholeheartedly with you. From what I’ve researched about Painite, which is the rarest gem on the planet, only a very few pieces of rough have been taken out of Myanmar (and they aren’t  being mind and the rough that has somehow made it into the United States is quite  small), and only two stones have been successfully cut and faceted to a high quality, and other stones have been cut with plenty of inclusions, and are generally very small because of the inclusions, and due to the instability of the interior of the rough and having to cut around the inclusions that take up the majority of any part of the rough that might be gemstone worthy.

Yet, eBay permits all of these evil, lying sellers who are intentionally peddling large red stones, proclaiming that they are Painite,  the most rare stone on the planet. That’s impossible. And the assertions of the sellers are simply out-and-out premeditated and intentional lies, and they know it.  Myanmar is a country in turmoil and they’re not exporting anything, whether it is rubies or Painite, or any other commodities of value.  

These dishonest, evil sellers here on eBay have no morals and no  conscience, nor moral compasses, because they are cheating honest eBay-ers who want to purchase REAL Painite,   And these innocent buyers are spending a great deal of money trying to purchase the rarest stone on the earth. They are being cheated, of course. Professional gemological associations can’t even get their hands on Painite. So, these evil, fraudulent sellers are intentionally selling fakes.

This is so evil, immoral, and egregious that eBay MUST step in.  

$29.99 for a very large stone that is supposed to be the most rare stone in the world? I don’t think so.  No such Painite stones have EVER even existed.

Does eBay check these commentaries to decide what to do with intentionally dishonest eBay sellers? There are so many here on eBay, and the fakes on this site would total about 10,000 or maybe 10,000,000 times more the amount of Painite that has actually been pulled out of the ground (depending on how many fake stones that they have made  for future listings to continue the fraud to continue to intentionally listing these fakes).  

eBay only has to do the simple math. It’s impossible to have that much Painite on eBay, when the TOTAL amount of Painite amounts  ever found in rough form and cut into gemstones is so small, that it would barely make up a small fraction of 1% of what is being listed and sold here on eBay. That, in and of itself, should prove to eBay that the sellers are evil, frauds, and they are intentionally selling fakes to naïve purchasers.

eBay, regulate your own site, and get rid of the evil frauds.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

I agree lot of sellers are selling fake stones. Buyers needs to check the price they are paying and stones they are expecting. Only this can stop sellers from selling fakes. 

One more thing buyer must check the Authenticity of certificates while buying gemstones. They must ask for certificate of only international Reputed gemstone testing labs.  

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

eBay has no way to investigate or evaluate sellers of ANYTHING.  And, in order to do so, wouldn't they have to hire experts in that field? eBay offers the Money Back Guarantee to buyers if what the buyer receives is not as described.

Feel free to proceed with your plans but it's probably a fool's errand.  Not sure how you plan to "out" every dealer who is selling fakes, but you are no doubt aware that any eBay seller can just get another ID and resume his selling career.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I bought a few of those gems and was angry too, but after researching and doing everything I could to find out whether or not my Painite was real, I actually found that it’s likely that these gems are the real thing. Here’s what I figured out: 

all of the gems these people from India are selling are DEFINITELY minerals, NOT glass. They don’t scratch like glass does, and that being said and since they’re higher on the Mohs scale, they HAVE to be corundum, beryl, etc., which means they aren’t fake unless they’re some other kind of stone made to look like it. But you can’t copy an alexandrite and find another color changing gem, it can’t be done, so unless there is some other means of making a fake that I don’t know of, they must be real.  From what I know, the equipment needed to make a synthetic gem is very expensive too, and regardless a synthetic diamond retains its value because it IS in fact a diamond. So, they’re real stones, and it doesn’t really make since that they would have expensive equipment to make a real gem and sell it at such a low price. It seems more likely that those kind of gems are more common in India and Myanmar, and they just happen to be worth more in dollars because they’re rare here. I know it doesn’t make sense that Painite would be that cheap, but like I said, they’re minerals without a doubt, and I don’t know of any fakes that aren’t glass, so how can they be fake?

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Zombie topic: old,  necro,

please start a new topic for aid.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

I've been "outing" certain sellers for this practice. I see tons of listings for "tourmaline" jewelry that are absolutely fake; I've even bought several of those items, returned them, and left negative feedback and/or called eBay to report the sellers. Unfortunately eBay doesn't seem to care, and I'm guessing it's because these sellers make up a big part of eBay's revenue. There are hundreds of sellers like this, and they also use duplicate listings, including duplicates of items listed by other sellers. I suspect that many of these seller accounts actually belong to the same people or people who work together. They are violating multiple eBay policies and yet for all my efforts to "out" them, many have been able to get my negative feedback removed somehow.

One seller shipped false "tourmaline" earrings from New Jersey and offered returns, but they required buyers to return their items to India. Their scam is to sell items for a few dollars more than it costs to ship something from the US to India. Once the buyer figures out the item is fake and decides to return it, they find out that returning the item will basically cancel out the refund. If you message the seller about that, they then offer you a $15 partial refund. Most people probably accept that offer because it's better than returning the item. As soon as I showed the seller proof that they shipped the item from New Jersey and not India, and that I was alerting eBay to the scam, they immediately apologized and gave me a full refund. I reported the seller to eBay, but I couldn't leave feedback because they refunded me first. 

