cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bead Testing with Simichrome results

I have a strand of vintage prayer beads….they are a dark orange red.  I tested them with simichrome and the residue on the Qtip was dark orange red (basically the color of the beads).  Does anyone know the material?  I thought maybe Cinnabar?

75DB0652-1BB2-46AB-A809-9AB0FA2775E3.jpeg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@msmoderne 

If it left this residue and you used Simichrome it's probably Bakelite!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I thought it was Bakelite too.  I actually sold it and the person insisted it was not because the residue was not yellow.  They returned it!  (I even disclosed in my listing the residue was red instead of gold….he probably did not read the listing).

So Im stumped!  I think it’s Bakelite too still, but I’ve been wrong!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@msmoderne 

Here's a little tidbit, not alot of folks know about the use of Simichrome to test for bakelite,  jewelry, antique peeps do,  so with that said relist it " if it sold once it will sell again" ( courtesy of my pal @mtgraves7984 )

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you!  I try to be transparent with my descriptions….a part of me thinks the person just decided they did not want it!  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@msmoderne 

Your probably right, here's a disclaimer that you may want to include in descriptions as a fun fact.

Screenshot_20230418-094552_Google~2.jpg

keep in mind that darker colors of bakelite may react differently that's why you have a bit of redness showing.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have tested bakelite and my results are in the yellows range.

Another test I have read about. If you can smell bakelite is to put the piece in a tightly closed ziploc (with air removed.) Submerge the zippy in warm not hot water for a few minutes. Pull it out and open the zippy close to your nose. Bakelite will have a chemical smell. If this is Amber it will have a woodsy smell.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply