cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Report a Member's Threatening Language - Not Related to an Active Listing

Strange problem: Several days ago, I posted a semi-precious mineral for sale on eBay with an accurate description. Almost immediately, I began receiving a series of frightening, threatening, vulgar emails from an eBay member who I discovered has competitive listings. I decided to withdraw my mineral and post it on another website-- a quieter one. However, because of that delisting, eBay will not allow me to e-file a policy violation complaint against that member [no active item number]. Yet the attacking emails continue. I would like to continue listing on eBay, but how can I report this member's abusive conduct?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

How to Report a Member's Threatening Language - Not Related to an Active Listing

@sunsco_28 

Sorry to hear about your situation. Here are some things you can try.

You can send an email message to eBay. Not sure how often email is working. It is hit and miss due to COVID-19. I just used it and got a reply and solution to a problem I found here on eBay. I was shocked. 

Here is the link: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/contacting-ebay-customer-service/contacting-ebay-customer-service?... 

The email option is at the bottom of the link. 

Or you can reach out to customer service using social media: 

eBay on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ebayforbusiness

eBay on Twitter 

Social media also worked for me on another issue a few months back. Got an answer and resolution to my issue fairly quickly.  It wouldn't hurt to leave a contact number.   The CSR ended up calling me. 

Hope this helps!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@sunsco_28 

Sorry to hear about your situation. Here are some things you can try.

You can send an email message to eBay. Not sure how often email is working. It is hit and miss due to COVID-19. I just used it and got a reply and solution to a problem I found here on eBay. I was shocked. 

Here is the link: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/contacting-ebay-customer-service/contacting-ebay-customer-service?... 

The email option is at the bottom of the link. 

Or you can reach out to customer service using social media: 

eBay on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ebayforbusiness

eBay on Twitter 

Social media also worked for me on another issue a few months back. Got an answer and resolution to my issue fairly quickly.  It wouldn't hurt to leave a contact number.   The CSR ended up calling me. 

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I cannot say that this willl work for you, because police departments vary greatly throughout the country, but in a similar situation I called the local PD.

I said it was not an emergency and I didn't really expect an investigation but I was disturbed and would like to know how to proceed.  An officer took a few notes, reminded me to keep every email, then opened a file and gave me a case number.

If you can do that, and include the information -- name of PD, name of officer, case number -- in whatever contact you can make with eBay, you will find that it adds a fair amount of clout. 

Good luck and sorry this happened to you.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

c*me*4*lefton*info
Trailblazer

I would re-iterate what maxine says as it is most definitely accurate. Ebay may likely ignore a user's and/or competitor's complaint - but they will not ignore things as much as when unbiased law enforcement is involved.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You can block any eBay member from sending you "My eBay" messages. (Of course, this will not work if they've got hold of your personal email address).

(i) Add them to your Blocked Bidder List:

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin

(ii) Go to Buyer Requirements and tick the box alongside "Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me":

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences 

Never, ever reply to inappropriate emails - it only encourages the sender. Silence is the most effective response.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you, c*me*4*lefton*info

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@argon38 

Just FYI, blocking a member from communicating in the fashion you described works only if s/he tries to message through an item listing. The member will still be able to message through the links provided on the seller's profile page and/or their feedback page.

eBay has intentionally designed it this way so all members can communicate with other members.

There is no way to completely block a member from sending eBay messages.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

Just FYI, blocking a member from communicating in the fashion you described works only if s/he tries to message through an item listing. The member will still be able to message through the links provided on the seller's profile page and/or their feedback page.

Yes, sorry, you are absolutely right. I thought the option blocked all contact, but it doesn't.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@argon38 

You'd think, wouldn't you? I don't agree with it, but there it is . . .

Message 9 of 9
latest reply