I've also had another seller with 0 transactions steal all of the pictures from one of my listings along with my description. My item was pure gold. They used my images and description to create an identical listing with gold-fill, not solid gold. It damaged my auction and confused buyers, and nothing happened when I called eBay to report it and ask them to take the listing down - they said they couldn't do that. In order to get it offline, I had to buy their item (most likely they intended to fabricate something similar in design) and wait for my money to be refunded. Because I purchased it, I was able to leave feedback. My feedback said they had stolen my content and created a bogus listing that they refused to take down and that I had bought the item to get it offline. They begged me to remove the feedback with multiple harassing messages every day for about a week. Then they got eBay to remove the negative feedback, which was extremely frustrating. Why? You can't leave feedback about anything unrelated to the actual item you purchased. Seriously. Even though the actual item I purchased was bogus, my feedback got taken down and they got a clean slate. 

I honestly think the reason eBay doesn't seem to care is because they don't; there are tons of sellers that sell fakes and they make a lot of money, which means eBay rakes in a ton of fees from them. 

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I agree, but the huge amount of fakes that are out there hurt those of us who are selling the real deal. If I start an auction for my genuine pink tourmalines at .99 cents, buyers may be suspicious. Yes, low Buy It Now prices are a red flag and a dead giveaway when we're talking about real prescious stones. But what if a seller wants to price jewelry items to sell quickly at a discounted price? I've bought genuine gold items for far less than what they're worth. That's why so many sellers also buy and re-sell. 

When it comes to authenticity certificates, you're right when it comes to extremely rare stones. Tons of sellers offer worthless certificates from non-reputable, non-international gemstone labs. So many buyers fall for that simply because it says the item is certified. However I don't have authenticity certificates for my used fine jewelry. I know what the stones are because I purchased them new, but other than using the Moh's scale to narrow it down by hardness, how can you test and identify stones for sure without sending them to a lab? 

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Amen Brothers and Sisters.  I am a Graduate Gemologist that has recently retired and started selling on eBay in earnest.  I started flagging obvious misrepresented stone listings to eBay by the dozens.  Crickets.

As horrible a business practice as it is, I think eBay is fine with allowing items misrepresented, betting that the buyer won't get the purchase identified and returned to eBay for the guarantee.  The ones they do pay out on is just a cost of doing business, knowing they are making more money on letting the fraudsters sell.

The trouble is, they are killing the category as they do this.  And I don't buy the argument that eBay can't do anything.  You mean with all of their staffing, they can't hire one gemologist or jewelry expert to help police the category and suspend suspicious listings?  That would be a much more honorable cost of doing business.  Of course, they can't ID stones virtually.  But a gemologist like myself can tell the difference between a natural alexandrite and a flame fusion synthetic alexandrite-like sapphire by the photos...and by the fact that a 20 carat "natural alexandrite" is being offered for like ten bux.  It's ridiculous.  If they just suspended the listing and told the seller that they have concerns about authenticity it would at least put a burden on the seller to defend their claim that is it genuine.

It reminds me of a story I heard from an executive of a Fortune 500 company.  He was visiting a manufacturing facility in India and realized that the facility was fudging the quality test results.  Panicked, he phoned the president of the company telling them of the problem...they didn't even know how to properly test the products, let alone be sure they met standards.  The president told him to "keep the line producing, and we'll deal with the problem on the returns end".  It was a disaster, and pretty soon the company was no longer a Fortune 500 company.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Most of this post is not true.  For instance, on an alexandrite, there are simulated alexandrites like you find in class rings and inexpensive mother's rings that are synthetic alexandrite-like sapphires that exhibit a slight color change.  They are not glass.  They are 9 on Moh's hardness scale; actually harder than a real alexandrite.  And they are produced for pennies per carat.  Then there are synthetic or lab-created alexandrite.  These gems are chemically, optically, and physically alexandrite with a wonderful color change effect...but they are created in a lab, not found and mined.  Neither should be represented as natural alexandrite.  This is just one example out of dozens where a gemstone does not have to be either "glass" or "mineral". 

One of the lessons we are taught as gemologists is that as soon as the first gemstones were found, people started imitating them.  Experts find ways to identify fakes, then people come up with better fakes.  It is a constant battle of keeping up with the imitators.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I have bought countless jewelry products from eBay not a single one was real but I have at least 1000 certifications recently eBay sent me a email with no way to reply contest or explain anything to them because I buy the gems to return them to cost them money since when I first started making jewelry I spent what around a thousand dollars over six months to build up a inventory of jewelry I made buying the gems from them I didn't know the actual values went to what I thought was attractive and within pricing not even knowing what most the gems were supposed to be I had a stroke needed money took the gems to a jeweler I met and every stone was fake. I was on a limited income investing to become a jeweler something I have turned out good at. I every month spend about $100 on gems or silver jewelry on eBay test take pictures and return them most just give refunds then I got a email from eBay that I violated Thier return rules but wouldn't explain what I did and every time I return something they give a automatic message saying it will be reviewed by eBay because of my past violation that they still have given me no information on and I can't get ahold of a person ever to go over these issues just flat out don't buy even cheap common gemstones like quartz from eBay your likely to be ripped off and they don't have a place you can report a fraudulent seller or explain how it is not possible what they are advertising and if was real anyone could buy 100 gems on eBay a be worth at least $25,000,000 in a day or two

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Hello brother l introduce my self lm Sam  lm victime of this guys l was buy lot of gemstone it was false but l had made a new expertise with AGL laboratory in New York City is everything false  l will send to you the evidence  soon 

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Hello guys the evidence  l try to send to you the pictures is not coming image.jpg

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Hi guys l try more times 

Message 15 of 29
latest reply