Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Guaranteed Delivery: Three Things You Need to Do to Participate

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 12:04:11 PM

We’ve been talking about eBay Guaranteed Delivery for a few months now, and we’ve encouraged all qualified sellers to opt in before it goes live to buyers. Well, that day is here. eBay Guaranteed Delivery has started rolling out to buyers and will be available to all eBay shoppers by early November.

eBay Guaranteed Delivery guarantees delivery dates for your items based on your location and the location of your buyer. It offers buyers assurance that their package will arrive within three days, and it increases buyers’ trust in the eBay shopping experience. We already know that 72% of online shoppers say on-time delivery is the top reason they are loyal to retailers. This Holiday season, buyers may increasingly look to sellers who can ensure their items will arrive on time.

Opting into eBay Guaranteed Delivery helps set your listings apart, protects you from negative feedback related to delivery when you meet your obligations, and allows eBay to handle customer service related to late delivery.

The Buyer Experience

When buyers browse listings, the default view is to show items with free shipping first. On the search results page, buyers can toggle to filter the results by items guaranteed to arrive in three days or less, they see only listings that:

• are from buyers who opted into eBay Guaranteed Delivery
  • meet the criteria for an eBay Guaranteed Delivery listing
  • will arrive in three days or less based on the seller’s and buyer’s locations
  • will be shipped domestically

v1_desktop_hero6.gif

Two-thirds of items sold on eBay already arrive at their destination in three days or less, so we know our sellers are shipping fast. But, if you want your listings to show up when buyers filter for items to arrive in three days or less, there are three things you need to do right now.

1. First, opt in.

You’ll need to opt in if you qualify. Right now, the option to opt in is being rolled out to sellers in phases. If you’re on the waitlist, keep your eyes out for an email telling you when you’ve been added to the program.

1. Ensure your listings are eligible.

Opting into eBay Guaranteed Delivery does not mean that all your listings will automatically be included. Not all listings are eligible, and you can decide on a listing-by-listing basis which of your eligible listings you want to guarantee.

To be eligible, an item must be able to reach the buyer in three days or less and have an immediate payment requirement.

There are two guarantee options: handling time and door-to-door.

shipping info .jpg

If you’re a small or medium business, the handling time option is probably best for you. Set a same-day or one-day handling time on the listings you want to guarantee. eBay will determine the guaranteed delivery date for that listing based on your and your buyer’s locations. Once you’ve sold the item and received payment, make sure the item is scanned by your carrier within the handling-time window.

The requirements for guaranteeing listings using the handling time option are:

With eBay labels, you also receive discounted shipping rates, and validated tracking is automatically uploaded to eBay when your label is printed. Using an eBay label enables eBay to reimburse buyers for any late deliveries as long as you meet your same-day or one-day handling time.

If you run a larger business and want to guarantee your own delivery dates, opt for the door-to-door option. To qualify, you’ll need to set up rate tables for your shipping and associate a rate table with each listing you want to guarantee. You can create rate tables based on the item (ideal if you sell items that are mostly the same weight) or by weight, which calculates a minimum price plus a cost per pound based on the weight you give at the time of listing (ideal if you if you sell items of various weights).

You can create up to 20 rate tables to cover different types of items or account for shipping from multiple warehouses. Rate tables are the best way to let buyers see the shortest delivery times and most competitive prices in your listings. If you don't want to use rate tables, you can switch to the handling time option.

1. Understand and prepare to meet the performance requirements.

Sellers who fall below the minimum requirements may become ineligible for eBay Guaranteed Delivery, which means your listings may no longer show up to buyers as guaranteed (and get that visibility boost). The requirements for the handling time option include a 97% or higher on-time handling rate 95% or higher usage of eBay shipping labels (through eBay or through Shippo or ShipRush). For the door-to-door option, the requirements are a 97% or higher on-time delivery rate and 95% or higher tracking upload rate.

Whichever method you use, door-to-door or handling time, you’ll need to ensure you meet these requirements, or risk being removed from the program.

The Holiday season is quickly approaching, so get your listings ready for eBay Guaranteed Delivery now. Make sure you’ve opted in if you haven’t already, choose the delivery method that’s best for your business, and ensure your business is prepared to meet the required performance standards to participate in the program.

12 Comments
joesoucie22012
Trailblazer

Since there was No Christmas season last year for me as you Hid my listings from Dec. 16-Dec. 25 and i did not get one sale untill Dec. 26Th i thought i would opt into to this but of course its been over 1 week and ive heard nothing from you. Go figure....looks like another Depressing No nothing Christmas for me.

victorjunkman55
Rockstar

If any seller here is a TRS, who ships same day / next day, who's Delivery date is already 3 days or less, No need to Join anything. I refuse to Guarantee the work of the United States Post Office and / or their workers. I have busted my buns to be TRS, Ship fast, Describe my Items in great detail, Pictures to die for, Never had bad feedback in over 500 sales worldwide, Only to have half my FVF discount taken away and treated like a second class member, and have my listings hidden or placed at the bottom of a search. ( when a 30 day BIN runs its corse without a single view, not even a bott view, this speaks volumes to me) I flatly refuse to join this program, I Guarantee the work I put in here and not the work of others. My Customers are pleased with the service I offer on eBay,  you should be too.  Thank you.

by suzyssurplus-ishkabiblemoney · Adventurer | Updated

You know Forget it Better not to even go there

prairieprimitives
Adventurer

If a seller chooses the one-day handling time option, is that 24 hours from when the order is received ... or by close of business the following business day? 

I opted in yesterday, but was put on the waiting list. Do you have any idea how long it may be until my account is included in this new feature? I will probably be listing more things next week! 

by lngallery · Adventurer
lngallery
Adventurer

I purchased 2 items from seller on 14th, recieved just one on the 18 th,,still waiting for second! I notified resolution center they said wait til 29 which is today..I notified them because I still don’t have item! She lied and said she sent second one (she never sent, couldn’t provide tracking) then she went away for several days. After resolution center contacted her she said she’d ship it and gave a tracking number, but today is 29 and I still don’t have item. Was going to be a friends bday present ( 2 matching items I was going to make into bookends, 2 small vintage cans) BTW she charged $7 to send an empty 12 oz. can, and did not send it priority mail..She has a lot of sales (over 2000 so I’m wondering if ebay values her a frequent hi volume seller and is ignoring me.

boston*fabric*stash
Trailblazer

It does not combine shipping consistently.    

I opted in and it no longer combined shipping on items,  giving buyers my discounted shipping rates.

I had a customer that wanted to buy 5 different fabrics ,  but shipping added  up to 18.00 and there was no way  to ask for a new invoice.   This was a lost sale for me.   I wonder how many customers saw the shipping and than backed out.

I also have my shipping set at a promotional rate of 5.25 .    This function stopped working,  letting shipping fees add up.

I tried Flat Rate shipping with an amount for additional items.    This only worked if someone bought multiples of the same item.

I would love to opt back in,  but only if they can get the promotional shipping rate to work.

by marmalade_mercantile · Adventurer | Updated

The requirement to use eBay labels is very disapointing.  This seems like the kind of program eBay would want professional sellers to praticipate in.  We'd like to but we likely won't change the entire workflow of our business across all channels in order to do so.

by div_style · Trailblazer
div_style
Trailblazer

I opted in for my other store, which is excusively small packets, (and not this one that is mostly letter mail) at the beginning, handling time only.  My sales in that store are up in September 28% over August.  Certainly other factors may be at play, but I'm sticking with GD.

jennifermcewen5
Adventurer

I am so confused by this GD roll out. I have 600 items in my store and I had a consistant 350-400 items a month sales

I have a 1 day handeling time. Once this program rolled out though my sales have decreased 50% overnight

I cannot tell if its the GD roll out or Promoted Listings roll out, but something has squashed me and right before 4th quarter. I am so confused

by ace2468 · Adventurer
ace2468
Adventurer

Well I must say I am disappointed that my Top Rated Seller (TRS) 20% discount was cut in half. I am guessing it happened to make way for this promotion to give the other 10% back. Maintaining that TRS is so hard in today's market and to cut the benefit in half was unfortunate. Like anyone who qualifies for TRS, I am already shipping out same day or next at the latest so this new program will be a no brainer to join. Just seems like more hoops to jump through to get back what I already had. 

by co-lektor · Adventurer
co-lektor
Adventurer

I cannot GD. I live in small town. USPS office open 5 days, 8 to 4:30, closes 1 hour for lunch. New people working all the time. Not very dependable.  I have to drive 44 miles for any special packing supplies. I do best I can.  .. I joined eBay in 1998. WOW! eBay was GREAT. (My old history is gone.)

As ace2468 noted, since the TRS discount was recently cut in half it simply is not worth the extra effort for most of us.

eBay aslo cut the eBay bucks rebate program in half too.

What are they doing with all the extra cash?