cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know what this type of bowl is called?

Anyone know what this type of bowl is called? About 5" wide and 2 3/8" tall.PXL_20240508_144904046.jpgPXL_20240508_144957891.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

While looking at it, I had another thought. Could this be some sort of globe for a light?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I would list it as clear pressed glass footed bowl.  To me it looks like it is missing a lid as there seems to be an indent on the lip where one would sit.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

This seller is calling it a powder bowl, but powder bowls usually have lids. Perhaps it is a powder bowl missing the lid? I think the idea it's part of a vanity set is probably accurate based on the style.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304771763306

This listing is calling it a lens, not a bowl - seems like an "out there" guess to me.

https://www.tias.com/vintage-large-8-footed-lens-unknown-use-690325.html

This one is 3 footed, not 8 footed, and it has a lid, but there's a good explanation that it was part of a set and it's a perfume holder:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1443294340/duvinne-ny-glass-globe-perfume-holder

@silverstatetreasureboxes is usually pretty good with this mid century stuff. She might have an idea.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@wastingtime101 I too was thinking powder bowl but the size is pretty large for that.  I have a smaller powder bowl (with lid) that is similar, which is what made me think of that.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I believe it is missing its lid and it is a powder bowl for a lady's vanity top.  

Rita

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I just read the listing about it being a lens.  The one point that was mentioned was the raised ribs on the inside. If it was a bowl, stuff would get stuck between the ribs. A new direction to search!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

Thanks for the tag wasting, i would agree that its depression era. Now Imperial glass co (late 20s- early 30s) did produce a similar bowl same style feet in which it's referred as Artistic feet and it had a covered dome lid. Hazel Atlas late 30s had a pattern that was similar as well called Aurora which was inexpensive to obtain.

I also seen the wording of Utilitarian bowl being used.

This info is from my depression glass book. Keep in mind that the folks who bought this stuff set their tables to the max. That's all I got, with no mark from manufacturer and hundreds of glass makers back then all I can say to the OP is list what you know and describe it good. @deserdog 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Check the item condition on your live listing @deserdog - I think the info about a bank lock/key is leftover from a "sell similar" event. 😉

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

thanks for the heads up!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply