cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello! Need help identifying a bust, value for it and the pedestal for it would also be appreciated!

I would like to sell this bust and pedestal but I have no idea who this is or what it might be worth. Any help with either is greatly appreciated! I'm not sure what the bust is made of, though my best guess is plaster with some kind of coating that's supposed to look a bit like copper (it feels like some kind of plastic or polymer). I'm decently sure the pedestal is made of polished marble, the inside and bottom are unpolished and leaves a white dust sometimes. The pedestal had a sticker that claimed it was made in Spain, and I couldn't find any markings otherwise. It was left to my family from a deceased relative, and we didn't know he had this until we went through his things.  Google Lens claims the bust is the Marathon boy but I don't think they resemble him that much. That's all I can think of for now. Thank you!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hello! Need help identifying a bust, value for it and the pedestal for it would also be appreciated!

I had linked more photos but it got removed from my original post somehow, so here are some more:

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Looks like Hermes to me.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I agree.

Rita

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The stand may be similar to this one, which breaks down into 7 pieces:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-alabaster-empire-style-carved-4688141623

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Can't help with value or what it is, but looking at the size, would suggest local pickup. Could get costly to ship and might take several boxes. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you guys, I did some more research after posting this and Google Lens gave me a different result when I searched this time, it mentioned Hermes as well. I think I agree as well, and it's nice to have a few people that agree. Hermes does usually seem to be depicted with the "strong" forehead and curly hair. It seems like he often has a pointier nose and more defined cheeks, but I'm thinking that maybe it is just a different depiction or it was modeled after a weathered version. Either way, thank you both.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for both of these comments! Interesting that it may be made of durastone, I'd never heard of that before, and it looks remarkably like plaster (there's a little bit of damage to it so I can see under the coating). And it does look like the Austin one you linked, so that could be it, I'll have to look more into that. And the pedestal does look a lot like the one I have here, and I think it is alabaster as well (also didn't know that until now!), and the one you linked is also from Spain and has similar dimensions. And it also breaks down into 7 pieces! Wow, haha. I have no idea if mine is vintage though.

Thank you so much!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yeah, I thought the same, I'm also worried about things getting crushed and I wouldn't know how to ship something this heavy, it would likely bend the cardboard of any box I send it in.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply