Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Just Launched A Massive Global Ad Campaign

Share Post
News Team
News Team
Last Edited 08:50:45 AM

FYCWC man and shoe.png

eBay’s ambition is to be the place where the world shops first.  We believe our vast selection and incredible spectrum of value, powered by sellers large and small, offers the world a unique shopping experience no other marketplace can offer.

So how do we make that ambition come to life? We’ve just launched our most ambitious advertising campaign to date to remind buyers about all that eBay has to offer—from new to used, from the rare to the commonplace, from the trendy to the classic. Buyers need to know: if it exists in the world, it probably is for sale on eBay.

If you’re a regular reader of this blog, you know we’ve been talking about advertising for a while.  But now, partnering with our new creative agency, 72andSunny, we’ve designed a whole new advertising campaign that is bigger and bolder than anything that came before. The goal, of course, is to bring you new buyers and help you sell more on eBay.

RW23_060817_BlogBody_620x400.jpg

We’re excited to tell you a little bit about the new campaign.

First, we’re taking a phased approach. Phase 1 introduces the theme of the campaign: “Fill Your Cart with Color”, which celebrates personal expression and individuality, establishing eBay as THE place to find unique items. The new creative is bold, fresh and spirited, showing off the uniqueness of eBay shoppers. To give this phase the grand debut it deserves, we launched it during an important moment—Game 2 of the NBA finals, where it was seen by about 9 million people. And then we followed it up with an additional spot during Game 4. Booyah!

Next, we turned on a fully integrated marketing campaign across many channels: cable and network TV, internet video and display, and social media platforms. The bold, colorful creative draws you into an immersive shopping experience, revealing items you didn’t even know you wanted.

If phase 1 sets the tone, phase 2 is all about getting buyers to take action. This phase is designed to break old perceptions about eBay and reminding buyers about the vast selection of our marketplace. This phase is also multi-channel with placements in internet display and video, social media, search and TV, but we’re layering on some unique tactics to reach even more consumers. A bold “out of home” campaign will reach shoppers while they go about their daily lives, in high-profile and street-level billboard placements, among other locations. Here again, the creative is bold and colorful to catch buyers’ eyes and remind them to check eBay.

RW23_060817_FBLinkPost_1200x628_2.jpg

As you can see, the campaign is all about celebrating individuality, highlighting the uniqueness that makes you, well, “you”.  While the campaign is aimed at buyers, it's the unique inventory, brought by our incredible community of small business sellers, that makes eBay the extraordinary marketplace it is.

eBay_Anthem.01_00_39_04.Still022.jpg

eBay_Anthem.01_00_43_20.Still024.jpg

Each eBay seller brings her or his own uniqueness to eBay. That’s what makes eBay a colorful marketplace. So sellers, tell us or show us (photos welcome!): how is your business or way of doing your business unique? In other words, how do you “do you” on eBay? Write or share pictures in the comments section below.

25 Comments
by Community Team | Updated
Community Team
Community Team

I really like this new campaign! Can't wait to see more, and looking forward to seeing what's on the eBay campus. Of course, I shop on eBay first. T shirts, computers and electronics, stuff for the kids and more!

I don't know WHY I was looking at a pink phone case...

Capture.PNG

d-k_treasures
Rockstar

Buyers need to know: if it exists in the world, it probably is for sale on eBay.

Buyers need to FIND it on ebay first - and not repops from china, which is usually what is shown first.

by vintagecraze50 · Guide

Thats a mighty fine advertising campaign and I for one am EXTREMELY grateful for this as I KNOW all of this is going to make a big impact. So much so that I think our notorius competitor is getting a little nervous paying sellers to add more inventory. Just read it today on the web. LOOKOUT, the people are coming.

by vintige · Thrill-Seeker | Updated
vintige
Thrill-Seeker

This is great! I can't wait to see if this brings it sales.

-Snoop

by slotqueen5x · Scout
slotqueen5x
Scout

Absolutely LOVE this new campaign!!! So vibrant and full of excitement!!! Hoping it will bring many sales for all! 

by lx-talon · Rockstar
lx-talon
Rockstar

I like it. Hope it generates more sales for sellers. That remains to be seen.Smiley Happy

by westhollywoodboutique · Thrill-Seeker | Updated
westhollywoodboutique
Thrill-Seeker

WOW!! That commercial was filled with ENERGY, COLOR, FUN, and EXCITEMENT.  I also loved seeing the EBAY Logos!  I thought that it was Amazing because there was very little DIALOUGE  from an VO artist/entertainer.  But the natural shots of the people who were just out there enjoying their purchases was PRICELESS. I do believe this is a GREAT campaign something that will breathe a lot of new customers, bring back old ones, and make those like me more excited to buy/sell on here. GREAT WORK! It's amazing to be apart of such a great organization where we all can come together buy, sell, or even talk on this board.     Ebay... You are AWESOME!

shopping4rare
Adventurer

Ebay can put up all the ads they want, but when they are destroying their sellers what are the ads going to do?  Ebay needs to stop hurting their sellers first!  Stock prices are going down due to hindering sellers from selling items.  Ebay will grow financially when their sellers grow financially.

Keep putting up ads to attract buyers while destroying your buyers.  End result ebay will have buyers that will not have anything to buy!

Love this! Especially like them showing using mobile devices. We're competing with a huge market digitally. That said, the mobile app for android needs to be improved. I've tried using it, and just gave up as it doesn't seem to work well at all. Could be I'm doing something wrong..

Rockstar

I just saw the ad today while watching one of my favorite shows!!

Totally LOVE all the colors and the people that were included in this ad!

by candd205 · Trailblazer
candd205
Trailblazer

After the NBA game, I have been watching for the ads on other channels and shows, and I have seen it multiple places. I think this will be great for sellers and buyers. Ebay wins against the other shopping areas, because ebay has unique things people are looking / hoping to find. The sellers win because it will increase sales. The buyers win because they have found something that they can't find somewhere else. Looking forward to seeing the awesome results of the ad campaign.

d-k_treasures
Rockstar

I think this will be great for sellers and buyers. Ebay wins against the other shopping areas, because ebay has unique things people are looking / hoping to find. The sellers win because it will increase sales. The buyers win because they have found something that they can't find somewhere else.

Except that the ad only shows stuff you can buy anywhere. So no one 'wins'.

THERE OKAY, I'VE NEVER SEEN A EBAY COMMERIAL THAT I LIKED

pjsmith2719
Adventurer

Nice energetic spot. Advertising will get new people to take a look at the site.

Good job.

by michelanton.st.a · Scout | Updated

I saw THREE ads today on three major international sites!!!

They looked great; very clear, eye-catching.

So impressive!!!!!

by zegun · Adventurer
zegun
Adventurer

Finally eBay listened to sellers...kind of.

YouTube is probably dying for advertising, and would probably give eBay a great price since so many places ditched advertising there (and probably improve the eBay search results).

I haven't seen a single ad. 72andSunny and eBay please try to recall that the people who spend the majority of money in the world are ditching TV and print.

I just did a google query for "Lego Batman" as Toys R Us sent me an email about it.....6 pages in and I still have not see any eBay link. Walmart, Amazon, Lego, Target, Toys R Us are all there.

I did search for Callaway Golf and eBay was on the first page, but I wouldnt have seen it if I just looked...i only noticed it when hitting the find command...smh.

Cool everything is available on eBay!!!! I just can't find it EASILY without directly searching eBay Smiley Sad

eBay's eBay | Fill Your Cart With Color ad has <25,000 views on YouTube after a week...viral marketing at its best.  Hopefully the 95 million Goldman Sachs gave MDC helps boost sales.

Why was MDC Partners subpoenaed by Justice Department...oh yeah price fixing...before I digress.

by roluzparts · Adventurer
roluzparts
Adventurer

Great job EBay! Please continue the Sellers's support, it's a very competitive digital market place and without consumers awareness of the options available in EBay it's hard to compete.

kenlindsey382012
Adventurer

Great job eBay, it is good to know you are not going to go with Statis Quo.

Ken

by zegun · Adventurer
zegun
Adventurer

I've been an eBay member since 1999. I guess I have higher expectations. 

I'm really starting to wonder if I made a big mistake after an 8 year break coming back. eBay seems to have lost what made it such an amazing platform. I think it happened when they got rid of the "level playing field" philosophy. 

It's great that eBay is opening the coffers for increased advertising...if they can get people to think "let me check eBay" that's great. ebay used to be what amazon and google are now...the goto place. 

Only time will tell. When I talk to a lot of ebay sellers now, I feel like I'm talking to a virgin about sex. 

I think this is a super idea. I started with eBay to help grow my ecommerce business and plan to stay. Good job Ebay. John

granny_glitters
Adventurer

Coach Ashley Signature Pink Multicolored Snaphead Satchel Shoulder BagCoach Ashley Signature Pink Multicolored Snaphead Satchel Shoulder Bag

Coach Madison Periwinkle Leather Maggie Shoulder BagCoach Madison Periwinkle Leather Maggie Shoulder Bag

Coach Gallery East West Signature Embossed Patent Leather ToteCoach Gallery East West Signature Embossed Patent Leather Tote

Coach Madison Jade Patent Leather Maggie Shoulder BagCoach Madison Jade Patent Leather Maggie Shoulder Bag

Coach Madison Sabrina Satchel Shoulder BagCoach Madison Sabrina Satchel Shoulder Bag

eBay has been an incredible learning experience for me. The trial & error ride of my life. After being a stay at home mom for many years, I strived to become financially independent. A friend had shared her vision with me, helped me get started and then turned me loose to make my own mistakes, I was excited, terrified, and hopeful for the future. Along this 2 year journey I have learned so much, made many mistakes, learned a lot from my mistakes and adjusted my process. I can say, eBay has allowed me to reach and exceed my goals much quicker than expected. Now I have raised a bar I did not think was possible. I still struggle with photos, always trying new ways to depict the true colors of my items, adjusting my policy's, listings, and descriptions to entice buyers with absolutely HONEST descriptions, which to me is the most inportant aspect of selling. There will always be that customer who will not be happy no matter how many back flips I do. I have finally learned not to take it personally. That lesson was a difficult one! Good luck to all you new eBayers! You can do it!!!

Tia

👍

by branman055 · Adventurer
branman055
Adventurer

The items from Oakridge Garden Tools beautiful colored logo and box are a good candidate as well. High Quality Gardening Tools and Metal Detecting KnifeOakridge Garden Tools.jpghori-hori-knife-garden-shears.jpgORGT4 Piece Kit_burned.jpg

rainbowranchmom
Adventurer

Am hopeful that this new campaign is effective! My customers know that I search for the unusual and the treasure out there - many of my lstings aren't unusual but this campaign hopefully will reach the others out there like my followers who look for the avant garde, the unique, the eclectic "what is it?" and the vintage memory they can recover in my store.  Thank you and good luck - I sure hope you are successful so we can see our declining sales rise.an early piece from a Florida Artist Roehm but it never sold!an early piece from a Florida Artist Roehm but it never sold!

centroneinvestments
Adventurer

Great campaign I truly hope it create more sales for the sellers!Great campaign I truly hope it create more sales for the sellers!

by | Updated
Rockstar

I don't watch TV, so I haven't seen any of the commercials.  But, I have seen two eBay billboards for the new ad campaign this week. One said:

Fill your cart with color

and the other one said:

Find what makes you, you

LIke this!

audrey_tracy wrote:

If phase 1 sets the tone, phase 2 is all about getting buyers to take action. This phase is designed to break old perceptions about eBay and reminding buyers about the vast selection of our marketplace. This phase is also multi-channel with placements in internet display and video, social media, search and TV, but we’re layering on some unique tactics to reach even more consumers. A bold “out of home” campaign will reach shoppers while they go about their daily lives, in high-profile and street-level billboard placements, among other locations. Here again, the creative is bold and colorful to catch buyers’ eyes and remind them to check eBay.

RW23_060817_FBLinkPost_1200x628_2.jpg