cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to identify maker of this little art pottery vase marked CORONET, Thanks!

I was hoping someone much better versed than I at identifying where this little vase comes from?  Pretty intricate makers mark that makes no sense at all to me, maybe from the Czech Rebublic???  Can't make out anything more than Coronet and a Pope's or Bishop's hat with surrounding laurel leaves?  Any help would be greately appreciated.  Thank's fellow eBayers!!!!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Need help to identify maker of this little art pottery vase marked CORONET, Thanks!

It does say Czechoslovakia Registered. Here is what I found: http://www.bihl.nl/BIHL_backstamps.htm
Janet

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It does say Czechoslovakia Registered. Here is what I found: http://www.bihl.nl/BIHL_backstamps.htm
Janet
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

There was a smaller obscure importer by the name of Coronet, mainly known (in the collectible world) for anthropomorphic items made in Japan after World War 2. I do not know if this is the same company but it would not surprise me if it was because as an importer they also likely imported things from Czechoslovakia and other countries (as many importers did import from countries other than Japan). Being a smaller importer info about them is hard to come by, they are relatively obscure. There were/are a large number of similar small obscure "Made in Japan" importers... Also looks like Coronet imported cigarette lighters from Japan (judging solely by current ebay listings).

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Perfect and THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!  You totally nailed it, my best to your for your help!!!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you very much for your help!  The person above you found the exact makers mark and was from the Czech Republic.  My best to you for your help and I may someday come across the CORONET from Japan you mentioned.  I truly appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@silversmithsupply wrote:

Thank you very much for your help!  The person above you found the exact makers mark and was from the Czech Republic. 

The Czech Republic did not come into existence as an independent nation until 1993. As Janet notes, your mark says "Czechoslovakia Registered." It may seem pedantic to point out the difference, but it does help with the dating. A vase with a mark from the Czech Republic could have been made yesterday, but a vase made in Czechoslovakia must be older than 1993.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You're not being pedantic at all.  It matters, because it helps with dating. 

It especially helps if this country's name is actually on the piece.  I forget the details and the dates, but whether the country's name is written as "Czecho-Slovakia" or "Czechoslovakia" also helps with dating.  The hyphen was used for a couple of years just after the First World War and for a couple of years just before the Second World War (and, maybe, during a third period).   Every little tidbit to help in dating is good.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Decided to sell the vase.  Thanks for the help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202618157501

Message 8 of 8
latest reply