Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Complete Guide to Marketing Your eBay Business on YouTube

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 10:59:03 AM

Cat videos. Flash mobs. Dubious athletic stunts. People flock to YouTube for any number of reasons and that includes learning about businesses and products.

You’ve probably come across a YouTube product demo, like this one for fire pits, the “Will It Blend?” craze, or this beauty tutorial that’s racked up over a million views.

Depending on what you sell, YouTube can be a powerful platform to grow your brand. You can use it tell the story of your business, introduce new products, or create those ever-popular how-tos.

YouTube currently has more than one billion monthly users—that’s nearly one-third of all internet users in the world—and their most dedicated users watch more than an hour of video content every day. For businesses, there’s a huge opportunity to reach a highly engaged audience.

Below we’ll go over everything you need to know to start marketing your business on YouTube.

Is My Business a Good Fit for YouTube?

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 2.50.06 PM.png

There are a lot of different ways to use YouTube to grow your brand and business. That said, some products are easier to showcase than others. If you sell in the following categories, YouTube might be a great fit for your business.

Fashion

People love seeing clothing on actual human bodies. It’s one reason why large companies like Zappos have invested in technology to create videos to accompany product images for almost all of their shoes. If you’re a fashion seller, consider modeling the clothes yourself (or asking a friend) so people can get a sense of the item’s true color, texture, and movement.

Pro-tip: If you sell clothing, consider including your model’s height, what size the item is, and whether it runs true to size in your video and description.

Motors

When someone is shopping for a car, they want to see every detail. Take them on a tour! Pop the hood and look inside. Turn the car on and let them hear the sound of the engine. All of these sensory details work wonders to make your product come alive and, if you have expertise in the area, allows you to show your potential customer that you know what you’re talking about. If you’re really ambitious, you could even create a commercial for your vehicle…

Makers

More than any other seller, makers should embrace video. If you sell handmade items on eBay, let people see what goes into each of your products! If you paint or work in another visual medium, for example, you could set up your camera to capture a time-lapse film of your process.   

Collectibles

For people selling collectibles or other unique items (e.g. instruments), YouTube videos can really allow you to build trust with your customers. You can carefully walk customers through the condition of your item while also pointing out any details that prove the item’s authenticity.

Remember, YouTube is just one social platform among many. If you decide that video is simply not your cup of tea, you’ve got options. Get an overview of how to market your business on Facebook here and Instagram here.

How to Set Up a YouTube Channel

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 2.57.40 PM.pngTo create a YouTube channel for your business, the first thing you’ll need is a personal Google+ profile as well as a Google+ page for your business.              

Once that’s done, you’ll be able to create your YouTube account for business, which involves filling out your account details and uploading a few photo to build your brand. You’ll also have the ability to customize your channel so that it matches your eBay Store brand.

For a simple, step-by-step breakdown of this process, complete with helpful screenshots, we like what these guys have to say.

Once you’ve set up your YouTube channel, it’s time to start thinking about content.

What to Post on Your YouTube Channel

Just like marketing on Facebook, Instagram, or any other social channel, you should aim for a mix of content that engages, informs, and entertains. Let’s take a look at a few different kinds of posts that work well for small businesses on YouTube.

Brand Stories

Think of brand stories as a way to let your customers get to know you and your business. Letting them have a peek into your business helps you stand out in any competitive marketplace and build real relationships with your customers.

Here are a few ideas for brand stories you could tell with video:

• Share a personal story: Tell your customers why you started selling on eBay. What drew you to the business? What do you sell and why?
  • Give a tour of where you work: Take your customers on a quick tour of your warehouse (stockroom, garage, basement, etc.) and tell them a bit about how you run your business.
  • Interview a team member (if you have employees): Short and sweet, the employee testimonial is a great way to showcase your culture and help customers make a connection with whom they impact when they shop from you. (No team members? Don’t forget the power of an office pet.)
  • Product announcements: Tell people about what’s coming down the pipeline, especially if it’s newsworthy. For example, if you sell new electronics, you could talk about an upcoming product that you’ll be selling and why you’re excited about the release.

Educational

From IKEA hacks to cooking tutorials, the internet is full of videos that seek to educate and empower. These kinds of informative videos can help your customers understand how to use your products while also acting as a vehicle for promotion.

