cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown 1996 Pottery Designer

I can not identify the designer of the 19"x13" oval platter shown in pics. Does anyone have any suggestions? All help is appreciated.

20240507_131655.jpg

20240507_131440.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

To me it looks like something somebody painted at one of those paint-your-own-pottery places.

Everything from the brush strokes to the signature to the execution of the plaid are indicators this is an amateur paint job.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Could be amateur but these plaid designs with wavy lines were popular in the 50's.  Although the signature seems to read L '96 or maybe it's L H. 

Rita 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Yeah, to me it's too far removed from the mid century pieces in terms of paint quality. It's not that the lines are wavy or painted by hand; it's that they're messy and inconsistent.

Here's a piece from the 50s with wavy lines, but see how clean and consistent the brush strokes are?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144954224953

Another from the 50s with clean and consistent wavy lines:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1135148000/purinton-normandy-plaid-slip-ware-2?show_sold_out_detail=1&r...

To me the mark is clear: L '96

I believe it's a mass-produced plate with a homemade paint job, painted in 1996, not hand painted at a factory. Also, look how gigantic the signature is - that's not something I've seen on factory items. I've seen large signatures, but not gigantic like that on a serving platter.

I could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident on this one. 🙂

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply