cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Open: A First-Timer's Perspective

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Last week, we shared news and information from eBay Open, the eBay seller event of the year. We told you about the inspiring and informative presentations, the lifelong friendships that were formed, and the actionable advice given by expert sellers. This week, we’re publishing two stories direct from sellers who attended. First up: Dave Miller of Dave’s Online Coins shares what he learned at his first eBay Open.

1EL_8800_eBayOpen201dave.jpg

“Intelligence drives operations.” That’s what I was taught in the Navy’s intelligence school back in 1996. At eBay Open, there was a similar message of cause and effect: good eBay practices drive velocity, or the pace at which an item sells. As sellers, high velocity is what we want in our businesses. From sourcing products to snapping great photos, and from shipping to managing feedback, every part of the process can impact our velocity, and every part of the process was discussed at eBay Open.

Starting with the General Sessions, eBay executives stressed that eBay is a technology partner devoted to helping sellers be more profitable. When it comes to ecommerce companies, the “winners” are going to be those who understand the profound changes happening with technology. eBay wants to win, and much of the information in the General Sessions was about how the company will use emerging technology to do so.

I loved these conversations around disruption—things like the future of package delivery by drone—and the dramatic changes from how business was done just 10 to 15 years ago. It was also exciting to see North America Senior Vice President Hal Lawton demonstrate eBay’s ShopBot on Google Home. Hal showed how you can ask the ShopBot about a specific item (in his case, a special pair of Jordan sneakers) and the ShopBot will tell you what they are worth! I know this feature will help my coin business. For example, I can just ask what a “Morgan dollar” is worth and I’ll know how much I can sell it for on eBay.

1EL_9298_eBayOpen2017hal dave.jpg

When it came to the workshops, my favorite was the session on social media. Seller Kathy Terrill explained how posting my coins on social media sites like Snapchat, Instagram, and Pinterest can bring more people to my store. Kathy, a part-time actress, was also on “Law & Order: SVU” and it was so interesting to hear about her experience acting with Sam Waterston.

Kathy’s story was just one of the many unique stories among attendees. I met Bradley C., who runs the Jeff Gordon Children’s Foundation eBay program. I chatted with the Vanderpools, a husband-and-wife team with an inspiring commitment to eBay. I compared notes with Jay S. from Texas Gold & Silver Exchange, the only other coin dealer I met at eBay Open. I was motivated by Karen P., who runs a large estate business. We bonded over the upcoming eBay Image Search function, and she convinced me to head to more estate sales to pick up coins. And, I was inspired by Susan C., a clothing seller who takes her business very seriously and has genuine care for her customer. Over the four days, I met so many others who felt this same way. I was overwhelmed by the amount of pure emotion my fellow eBay sellers put into their businesses.

1EL_8631_eBayOpen2017dave.jpg

In the expo hall, I spoke with vendors such as PayPal, USPS, and ShipStation, and learned how their tools can assist eBay businesses. eBay sellers could also visit the customer care team to get key insights into their eBay accounts. During the meals, representatives from eBay and the sponsoring companies were right there eating alongside sellers, giving us the opportunity to ask lots of questions. I also got to meet the people behind eBay Radio and chat with Hal Lawton and Vice President of B2C Selling & Global Trust Bob Kupbens.

As I end my eBay Open experience, I’m already looking forward to next year’s event. I learned so much and made so many friends. I received tips on photographing my coins, learned about social media, got a glimpse at the future of eBay technology, and walked away feeling inspired by this amazing community.

davecropped.jpg

Thank you, Dave, for sharing your impressions with us! Missed eBay Open? You can watch videos from the presentations at www.eBayOpen2017.com.

3 Comments
jeffgordon4cure
Adventurer

It was great meeting you too Dave! ebay Open was an awesome expereince to meet and network with so many great sellers, such as yourself. I also learned a ton of new techinques to improve our listings and continue to raise funds for children fighting cancer!

davesonlinecoin
Adventurer

Me too Chris.  I'm looking forward to next year.  hope to have eBay let me talk about coins.  Take care and message anytime.

dave

topdailydeal
Adventurer

I definitely have been there and done rhat practice makes pefect

katie_hammel wrote:

Last week, we shared news and information from eBay Open, the eBay seller event of the year. We told you about the inspiring and informative presentations, the lifelong friendships that were formed, and the actionable advice given by expert sellers. This week, we’re publishing two stories direct from sellers who attended. First up: Dave Miller of Dave’s Online Coins shares what he learned at his first eBay Open.

1EL_8800_eBayOpen201dave.jpg

“Intelligence drives operations.” That’s what I was taught in the Navy’s intelligence school back in 1996. At eBay Open, there was a similar message of cause and effect: good eBay practices drive velocity, or the pace at which an item sells. As sellers, high velocity is what we want in our businesses. From sourcing products to snapping great photos, and from shipping to managing feedback, every part of the process can impact our velocity, and every part of the process was discussed at eBay Open.

Starting with the General Sessions, eBay executives stressed that eBay is a technology partner devoted to helping sellers be more profitable. When it comes to ecommerce companies, the “winners” are going to be those who understand the profound changes happening with technology. eBay wants to win, and much of the information in the General Sessions was about how the company will use emerging technology to do so.

I loved these conversations around disruption—things like the future of package delivery by drone—and the dramatic changes from how business was done just 10 to 15 years ago. It was also exciting to see North America Senior Vice President Hal Lawton demonstrate eBay’s ShopBot on Google Home. Hal showed how you can ask the ShopBot about a specific item (in his case, a special pair of Jordan sneakers) and the ShopBot will tell you what they are worth! I know this feature will help my coin business. For example, I can just ask what a “Morgan dollar” is worth and I’ll know how much I can sell it for on eBay.

1EL_9298_eBayOpen2017hal dave.jpg

When it came to the workshops, my favorite was the session on social media. Seller Kathy Terrill explained how posting my coins on social media sites like Snapchat, Instagram, and Pinterest can bring more people to my store. Kathy, a part-time actress, was also on “Law & Order: SVU” and it was so interesting to hear about her experience acting with Sam Waterston.

Kathy’s story was just one of the many unique stories among attendees. I met Bradley C., who runs the Jeff Gordon Children’s Foundation eBay program. I chatted with the Vanderpools, a husband-and-wife team with an inspiring commitment to eBay. I compared notes with Jay S. from Texas Gold & Silver Exchange, the only other coin dealer I met at eBay Open. I was motivated by Karen P., who runs a large estate business. We bonded over the upcoming eBay Image Search function, and she convinced me to head to more estate sales to pick up coins. And, I was inspired by Susan C., a clothing seller who takes her business very seriously and has genuine care for her customer. Over the four days, I met so many others who felt this same way. I was overwhelmed by the amount of pure emotion my fellow eBay sellers put into their businesses.

1EL_8631_eBayOpen2017dave.jpg

In the expo hall, I spoke with vendors such as PayPal, USPS, and ShipStation, and learned how their tools can assist eBay businesses. eBay sellers could also visit the customer care team to get key insights into their eBay accounts. During the meals, representatives from eBay and the sponsoring companies were right there eating alongside sellers, giving us the opportunity to ask lots of questions. I also got to meet the people behind eBay Radio and chat with Hal Lawton and Vice President of B2C Selling & Global Trust Bob Kupbens.

As I end my eBay Open experience, I’m already looking forward to next year’s event. I learned so much and made so many friends. I received tips on photographing my coins, learned about social media, got a glimpse at the future of eBay technology, and walked away feeling inspired by this amazing community.

davecropped.jpg

Thank you, Dave, for sharing your impressions with us! Missed eBay Open? You can watch videos from the presentations at www.eBayOpen2017.com.