Here are a few types of educational posts to consider:

• The How-To: Walk your customers through the set-up and use of one of your products, if applicable. Call out special features and situations when they might be of use. If you sell baby strollers, for example, you might want to show how to attach a sunshade or rain cover.
  • Care and Repair: If you sell a product that benefits from maintenance, share your recommendations for products and tools that can help them. For example, if you sell bicycles, you might suggest your favorite puncture repair kit or chain lubricant. (If you also sell those products, use it as an opportunity to cross-promote!)

Lifestyle

Do you have interests or hobbies that relate to your business? Have you had interesting experiences using your product in your own life? YouTube is a great place to share these stories and bring people along on your journey.

How to Make Your Posts Perform

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 2.49.51 PM.png

There are two elements that go into making a great YouTube video: production and editing. For the purpose of getting you started, we’re going to focus on the production side here.

Story

Your message is the most important part of creating a great video. Are you telling a story about your business? Introducing a new item that you’re going to start selling? Or doing a product demo? Decide on three key points that you want to share, write them down if that helps, and do a few practice runs.

Lighting

Never underestimate the power of good lighting. If you don’t want to invest in any additional equipment, you can improve video simply by using multiple light sources, which will help prevent distracting shadows. For a more professional lighting setup, you’ll want to understand the basics of three-point lighting. Here’s a tutorial on how to do it on the cheap.

Camera

There is no need to own a fancy camera to make a beautiful YouTube video. Most smartphones will do the job really well, but there is one condition: You should absolutely invest in a tripod.

Sound

Sound quality largely depends on how you record your video. First, choose a quiet spot (if that’s an option). Next, think about your microphone setup. If you’re planning on using the built-in mic on your computer or camera, it might pick up any noises in the background (hello, leaf blower guy). Consider picking up a cheap external mic to improve your sound quality. It’s not too difficult to find affordable lapel-clip microphones for recording individual voices, like some of these.

Once you’ve published your YouTube video, don’t forget to take advantage of your other social media platforms. Share your video on Facebook and Twitter, and invite your fans to subscribe to your channel.

These are a few of the factors that will help you produce a great video for your business. It’s important to mention that just like other social media, you should always aim for quality over quantity. If you’re pressed for time or at a loss for what to post, take a break and come back when you have an idea that you’re excited about.

As video becomes a bigger and bigger part of how we interact on social media, YouTube is an undeniably powerful tool for marketing your eBay store or items. Just remember, you only need your own experience, a smartphone, and tripod to get started.

7 Comments
by maxoptical · Adventurer
maxoptical
Adventurer

Ok,  you forgot one big point to eBay videos.  You didn't educate sellers on how to embed the video in the Ebay listing.

pacificdoorware
Adventurer

Why on earth would I direct anyone from my youtube channel to my ebay store where I pay 10% commission, when I can just sell direct?

Nice try though. Ebay needs to spend their own money on advertising and quit the other **bleep** they've been wasting their money on.

by vintagecraze50 · Guide

Just bought some shoes from Zappos. The videos they use was one of the BIG reason's I made the purchase.  In the coming years I hope Ebay incorporates a way to have these types of videos IN THE LISTING like Zappo's.  A way to do this simply. I agree that having thing like this on another part of the internet is helpful to gain an audience. Having these things directly on the site would really increase sales. Do it Ebay.

Post how to do the embedding of these video here so that it can be done efficiently without any violations of the rules for listing such things. Thanks.

In response to Pacificdoor---Ebay spent outrageous amounts of money on advertising last year. It worked well as far as I can see. The sellers have to do their part to get their product looking good on this site with the use of embedded videos or other types of marketing since this is a site with millons of independent sellers and not like Zappos who sell their own products from one place.

by bake_bo · Pathfinder
bake_bo
Pathfinder

How can I put a short link to a product on Ebay in a Video I have on YouTube? Have generated links here but they are HUGE and I would like a short link I can put in my description of one of my youtube videos.

luxe_auto_parts
Thrill-Seeker

If I'd start a YouTube channel to advertise my business, I'd probably left ebay and sells and went to YouTube to pursue a YouTube vlogger career.)