cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethics (allowing) listing copies at auctions

What is your opinion on any online auction allowing listing reproductions, copies, and replicas of original works and collectables to be auctioned off?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

My 2 Cents.

I think it depends if the "Replica" is sanctioned or not. (authorized by Artist or who owns the original) If it is a unauthorized "Replica" than i think it would be considered a "Fake". That being said i think it has to do with the item and how old it is. There are many "Replicas" of the Declaration of Independence and items from the past as well. What item are you specifically speaking about?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

As long as the item is not misrepresented as an original, and is attributed correctly, there is no reason why it couldn't be listed.   Unfortunately, unknowing buyers may be deceived by sellers who either knowlingly or for lack of knowledge about the item's origins, claim the item to be "an original" of whatever.  

Rita

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

My suggestion is that you educate yourself so that that you can make the proper decision to buy or pass on any item you encounter on ebay.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

There are replicas/reproductions which Ebay does not permit, like coins.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

This message is addressed to all of those who responded that it's okay to list counterfeits, copies etc on eBay as long as the seller identifies them as such, you are wrong.

eBay expressly forbids the listing of such items.  

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

eBay's rules specifically forbid the listing of counterfeits, fakes and replicas.  The age of the item has no bearing on this rule. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Someone have accidentally bid on what appeared to be a xerox copy of a Chinese banknote from 1980 which was not marked as COPY on its image yet the description mentioned that it's a copy. Usually such a reproduction, replica or a copy would not attract more than $5 in bids, but apparently most bidders must have not read the description and bid just looking at the photo, which wasn't marked as COPY. Otherwise I can't explain why would anyone bid up to $50 for a copy. Just a printed piece of paper that can be multiplied unlimited amount of times thus can't be scarce. Later on the auction emailed the highest bidder invoiced to pay and demanded their share once the bidder asked kindly to cancel the auction bid which was their mistake. IMHO auctions, at least the self respecting and reputable ones should not allow listing copies of banknotes, paper money (as the least), especially with unmarked photos, even though the text description mentions it's a copy. Some bidders are often tired, after work, distracted or even UI and judge the item by its photo. Once a bidder sees the bid is quite high they would still have space to outbid thinking this must be a real item. You would never think a piece of paper xero copied piece of paper can attract $50 in bids.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

eBay's rules specifically forbid the listing of counterfeits, fakes and replicas.  The age of the item has no bearing on this rule. 

There are many historical replicas on the site and have been since the inception of site.  Most people can understand that when they bid on a copy of the Declaration of Independence that they will not be getting an original, historical document.

That being said, the OP's question was about opinions other users have not what Ebay policy is and/or if they enforce it or not.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

banknotes_1

Someone have accidentally bid on what appeared to be a xerox copy of a Chinese banknote from 1980 which was not marked as COPY on its image yet the description mentioned that it's a copy. Usually such a reproduction, replica or a copy would not attract more than $5 in bids, but apparently most bidders must have not read the description and bid just looking at the photo, which wasn't marked as COPY. Otherwise I can't explain why would anyone bid up to $50 for a copy. Just a printed piece of paper that can be multiplied unlimited amount of times thus can't be scarce. Later on the auction emailed the highest bidder invoiced to pay and demanded their share once the bidder asked kindly to cancel the auction bid which was their mistake. IMHO auctions, at least the self respecting and reputable ones should not allow listing copies of banknotes, paper money (as the least), especially with unmarked photos, even though the text description mentions it's a copy. Some bidders are often tired, after work, distracted or even UI and judge the item by its photo. Once a bidder sees the bid is quite high they would still have space to outbid thinking this must be a real item. You would never think a piece of paper xero copied piece of paper can attract $50 in bids.

Yikes! Sadly i am not surprised someone bid it up to $50.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Thank you for your very logical reply.  My point was, and maybe I was too subtle, was that eBay does not allow copies, counterfeit etc. per their policy.  In that case, it doesn't seem like other users' opinions would make much difference.  

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Thank you for your very logical reply.  My point was, and maybe I was too subtle, was that eBay does not allow copies, counterfeit etc. per their policy.

Your Welcome. 

In that case, it doesn't seem like other users' opinions would make much difference.  

Well that seems like your opinion. 😀

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

This is my opinion how COPY (replicas, reproductions etc.) should be handled while being sold:

1. Ebay and all other auctions and stores should Create a separate category just for COPIES, REPRODUCTIONS, REPLICAS, COUNTERFEITS to avoid customer confusion and wrongful, mistaken accidental bids.

2. Require all sellers mark their reproduction items and other COPY items with COPY (REPRODUCTION etc.). (Require to) mark both the photos and the auction generated photos of the actual items with a removable "COPY" digital imprint watermark. Textual description is not enough. The photos have to be marked with large font as "COPY" or "COUNTERFEIT" etc.

3. Avoid listing copies, reproductions, replicas that may infringe on author's or the issuing central bank's Copyright.  Such items should not be allowed to be sold anywhere without their photos being marked clearly and appropriately and the Seller must obtain a permission of the author of the banknote design (except works that are more than 70 years old) must be received prior to the auction which should be inspected by the Auction Expert prior to approval of the auction. Not only that, but the customer (who bid erroneously by not noticing a single word "COPY" in the textual description of the lot) should not be requested to pay the auction fee for such allegedly illegal items (unmarked copies or even counterfeits) that may infringe on Copyright as the least. 
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Are we talking about a copy of a major work of art or the reproduction that hung over Grandmas sofa such as the "The Gleaners"?

Vintage 'The Gleaners' by Jean Francois Millet Framed Print | eBay

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Clearly marked reproductions should be allowed. Anything in the grey realm?

...well it's ebay, innit?...

There's no safety net. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply